Would you buy it ? Mac Mini without warranty

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by collection, Apr 8, 2010.

1. collection macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying a used mac mini (early 2009) with 2.0ghz and a 320gb hdd. it comes with no warranty, since the buyer claims he doesn't have the receipt anymore and never registered with apple.

selling price is around $570 with magic mouse/wireless keyboard/office 2008 and snow leopard. the stuff is supposed to be in a very good condition and comes with all original packaging.

is this a good deal or should i be worried because of no warranty ? i'd also go around to take a look at the actual hardware before buying of course to make sure it's working.

2. California macrumors 68040

California

Get the serial number from the guy and check with apple when the warranty ran out or if it is still under warranty. But do it fast, you may still have time to buy applecare for it and every passing day matters.

For less than this you can get a new refurb that comes with full warranty.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

And a free printer (apple never seems to promote this very heavily, but it's out there).

4. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

In my experience not having the receipt is OK in terms of Apple warranty, since I believe Apple keeps track in their system when they sold the computer so the warranty starts from around then. Anyways, like another poster mentioned get the serial number from the seller and check the warranty status here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Good luck.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...hopefully its not stolen either...

6. collection thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your input :) He replied that the website only says "Early 2009", nothing else.

7. collection thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems like the mac was not registered when it was first sold. Is it possible to do it still ? I guess not without the receipt ?

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

but how do you know it's not stolen then?

9. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    If you're in doubt just hold off, I've been patient on craigslist and have had some great grabs for my two previous mac mini computers. Both were bought w/ plenty of warranty left because the seller had just gotten them recently.

The recent one was a Mac Mini - 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac mini (Mid 2007). I bought it Jan 2009 off of Craigslist for $375. The seller had originally listed it at $850. At the time I remember that a 1.83 C2D Mac Mini was $599 on the Apple store ($579 w/ a student discount) and a refurbished 1.83ghz Mac Mini was $499 when available. I used that to bring it down. Later I did purchase (Another $62.95) applecare and have it until October 4, 2011.

Back in Spring 2006 I got a 1.42ghz Mac Mini G4 that was just a couple months old. It was like brand new, seller had the receipt and everything. I went to his place and got it from there and he was a pretty cool guy, just seemed to be a random situation that he got it but didn't want it. He had paid $599 + tax. Sold it to me for $300 something. I used the upcoming bump to put justification behind what could be interpreted as a lowball offer but he agreed and met me on the price.