Would you consider my macbook pro a lemon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drvelocity, Nov 10, 2010.

1. drvelocity macrumors member

I've got a 2009 macbook pro 17" with applecare that has in it's first year has had the following issues/repairs. My question is if you were in my position, would you be asking for a lemon replacement at this point?

1. When I got it new in box, there was a nice two inch scratch right in the middle of the left palm rest. (Yes, I should have taken it back then but I needed to use it right away and I had it shipped to Taiwan where an exchange would have been impossible).

2. Garbled video, swapped out a new LCD and mainboard.

3. Battery failure, swapped for a new one.

4. Trackpad failure - twice. Both times swapped for a new one. Both times it was the same problem, a normal click didn't register until you pushed down even harder (way past the original click).

5. The displayport output flickers now when I use the 9400m video card, but not with the 9600m. Haven't had this repaired yet.

6. The LCD flickers at low brightness settings when I type. This is extremely annoying and 100% reproducible. Also not yet repaired.

Of course it needs to be said that Apple has been great about all of these repairs, with the exception of number 1 of course which I haven't even told them about as I have no way to prove it origially came like that. And I have used tons of Apple products over the years, most of them have been very reliable. But this is ridiculous no?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yup - a lemon.

I'd insist on a replacement in your position - I went through something similar with a 2007 MBP and got a new machine from them after a short while. They were pretty good about it actually.

3. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

yepp.. that flicker is actually pretty common, you might not be able to get it fixed. Some of the replacements flicker too. Ask for a new computer.