Would you buy this Quad Mini for...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BoneDaddy, Apr 12, 2017.

?

Would you buy this?

Poll closed Apr 14, 2017.
  1. Yes, decent deal

37.5%
  2. No, not really a great deal

50.0%
  3. GREAT DEAL

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Wait for a better deal

12.5%
  1. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

It's like new, mint condition, with magic keyboard and mouse.

Here are the specs:

2.3ghz i7 Quad Core
    8GB RAM
    Dual drives 120GB SSD and 500GB HDD
    Intel HD 4000

For $530?

Need to know by today. I'm leaning yes, but I want to see if there's something I hadn't considered. Thanks.

2. campyguy macrumors 68040

IMHO there's a better "deal" in the Marketplace. If your deal is not originally a Server model the drive in the upper bay could be one of those that is restricted to effectively SATA II speeds, not necessarily a deal killer but it was a headache for me that led to my buying several Server models (which have dual Samsung 850 Pro SSDs now). The HDD drive size leads me to feel that it could be that it's actually a Server model, but the drives of that size (and not the 1TB versions that I purchased) that I pulled out were all fixed SATA II; installing SATA-variable drives knocked them down to SATA I speeds (lots on the interwebs about this matter). I returned the Minis with 500GB drives back to Apple and exchanged them for the 2x1TB models and they're still in my offices plus one in my home office. My 2¢, your 5 Benjamins!

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...b-2012-mac-mini-server-2012-mac-mini.2038705/

3. chrfr macrumors 603

2012 Minis have no difference in speeds in the two drive bays whether server or not. All the 2012 Servers shipped standard with 2 1TB disks in the standard configuration. 2010 Minis had 2x500 and the chipset in those has some issues with speeds of some SATA disks, but that isnt a factor with the 2012.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2017 ---
    $530 seems like it's a fair deal, not a steal, but not unreasonably high either.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

Not picking nits with you, I respectfully disagree due to my own experience - rather, a crapshoot is more how I'd describe my own experience. I bought 4 non-Server units for my company in 2012/3, the upper bay in 3 of them cut to SATA I speeds - the 4th worked at the expected SATA III, all with the same upgrade parts; my GF also bought a non-Server unit that limited the upper bay to SATA I. All similar to what the 2011 units and some of the laptop units when the optical drive was replaced. 1 out of 5 is my own personal experience, all with non-Fusion installs and 7200RPM Hitachi SATA I/II/III replacement drives, with the lower bays working as expected. I'd expected that the "slowdown" issues were resolved in or by the end of the 2011 model. The replacements, all 2012 Server models, work as expected. YMMV is inferred by me. Cheers.

5. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

For what it's worth, I have a 2012 non-Server QC model that I bought from the Apple refurb store a few years ago and both bays run at SATA3 speeds just fine.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Were you using a 3rd party cable to add the disk to these computers?

7. bigfatipod macrumors member

I don't have access to the marketplace here, so I cannot compare all available information. But, from what I recall seeing on ebay, I think that is a pretty good deal. Not amazing, since its only 8gb and a relatively small pair of drives, but still cheap enough that you could upgrade to 16gb (if you wanted to) and eventually up the drives (again, if you wanted to).

any kind of return policy if it happens to go belly up in 14 or 30 days?

I recently picked up a quad 2.6 model and have been very happy. hoping it makes it a few years until something else is available.

by the way, these minis still seem to have a great resale value if you, for any reason, end up with buyers remorse.

8. BoneDaddy thread starter Suspended

BoneDaddy

Well, I bought it.

I sweetened the deal by doing 400 cash and a 1/10 ounce of gold I've had for a few years.

I plan on throwing 2 256gb SSDs in there, in raid 0. I mIIIIIGHT update to 16gb ram, but I probably won't until I see a pair of 8s for a good price.

I didn't necessarily NEED this, I just wanted to get one while they're still going up for sale, in good condition. Hopefully I can trade the mouse for a trackpad.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 14, 2017 ---
    Actually he was a computer repair guy who used this as his main machine, he admitted to replacing the fan and gave me a receipt and a business card, stating "if anything comes up with this, just let me know, but I promise you it's in perfect condition". And he's local.

That't the one thing that go my wife on board, was the resale value. I would just sell it to get my money back, if this was a poor decision. Maybe even make a little, depending on what kind of upgrades I do.
    Both drives are SATA III in operation. I appreciate the heads up to something that could have possibly been an issue.
    Yea, the only places I've seen true market value, is on here, and sometimes on local adds. Otherwise adds on eBay and other sites are like...

"Ultra turbo fast delicious Mac MINI to slave away for you! It can make gold out of your farts and breath life into your dead relatives!

2.3 quad core
    2gb ram
    40gb HDD

Just the unit, in better than new condition! 30 minute warranty! FOR ONLY 1499.99!"

Haha, a little over the top, but it's something like that.

9. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Sounds like you got a great deal! I bought a used 2012 2.6ghz quad with 16gb and the original Apple 256gb SSD last summer and use it specificially for video editing. Really great machine, I mostly use legacy Final Cut Pro so the HD4000 graphics are just fine for that. It renders video twice as fast as my i7/8gb/512gb MacBook Air.

I got mine from OWC which included a 3 month warranty and 15 day return/exchange, so it was not cheap. But it was still cheaper than the top spec 2014 mini and also 50% faster.