Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnPi314

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2014
California
I'm biding my time 'till 9.9. Then I'll DIY a PC if Apple doesn't build something I want.

For now, happy with the mini but we will see.

(I've owned four iMac's but always either a) RMA due to buyers remorse or b) eBay'ed off because of performance.

Truth be told though OSX is always preferred over Windows and the industrial design draws me in every time :D

Last edited:

kimjohnsson

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2013
Hi there!

I would probably not buy another iMac for myself, but possibly for the wife and/or kids.

I moved from PC/Windows to my 2013 27" iMac one year ago. I've used two screens for the past 10 years or so, and although I love how the Mac handles multiple desktops, I really feel I need two screens. I know I can just add one, but I want symmetry, and two iMacs where the other one's just a screen is overdoing it :)

Just the other day, I started seriously thinking about trading in my iMac for a Mac Pro at some point. It's wonderful machine, though.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
I'm biding my time 'till 9.9. Then I'll DIY a PC if Apple doesn't build something I want.

For now, happy with the mini but we will see.

(I've owned four iMac's but always either a) RMA due to buyers remorse or b) eBay'ed off because of performance.

Truth be told though OSX is always preferred over Windows and the industrial design draws me in every time :D
I don't think anyone is really expecting iMac updates 9.9. It would be rather surprising if they used any stage time of iOS8, iPhone (iPad?) and iWatch to the Mac line. October seems more likely for Mac updates. It's not all bad though, recent rumors indicate that Nvidia 9xx series may find its way in the iMac if its released in October!

4wheelcycle

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
Definitely buy another iMac, but waiting for retina

I have loved my two 27" iMacs, purchased every three years when Applecare runs out. However, I also love the retina display on my new 15" MBP, so I am hoping Apple will give the next iMac a retina display.

Applecare ran out on my current 27" iMac in June. Right now I am in a holding pattern, waiting to see if Apple's next iMac has a retina display.

I would also consider a Mac Mini and a free-standing 27" Apple retina display, if they offer that combination with a Mini that is comparable to an iMac.

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
iMacs are the only Macs I've owned since 1999. That said, I have no idea what I will buy when the time comes to replace the 2010 here. This machine was running like a pro until I upgraded to Mavericks.

I am conflicted. The all-in-one is both a blessing and a curse. So after several iMacs, I really do not know if another is in my future. I've owned equal about duds to great machines. All depends on the build of the next model and the other new Macs on the horizon.

To be honest the 2012 and later models are perfectly tuned for the OS. Trying to get older hardware to work properly with newer OS's is always a headache.
I always upgrade every two years as I find this to be the best timing to still get a decent resale on the old Mac to help fund the new Mac.

JohnPi314

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2014
California
I don't think anyone is really expecting iMac updates 9.9. It would be rather surprising if they used any stage time of iOS8, iPhone (iPad?) and iWatch to the Mac line. October seems more likely for Mac updates. It's not all bad though, recent rumors indicate that Nvidia 9xx series may find its way in the iMac if its released in October!

I agree. I'm hoping for 9xx because I'm limited w/ the TB port even if I build and eGPU for the mini- which seems like a waste.

I"m doing some reading regarding the 780MX - if it will play the games I want in 1080p, at the very least. If so, then I'll probably trade in the mini for an iMac and then trade up again in four years.

It's still tempting to "go PC" because Broadwell will be a mobo replacement for a PC whereas it may be a whole year before it comes up in the next iMac refresh.

Decisions...decisions...

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
To be honest the 2012 and later models are perfectly tuned for the OS. Trying to get older hardware to work properly with newer OS's is always a headache.
I always upgrade every two years as I find this to be the best timing to still get a decent resale on the old Mac to help fund the new Mac.

No disrespect, but I do not buy to resell. I buy to get the life out of the machine. I do not have the budget even with the resale to buy new every two years. That seems like a waste for me when I do not need that kind of horse power. That I've had over 4 years with my 2010 is a good thing. I am glad this machine has lasted over four years, even if she began staggering about 10 months ago. I hope she can take me to five years, if need be. Then I will certainly have my money's worth.

After 3 great iMacs and 3 dud iMacs, I am not certain I want to play the iMac Roulette again.

lookatchu

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013
I'd like to say no, but then I'd be a HUGE hypocrite, because just this past Thursday, my brand new, 21.5" 2.9, SSD, 16GB Mac arrived and I'm loving it. When iMacs (or any Mac) are working right, there is nothing better.

But, with that being said, the following is my disappointing history with iMacs, which probably speaks more to the myth (at least in my experiences) that Apple computers have the highest quality workmanship and quality control. Meanwhile, my work Dell laptop and ancient office Dell desktop are workhorses and keep on ticking without any hardware (or software) problems.

Before I start, you should be aware of Apple's shoddy history with respect to graphic cards since 2006, a quality problem that they forever denied. As I'm typing this on my gorgeous new iMac, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't skeptical, sometimes thinking that I made a mistake and that there will be some hardware failure, whether it's a graphics card or logic board.

Okay, now my iMac history-

1998 - Purchased the original, blueberry iMac. It was very unique at the time and I loved it, other than that hideous hockey puck mouse design. It worked okay, but the HD had such a high pitch sound that it would pain me to sit at the computer for any longer than 15 minutes. I'd get ear and headaches. This was a common complaint on the Apple Support Forum, other than the usual, obnoxious Apple fanboys who trashed those who had the nerve to complain.

As usual, Apple denied any problem. Had one replaced and received another with the same issue, so I had to live with it.

2002 - Apple G4. It might have looked like a desk lamp with a floating screen, but this was the least problematic iMac I've owned. No more high pitch whine, which was a relief.

But, typical of Apple "quality" it had a short shelf life. It crapped out after 2 years. This lead me to by a PC and i DESPISE Windows, so in
2006: I purchased the late 2006 iMac. Loved it till I started experiencing some weird monitor behavior in 2009 that kept getting worse and worse till I had to delete graphics-related files just to get the machine started. This was the start of Apple's faulty graphics cards, which of course they denied existed until five years later and despite thousands of similar complaints.

As an aside, I purchased a 13" MacBook at the same time. Three years later it wouldn't charge or start. Apple, in their usual fashion, denied a battery issue, even though there are tons of similar complaints about this issue, even with the replacement batteries. I had to purchase a battery and a year later donated it to charity.

2010 - Purchased the mid 2010 iMac for my wife. After 8 months it died. Seemingly, the logic board went kaput out of nowhere. Of course, Apple had to replace it. Today, the replacement is still running fine.

2013 - Like I said I just purchased the late 2013 iMac. I'm loving it, but I wouldn't be surprised if something went wrong in a year or two or three. That's Apple quality/denial for you. I know I must sound liek a masochist considering my bad Apple experiences, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When they operate, no PC can match it.

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
No disrespect, but I do not buy to resell. I buy to get the life out of the machine. I do not have the budget even with the resale to buy new every two years. That seems like a waste for me when I do not need that kind of horse power. That I've had over 4 years with my 2010 is a good thing. I am glad this machine has lasted over four years, even if she began staggering about 10 months ago. I hope she can take me to five years, if need be. Then I will certainly have my money's worth.

After 3 great iMacs and 3 dud iMacs, I am not certain I want to play the iMac Roulette again.

I don't buy to resell either, but I do like to have the up to date features that a newer Mac gives and on a two year major update cycle I get the best value in my opinion.

I used to hang on to my Macs until they became unworkable, for instance I spent over £5000 on a new G5 when first released and used it for my work for 8 years, the problem is that after 8 years it wasn't worth anything so it sits in my studio as a beautiful paperweight.

As an example with my last iMac, bought for £2k in 2009, sold it in 2012 for £1400 on EBay and bought my current machine for £2k so roughly £200 per year to keep upgraded to the latest high spec machine.

Seems like a bargain to me, I guess everyone has different priorities. :D

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I don't buy to resell either, but I do like to have the up to date features that a newer Mac gives and on a two year major update cycle I get the best value in my opinion.

I used to hang on to my Macs until they became unworkable, for instance I spent over £5000 on a new G5 when first released and used it for my work for 8 years, the problem is that after 8 years it wasn't worth anything so it sits in my studio as a beautiful paperweight.

As an example with my last iMac, bought for £2k in 2009, sold it in 2012 for £1400 on EBay and bought my current machine for £2k so roughly £200 per year to keep upgraded to the latest high spec machine.

Seems like a bargain to me, I guess everyone has different priorities. :D

You use it for work which makes perfect sense in upgrading every two years, you can write that off too I am sure. I do not my machine for work. eBay is a huge hassle and haven't used them for years (and won't go near Craig's List.) Yes, you got a bargain twice over with the G5 and the 2009. I do have to say this 2010 gave me my money's worth now costs $425 per year with electric bill costs, not too shabby.

But as you say, different priorities. So it's all good.

kurzz

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
No...I just made that decision and opted for a mbp instead of buying another iMac. I either want a separate display or something portable like a laptop. The new iMacs are very sleek but I don't want an all-in-one desktop.

DMARTINI

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2014
USA
If I did not need more of a machine then yes I would certainly buy an iMac again. I will continue to buy them for my wife. She loves her iMac and could not do without it. They are a great machine, especially when they are fully loaded. I have yet to see them really bog down when I am working with them.

But with the work I am getting into, I am looking at going to the nMP for my next machine. Want the extra power it can provide, plus the peripherals that can be added to it. For the average user that wants a desktop, the iMac is one of the best choices out there.

Lie. Success came before work in your quote also. :p

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Lie. Success came before work in your quote also. :p

This quotation has been attributed to several different people. A search indicates that this quote is attributed to Vince Lombardi. Other sources point to Vidal Sassoon, the inventor of the modern hair dresser and Donald Kendall, the co-founder of PepsiCo who said himself, "There is no place where success comes before work, except in the dictionary." Other sources point to Mark Twain.

Glad you take pleasure in calling these famous people lairs. I wish you success without having to work for it.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Love my 2011 21.5 iMac. Still does all I need it to do.

Only reason to upgrade will be when my Mac mini that I use for streaming my iTunes library dies and I replace it with my current iMac.

Would still prefer a monitor less desktop solution though. Something in between a mini and a pro :)

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I was thinking today how much I like my imac. Just about the only thing I dislike about it is I have no vesa mount since I bought it directly from the apple store. Its just frustrating not being able to set it up mounted on the wall and everything like I had originally planned. Just having it on the wall with no external boxes with the wires hidden. just pure bliss.

I am thinking next upgrade cycle I will opt for another imac just with vesa support. So what about everyone else. Would you buy a imac again or change to something else.

All of my iMacs (this is my 5th 27") have been VESA mounted (except for the 2012) so when I upgraded to the 2013 I just custom ordered straight from Apple.
I did like when I could just walk in the store and purchase the computer that day but I feel like I got the custom computer I want, I don't have to change anything and the wait was not long at all.

It was like when you pre-order an iPhone and you finally get that "Out for Delivery" notice 1st thing in the morning and you're watching the door all day until it arrives.

So, to answer the question, Yes I would purchase another iMac or Mac Pro depending on if my needs change when I decide to upgrade to a newer model.
I am a happy repeat customer that out of the 5 27" models have only had a single issue and that was a BT keyboard died and Apple gladly gave me a brand new one and asked if there was anything else they could do. :D

Georgio

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Essex, UK
I must admit that I've only had the best experience in dealing with Apple when things do go wrong.

For instance, it was 2009 when my G5 finally bit the dust I needed a machine and fast so made the mistake of picking up an iMac from PC World as they were the only people I could find that actually had a 27" model with what I needed.

As soon as I powered it up I noticed that the lower third of the screen was dark green so I guessed correctly that a tube had blown in the display. Took it straight back to PC World who refused to swap it or refund it and said it was now Apple's problem as they were the manufacturer.

I didn't have time to argue as I had a big job on and needed a machine, so I did my best and used the machine for a few days in the state it was just to get work done.

Then Apple Bluewater contacted me to say they had a batch of machines come in and I could pick one up from them. I explained the fun & games I was having with PC World and they just said bring in the PC World Mac and we'll swap it.

Well I was up there before you could blink swapped the machine over and left the shop with the biggest grin in the World.
Roll on two weeks, I get the urgent job finished, then I find out that Apple had just released the refresh iMac, feeling a bit cheeky I contact Bluewater again and ask if it were possible to exchange the 2 week machine for the latest model.

Amazingly, they agreed so again I leave their shop with another big grin and the feeling that Apple really are a company that care about their customer's satisfaction, especially in comparison with PC World's shabby effort at customer service.

jordanm86

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2011
Love mine, but in future, I'd probably buy a Pro and nice monitor. The screen is not great on any iMac (no need to get upset, fanboys, I haven't insulted Islam). And the lack of upgradeability isn't either.

I'm in the same boat - love my iMac but think i'd go for a Mac Pro and displays for two reasons:

1) the iMac screen is not great - I've had three of them (all new 2013's) to find one that isn't tinted yellow, have weird streaks on the inside and is useable. My current machine is fine but when I turn the screen brightness up to full, the temp on the BLC proximity board raises to around 57-60 degrees and then it starts to get image retention.

2) I want a second screen but the aesthetics and beauty of the iMac are ruined when paired with another screen that doesn't match (even apples own displays are not the same form factor as the slim iMac so they would look weird side by side).

Personally, I think i'd go for a Mac Pro and pair it with two third party screens

ijlakw

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2013
I'd like to say no, but then I'd be a HUGE hypocrite, because just this past Thursday, my brand new, 21.5" 2.9, SSD, 16GB Mac arrived and I'm loving it. When iMacs (or any Mac) are working right, there is nothing better.

But, with that being said, the following is my disappointing history with iMacs, which probably speaks more to the myth (at least in my experiences) that Apple computers have the highest quality workmanship and quality control. Meanwhile, my work Dell laptop and ancient office Dell desktop are workhorses and keep on ticking without any hardware (or software) problems.

Before I start, you should be aware of Apple's shoddy history with respect to graphic cards since 2006, a quality problem that they forever denied. As I'm typing this on my gorgeous new iMac, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't skeptical, sometimes thinking that I made a mistake and that there will be some hardware failure, whether it's a graphics card or logic board.

Okay, now my iMac history-

1998 - Purchased the original, blueberry iMac. It was very unique at the time and I loved it, other than that hideous hockey puck mouse design. It worked okay, but the HD had such a high pitch sound that it would pain me to sit at the computer for any longer than 15 minutes. I'd get ear and headaches. This was a common complaint on the Apple Support Forum, other than the usual, obnoxious Apple fanboys who trashed those who had the nerve to complain.

As usual, Apple denied any problem. Had one replaced and received another with the same issue, so I had to live with it.

2002 - Apple G4. It might have looked like a desk lamp with a floating screen, but this was the least problematic iMac I've owned. No more high pitch whine, which was a relief.

But, typical of Apple "quality" it had a short shelf life. It crapped out after 2 years. This lead me to by a PC and i DESPISE Windows, so in
2006: I purchased the late 2006 iMac. Loved it till I started experiencing some weird monitor behavior in 2009 that kept getting worse and worse till I had to delete graphics-related files just to get the machine started. This was the start of Apple's faulty graphics cards, which of course they denied existed until five years later and despite thousands of similar complaints.

As an aside, I purchased a 13" MacBook at the same time. Three years later it wouldn't charge or start. Apple, in their usual fashion, denied a battery issue, even though there are tons of similar complaints about this issue, even with the replacement batteries. I had to purchase a battery and a year later donated it to charity.

2010 - Purchased the mid 2010 iMac for my wife. After 8 months it died. Seemingly, the logic board went kaput out of nowhere. Of course, Apple had to replace it. Today, the replacement is still running fine.

2013 - Like I said I just purchased the late 2013 iMac. I'm loving it, but I wouldn't be surprised if something went wrong in a year or two or three. That's Apple quality/denial for you. I know I must sound liek a masochist considering my bad Apple experiences, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When they operate, no PC can match it.

Thank for taking the time to document your experience. I too have a laundry list this long with iMac problems... many of which were never fixed satisfactorily. I have lugged far too many iMacs to the genious bar and will never do that again.

As a general observation... when I see the word "love" in the same sentence as iMac I kind of roll my eyes. I have never understood the emotional attachment with an iMac or any other tech device.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I think if you don't experience any trouble the iMac is the best experience there is for personal use or professionally as a desktop.

I have owned 2 iMacs. One I bought in 2009 (top model)
then I bought a new one late 2012 (top BTO model with SSD)

At day time when I'm in the office I have to work on my PC which I bought after the iMac and in theory should be a bit faster machine. But, every so often, I have to deal with a problem on that one, either a program crash, driver update or something. I have a feeling I have to spend about half an hour every time Im in the office just doing maintenance.
Both my iMacs are running as smooth as they did when I got them. THe newest with 768 SSD is dead silent, quick and responsive in every way.

I gotta say iMac has been the best investment I´ve ever done of a personal computer. Today I work 90% in my home office, simply because the machine is better and the setup with mac and win emulator , just makes it enjoyable to work.

I just hope apple will release a new iMac super model soon, Ill buy it instantly.

JohnPi314

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2014
California

I've used a strawberry-alien-egg-shaped-Mac-w/-the horrid-hockey-puck-mouse, (Mac OS crashed due to INIT conflicts) the G4 Cube (replaced the hard drive due to overheating issues, the logic board once, the NIC card once), a Haswell iMac due to a faculty LCD (returned) and now the sound has mysteriously stopped working on a several month old mac mini.

(sigh)

I feel your pain. I have an ASUS PC sitting on the floor w/ a blank hard drive a Widows 8.1 install disk. (shudders). Maybe it's time to make the Big Switch Back.

Lachhh

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2014
Mainland Europe
I would definitely buy the iMac again. For my mother, that is. The iMac I urged her into getting to replace her ancient Windows machine has served her well and hasn't had a single problem in the three years it's been in her service. It's still chugging along fine on its 1gb of RAM. For a light user who enjoys desktops, I'd recommend the iMac all the way.

For me personally, I'd never get an iMac. The machine just doesn't check any of my boxes, starting with the fact that I don't like desktop machines.
If I need more screen real estate I'll hook my laptop up to an external display. I'm too wed to the idea of computing on the desk, couch, bed or wherever I happen to be at the moment.
I also don't like all-in-one desktops. If I ever did opt for a desktop, I'd do some crazy saving and pony up for the MP.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Love my late-2012 iMac (almost two years old now). :apple:

The only thing I dislike about iMacs, in general, is that the 21.5" version typically is limited to a mediocre GPU… which means it's not so fantastic for some of the latest OSX games (even if using Bootcamp).

I wish that future iMacs would all have the custom-built option (yes I always buy my Macs online from Apple Online Store, so I can custom build them to exactly how I want) that allows me to choose the best GPU available (usually these are reserved for the most expensive iMacs or Mac Pro models).

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
You use it for work which makes perfect sense in upgrading every two years, you can write that off too I am sure.

Yes, but business write-offs aren't all that they appear. Depending on the tax code in one's country, every dollar spent on a new machine might yield only a penny or two in tax benefits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.