Would you buy an iPhone with matte screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigert07, Oct 2, 2010.

1. tigert07 macrumors regular

I was thinking today how with the MacBook Pros you can choose between the matte display or the glossy one. Would this be something you would consider with an iPhone? Everyone likes matte screens due to the fact that it's not a finger print magnet. What do you think?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I would not buy one. Because over time, about a month, parts of the screen would get sanded down by the users' fingerprints and turn smooth (like a trackpad). It'd look ugly and the matte coating would eventually collect dirt and dust.

3. tigert07 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah sorry after I made this post I was thinking that the macbook's screen isn't even touced.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

5. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

How is possible to have glass that is matte? It would have to be plastic and would scratch so easily that it would be a headache to maintain.

6. Dyspareunia macrumors regular

My understanding of why the notebooks have/has/had the two different screen options, were mainly for the fact that the newer trend of Glossy screens introduced glare and artificial contrast, while the classic Matte screens did not. It's this artificial contrast that was horrible for people in the graphics industry as what they saw on screen would not translate to what came out of say a printer or plotter. The glare part is more of a nuisance if you are outside or not fond of seeing a partial reflection of yourself while using your computer. Allegedly, there are customers that prefer the glossy/"wet" look to their screens, while others absolutely hate it. There isn't really any contact/touching involved with notebook screens.

How this all translates to having a matte screen on an iphone? I don't really think a matte screen would appeal on a wide basis, because of the appearance of a "duller" looking screen, even if it was less prone to collecting fingerprints. I'm sure the texture might be odd for many too, as most have gotten accustomed to the slippery feel of the glass or glass-like screens.

7. akbc macrumors 6502

I use SGP's Anti-Fingerprint film for my iPhone 4. It has a matte texture to it, which I love. It's much smoother to operate and touch. And the matte brings an anti-glare properties to the screen which helps to see better even in direct sunlight.

So if the new iPhones had matte screen option, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Loved my old MBP's matte screen, and I find it a pity that 13" Pro models don't offer such option.

8. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I love the matte on my MBP. I'd be more inclined to get a matte iphone if it was offered. Glare is not cool.

10. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

+1 I bought this screen protector and at first was kind of disappointed, but grew to love it. Its soooo much smoother to swipe your finger across than a bare screen, and it's about a billion times better than my old invisible shield, which I now acknowledge to be a huge piece of s**t. The only thing that sucks is how it decreases the clarity, but I don't mind it too much. Got that on the front and the crystal on the back.

11. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

I dont get why people keep asking this for a phone....

If you want your screen to look terrible after a week fine whatever, and also matt displays arnt capacitive touch sensetive thats the reason we have glass screens, either way the panel under neath has to be glass

12. felt. macrumors 6502a

No but I would buy a matte screen protector and apply it to my phone..oh wait, I already did, and guess what...it hasen't been sanded down and turned smooth.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

14. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

my friend got an anti-glare screen protector for his iPhone 4 and i really liked how it turned out. it didn't leave any fingerprints or anything, so i ordered 3 for $1 from eBay.

i used to never use a screen protector but changed my mind recently.

15. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I guess the iPhone screen is small enough that the glossy doesn't bother me. But on the iPad, it is troublesome.

16. iphonefouruser macrumors newbie

17. xenuprime macrumors 6502

It would be nice if it came with a screen protector installed.

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would just buy a screen protector. I tried to buy a matte one for my MBP, but installation was impossible.