Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which design would you buy?

• Total voters

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
If there were 2 models of the iPhone, 1 was the iPhone 4 and one was the design of the original iPhone; which would you buy? Imagine that the iPhone 2g had the same signal as the iPhone 4. They have the same internals.

ttech10

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2008
I mean iPHone internals and iPhone 2g design.

The basics are still the same though (the outside).

Personally having owned a 2G and living with it for a year I want something different. I hated having the same design with the 3G and 3GS so to have a difference I switched colors with the 3GS.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
The basics are still the same though (the outside).

Personally having owned a 2G and living with it for a year I want something different. I hated having the same design with the 3G and 3GS so to have a difference I switched colors with the 3GS.

I owned a 2g as well. I loved it, and it is my favorite phone of all time. I rue the day when I sold it for my 3GS.

mb2008

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
I really think I am going to love the design of the 4, but the 2G was hands down a better form factor than the 3G/3GS. I was really not happy with those. So if the iPhone 4 had gone back to the 2G design, I would have been very happy. I hate plastic.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I would go for the 4's looks.

Had the iPhone 2G for almost two years. The aluminum backing did scratch and so did that shiny chrome bezel and Apple logo. I like the idea that this new version is something I haven't seen before in an iPhone and doesn't scratch on both sides. I also like the idea of the sides being the antenna, it being more squarish to make it easier to hold in landscape, and that it is thinner.

Back in 2007, I would have went for the 2G over the 4. But I want something different this time around for 2010.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I would in a second. The iPhone4 is fugly as he'll IMO, they took a step backwards in aesthetics. I'll miss the sleekness of my 3GS, the new iPhone looks like a late 90s candy bar phone to me.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I would in a second. The iPhone4 is fugly as he'll IMO, they took a step backwards in aesthetics. I'll miss the sleekness of my 3GS, the new iPhone looks like a late 90s candy bar phone to me.

I am so glad to be rid of my 3GS. It was made of terrible materials.
i hated it, I only bought it for the resale value when the next one comes out and I couldn't stick with my 3g(which was obviously equally bad).

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Originally, I didn't like the 4's looks. After seeing that video on how the materials they used, it grew on me. I understood why they went for the boxy look.

The past three iPhones looked practically the same in the front and had the same backside in the last two. Like the RAZR, the design became overkill and played out. Something had to change. Beauty is subjective anyway.

I say if Apple decides to use this design for the next three years, it will likely get played out too and people would want to something different again. It is like in automobiles like BMW. Certain generations I preferred more than even newer ones.

Farfooz

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2009
this iphone 4 looks amazingly slick, i never really liked how the 3g/3gs looked like even tho i had a 3gs, i always missed how my 2g felt and how i was able to type on a table. i love the flat feeling. cant wait for the iphone 4

mdwsta4

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2007
looking forward to getting the iphone 4 thursday figuring it'll change my impression of it. i was not at all a fan of the plastic back and redesign with the 3G. i much preferred the matte aluminum for looks, durability, and feel. after upgrading to the 3GS i ended up preferring the curves of the redesign, but still don't like the plastic. i used to love SE phones so the boxy design of the iphone 4 will likely feel similar. and while the back has supposedly durable glass, it's still going to be a finger print magnet and will probably still scratch.
with the new antenna design, i'd love to see a matte back like the first gen (or ipad) and have the antenna built similar to how the iphone 4 has it. or why not build it around the glass front portion?

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Is the apple logo on the iPhone 4 under the glass or on top?
Someone from Howard Forums mentioned to me that the Apple logo is behind it because I asked the same question as my 2G iPhone got roughed up in that area. I hope so and will find out when I see it live.

If the 5MP camera is underneath the glass too, that beats most cameraphones even with a lens cover! Scratch resistant camera lens protector without sliding it manually. Even the SE Xperia X10 lacks a lens cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.