Would you buy and Xbox 360 now?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by rotlex, Apr 29, 2010.

1. rotlex macrumors 6502a

Quick background - owned an Xbox 360 back in the early days. Traded it a few years ago for a PS3 and never looked back. (Love my PS3) :D

Recently however, I have been dying to play some things I've missed over the past few years. Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 probably top the list. I'm also interested in Halo ODST, Reach and a few other odd ball things.

Few questions, looking for opinions. Would you buy one NOW, thinking that there MIGHT be a slim\newer version available come E3, and do you think the current Elite bundles for $299 are a decent deal? If I wait, I'm hoping the chances of Gears of War 2 and Fable 2 still being around are good.

Do you think the quality of the 360 has improved? I had two with the dreaded RROD that lead me to the PS3.

Thanks for opinions, input, or general comments. :D

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

None of my friends or family have RRoD's for around a year. I think they've finally sorted that problem out.

3. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

With E3 being just over a month away, and all the rumors pointing to the possibility of a new, smaller 360, I would at least wait for that. The current Forza/ODST bundle is a great deal, in my opinion, because those are a couple of great games. But, if you can get a newer, and theoretically better, 360 with the slim, then I'd wait.

As for the reliability, I have owned various versions of the 360 since it launched. I've had 2 RROD, but the last one was quite some time ago. I think the reliability, as Dagless said, has gotten much better. To be honest though, the Nintendo consoles that I've owned throughout the years are the only ones that have never given me problems. Every console from MS, Sony or Sega that I've owned has had issues. I think this is just the sad state that we are in with technology. Parts are made cheap, and will possibly break. But, things aren't as bleak as they were at the launch of the 360.

4. PCtoMAC? macrumors member

I've had a 360 for a couple of years now and had one RRoD incident but at this point if i had to buy another 360 for some reason I wouldnt hesitate.

I don't know much about the new 360 that might be comming out at E3 but if it is only a month away my vote would be to just wait the month see what happens and then make your choice.

I will say this about the new one if they make it quieter and somehow fit the power supply into the box, ill buy one.

5. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input all. Nice to hear, which I had heard elsewhere as well, that the RROD is not quite so prominent anymore.

Still trying to figure out whether to wait a bit and see if a slim model is released, although I admit, waiting at this point seems to be the most logical thing to do. (Besides, I've got FFXIII to keep me busy until then)!

Only bummer would be, which I also doubt, but still worry, is if Gears 2 and Fable 2 will still be available. Guess I could pick up some copies now, but feel kind of silly not owning a 360 at this point. :D

6. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I would wait to see how soon Project Natal will be coming out. If there is a good deal on a Natal bundle coming for the holidays that would be a good reason to wait.

7. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

You can still buy some older 2005-2006 launch games new from some websites, so I really wouldn't worry about that much. Those 2 games you want were both very big titles, so there will always be someone selling them new.

If not, I know for a fact that Fable 2 is available as a download from the Xbox Live Marketplace. It is a little more expensive than if you were to buy the disc in store, but it will always be available from MS if you need it. I don't think Gears 2 is available that way, but I would bet it will show up on there eventually.

8. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I have a console that was from launch.

It had an E74 error, which I shipped in. They repaired it, shipped it back. Working great ever since.

I opened it, it looks like they're using redesigned heatsinks for the GPU, as well as redesigned X-clamps.

9. -SD- macrumors 6502

I'm quite looking forward to Natal. There is a chance that a smaller, Natal equiped 360 will replace the Wii under my telly.

Especially as '98: UM, Garou: MotW and Virtual ON aren't available on PSN.

:apple:

10. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Would I buy one now, probably not. I got a PS3 this winter and hardly ever turn on my XBox 360 now. Only time I turned it on was to play Mass Effect to get my save file for Mass Effect 2. If I had to make the decision now, i wouldn't since I can get both of those games on PC, just like many other 360 Games (sans Fable and Gears).

I'm on 360 #4 due to random issues (1. DVD Drive, 2. AV Lockup, 3. RRoD right out of the box.) Safe to say, not having a console for 3 weeks stinks.