Would you buy an iPhone in my situation?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dferigmu, Oct 5, 2008.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

I’ve been a Mac user all my life and have been going back and forth on buying an iPhone for a while now. My choices are: keep my unlocked GSM mobile phone and buy a new 32GB iPod touch, or buy a 16GB iPhone 3G.

I really love the functionality of the iPhone and am intrigued by being able to have your music, videos and access to GPS and the Internet all in one device.

One major thing that has held me back from buying one is the fact that it’s locked to AT&T. I might be living in Europe for three months this summer and would probably have to cancel my contract or put it on hold because I really don’t want to risk unlocking it and not being able to install updates. The separate phone/touch would be ideal in this situation, but I’m not sure yet when I’m going, and I feel the touch would be a huge iPhone tease.

I’m also not sure if the extra $30 a month for the data plan is worth it and if I’ll actually like having my phone and iPod all in one device.

Any suggestions on what I should do and what anyone’s experiences have been? :confused:

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Well, why not just wait until the whole Europe thing is over with, and decide then? Why does it have to be now?

3. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Yeah, Wait ti'll you get to Europe, I hear they have better plan's anyways.

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

As the other two users have said, wait until the whole Europe thing is finalized. That is a no-brainer. Wait until you know if/when you are going to be going to get a new phone. It makes no sense to take the risk. If Europe is potentially happening in less than 6 months, then I wouldn't even get the iPod touch, it just will be an extra $400 that could have been put to the iPhone's bill. Unless if money isn't an issue for you.

But I do not think that you will have any issue with the phone and iPod being the same device. My iPod touch makes me wish that it were an iPhone for the 90 minutes a day that I don't have any possibility of internet access, so I think that you will be plenty happy with the fact that you would have internet access everywhere.

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

If you're heading to Italy as part of your Europe trip, you could wait until you get there and buy a factory-unlocked iPhone 3G, since Italy is currently one of the few countries where they are sold. It will cost you more than a locked iPhone here, but you'll have the freedom to use any local SIM card when you travel and you won't be locked to an AT&T contract when you get back home.

6. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the responses!

To clarify, I won’t be moving to Europe. I’ll probably only be there for about three months, and then I’ll come back to the U.S.

I might even consider just putting my AT&T account on hold while I’m there.

7. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

If you really want an iPhone, you could put it on hold, and just use the iPod part of it by putting it in Airplane mode for the full 3 months. That way, you still have an iPod touch sans internet. (I am not sure if you can enable wifi in airplane mode though). If you MUST have an iPhone now, go for it and put your account on hold when you leave for Europe. Otherwise, if you can wait, get the iPhone when you return from Europe.

8. AppliedMicro macrumors 6502a

As far as I recall, you can (have tried this just once). In any case, you can also configure the iPhone with a non-existing "fake" APN so that the phone mode is still active but it isn't able to use the wireless internet. The iPhone basically is the same as an iPod touch and can be used as such, albeit being a bit more expensive.

I must say that I really feel like I am missing out on something without a wireless data plan and being restricted by wi-fi availability. Having internet almost everywhere (literally) is just such a great thing. And, for instance, you cannot really make good of the built-in GPS without mobile internet access.

On the other hand, I am probably going to keep and actively use my old phones. Not just because I regularly carry two, sometimes even three phones with me (No, I will fork out money for multiple iPhones just for having access to more than one network at once ;) ) but also because they do have some advantages over the iPhones, despite being like 5 or 6 years old and with monochrome displays.

Still, if my iPhone did everything my current phones do combined, I would get rid of the other ones. I'd consider having my phone and my MP3 player in one single device a rather good and convenient thing. Of course, your personal opinion may vary. It also depends on your individual usage - the iPod nano or shuffle, for instance, can be easily operated in your pocket, as they do have physical and easily accessible buttons for forward/back as volume controls.

If I were in your situation, dferigmu, I would either...

- purchase an iPhone in the states (cannot assess AT&T plans though, as I live in Europe) and use it as an iPod touch in airplane mode in Europe
    - get an Apple-unlocked phone in Europe, and be free in the choice of a wireless carrier back in the US. The major drawback being that warranty repairs are restricted to country of purchause.

I think, it boils down to this: If you're really intrigued by having internet access (not to mention the GPS) "everywhere", go for the iPhone. Otherwise, an iPod touch will do fine as well, as a music /video player, for using offline apps and the occasional internet / email session where wi-fi is available. And the touch is certainly be more inexpensive.

9. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

if you arent glued down to a contract with a different carrier...nows a good time to get a new phone, wouldnt you agree?
    this day and age, we are beginning to see the fall of cellular contracts, but its still a bit away. understanding there will be a large chance of being in a contract either way can help determine which carrier you want to go for.

i came to at&t with a huge stereotype from the negative treatment i got from cingular and at&t wireless in the past. but for me, things have cleared up and they are a good company. ive got great signal and never seem to drop calls. customer service is par with most other wireless carriers.

when it came to the $30 a month data. i feel as if you really use the data...really truly use the data. than $30 a month isnt that big of a deal.
    i think $30 a month is a steal for the 3g speed i get and i browse and surf non stop. the mrs. on the other hand...i feel as if were getting ripped off because she doesnt use the data much at all.

the iphone is a great product (especially with the 2.1 software). it seems like youve already made your decision and just need help being convinced its for you!

let us know what you decide on!