Would you buy your TV from the cable guy??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wirelessbob, May 1, 2008.

1. wirelessbob macrumors newbie

I'm glad to hear the iphone is in Canada now but come on..... a phone is just a consumer electronic. They shouldn't be locked to the network. If people had to buy a TV from the cable provider then we would see a lot more PO..ed PPL....:cool:

2. memesmith macrumors regular

Don't know about Canada, but in the UK we still have to buy our Cable Set-Top Box from the "cable guy" even though that too is a consumer electronic, so I'm not sure the analogy works.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I just hate that crap! I remember back in the day, we had rabbit ears and received maybe 14 channels and there was no such thing as "pay per view" "cable" or "satellite" and there was NO FRICKIN' BILL!!!!!! :eek::(

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

You can still get OTA HD channels with an antenna, no bill. I have plenty of friends who get their TV that way.

To the OP: your analogy doesn't hold up. You can buy the phone from more then the provider, you can buy it from AT&T. You can also unlock it an use it on any GSM carrier. You can't buy a Comcast box and expect it to work on DirecTV. You can't buy an Xbox game and expect it to play on the PS3. Providers have exclusive phones all the time, it's how they get people to switch to their service.