Would You Buy This iMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ibookos9, Feb 6, 2009.

1. ibookos9 macrumors member

ibookos9

excellent iMac running at 2.0 ghz
    1 gb ram
    80 gb hard drive
    dvd-rw superdrive
    airport extreme
    bluetooth
    osx 10.5.6 leopard
    ilife 08
    new apple thin keyboard and wireless mouse
    canon ip2600 printer with new black ink.
    new powersupply
    this imac is flawless. no scratches. lcd is perfect.
    link to specs here: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/stats/imac_g5_2.0_17.html
    $500 or will trade on a high end ibook or powerbook g4

It's screen looks dim but the seller says it's the camera

2. seattle macrumors 6502

If it were me I would get a refurb Mac Mini from Apple for $499 since the 17" iMac is too small for my uses and the Intel chip will run the Snow Leopard while the G5 might not.

3. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

...will not.

4. TrapOx macrumors 6502

$500 is too much for a G5 iMac. You can get a dual 1.8GHz PowerMac G5 for that price.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

That's a decent price. You could go a little lower though. For someone that's even considering a G5 machine means that you don't need the latest and greatest and Leopard will run just fine. But upgrading the memory would probably be the best thing you can do for that G5.

What do you plan on doing? Just a basic web/email machine? Because that will be fine.

Yeah go buy a $600 mini and then you'll have to fork over money for the monitor and keyboard/mouse too. Yeah it will be faster and will run Snow Leopard when it comes out but more basic stuff, the G5 will do it too ;) for half the costs.

6. ibookos9 thread starter macrumors member

ibookos9

I plan on using the iMac for internet and windows live messenger and itunes and maybe some imovie but i do not know. I don't really care that i have the latest software and hardware because the pc i am using now is almost 3 years old and has Windows XP Media Center edition

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Then that iMac G5 will be plenty for you. Just upgrade the memory to at least 2gb and you will have a pretty nice machine to do all your usual tasks simultaneously.

You have 2 memory slots so you can install 2 PC3200 DDR 1gb modules which can be had for $50 for the pair. Sell your 1gb, probably 2x 512mb to offset the costs.

What size screen is it btw? Is it the 20" or the 17".

8. Aintawerd02 macrumors newbie

The hard drive seems pretty small to what you can get for $699 and get 160 Gig hardrive. I would say buy a refurb OR buy from a apple reseller. They are most trusted and offer alot.

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

made up iMac G5

There was NO 17" iMac G5 with a 2.0 GHz chip. The 17" iMac G5 topped out at 1.9Ghz before going Intel. And the HDD started at 160GB, so I have no idea where this model posted comes from.

Attached Files:

10. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I would never buy a non-Intel Mac. They are on the fast track to obsolescence.

11. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

With the G4's, I would agree. A G5 will easily last another two or three years.

I say go for it. It's a great deal, and it will be more then enough power for what you do.

12. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Not to contradict you but there actaually were two 17" iMacs with Intel processors (the last two 17" iMacs), the second of which had a Core2Duo available in 2.0 or 2.16Ghz.

It is referred to as the "Late 2006 CD" (Model MA710/LL with a Machine ID of iMac5,2). It was introduced in Sep. 2006 and was discontinued August 2007. Weird thing is it came with a Combo optical drive even this late. They had 160, 250 or 500 Gb hard drives. It is said to still be available throught the Education direct channel available only to schools.

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

No problem, but I am referring to the G5 version of the iMac, which topped out at 1.9GHz (no way you can round that up) and a 160GB HDD.

14. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You are absolutely right, and I apologize for misreading your post.:eek:

There definitely is a mismatch between the thread title and the listed specs! Think of the deal it would be if the seller thought it was a G5 and it turned out to be the 2.0Ghz Intel- BUT the 80Gb hard drive kills that hope!;)

15. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Some of us are still dealing with 40. :p

16. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

No problem, I had to double check myself on that one. It took me a while to read the mistake, since the OP does state that it's a G5, but specs of the machine are WAY off.

To me, unless like you say the seller doesn't know what they have, I look at mismatched specs as a scam. Like the "Powerbook G5 for sale" ads of yore.

And as for the 40GBs, that's sometimes a blessing. I would love to have a 17" iMac G5 pre iSight for the whatever tickles my fancy.... kitchen Mac for recipes, photo slides for clients, or just a custom mac to F around with.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hate to break this to you, but there was a 17" iMac G5 at 2.0GHz pre-isight. in fact i am using it to post this right now.

18. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy