Would you buy this software?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iostream.h, May 19, 2005.

  1. iostream.h macrumors regular

    Mar 4, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    I've done the research to make an application that would download album art from the iTMS database. Assuming it was well implemented in a zippy Cocoa program, would you buy it? And if so, how much would you pay for it?
  2. zap2 macrumors 604


    Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus


    Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Can you explain how your product would be different / better than Clutter or other applications that do album art hunting in conjunction with iTunes now, please?
  4. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502


    Mar 29, 2003
    umm - not much. To me getting it from Amazon etc, (or with the track direct from iTMS) isn't a hassle at all.

    Or have I missed something from what your App does?
  5. James Philp macrumors 65816

    James Philp

    Mar 5, 2005
    It would depend how genuinely useful it is.
    I have passed up on SO many automated ways of getting iTunes Artwork because:
    1. They tend to be slow
    2. A lot of the time it's automated, and you can end up with the wrong artwork
    3. I find I can get a 95% success rate myself and i can do it quite fast- maybe 3-4 albums a minute.

    Do remember that most people will only need to run an automated app like this once or twice, as from then on you can just get the artwork off the internet for every few albums.
    To be really useful it will have to be more simple and more integrated than:
    1. Click on album
    2. Open safari - go to amazon
    3. Seach for album/find it click on artwork (usually a 2 click preocess)
    4. Drag artwork to the window in itunes.

    And if there was something that did this task REALLY well, I'd pay maybe $5 - but that's cos 95% of my stuff already has artwork and the other 5% I can't find (obscure non-retail discs and stuff). For people with 0% it will be worth more, but as i say, if it's automated, it'll only be run once or twice.

    Good luck!
  6. macbaseball macrumors 6502a


    Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    I probably wouldn't buy it. And if I did I wouldn't pay much. Probably $10.
  7. yg17 macrumors G5


    Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    I wouldnt buy it. Takes me 30 seconds to go to Amazon and get the cover, and thats if Synergy for some reason has not found it for me.
  8. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

    Sirus The Virus

    May 12, 2005
    Amazon does good for me, but it would be nice whenever you put a CD into iTunes to automaticly down load the artwork from the iTMS. Thats all.
  9. munkle macrumors 68030


    Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    I'm afraid I wouldn't shell out for something like this. There are already plenty of apps that do the same thing (albeit from Amazon, not iTMS), most of them are free and a lot of them have some added functionality, such as the ability to control iTunes. Not to mention, it's not exactly a huge deal to do it yourself.

    I've liked your previous efforts (Broken Helix and iTMS Extractor), just don't really think this idea is a goer.

Share This Page