Would you consider this a battery issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Lambros, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Lambros macrumors regular

So I received my iP4 last Friday :) the issue im having is that i am forced to charge my battery every night! it doesnt always hit 0%, but when i received it, i did drain it and recharge 3 complete times. it seems it is depleting quite quickly. i dont use the camera much, i would rarely play any games for up to 1 hour a day. Lately i havent listened to much music on it, but it has been used for push email from hotmail and gmail servers (they send me emails through microsoft exchange as soon as i get them). it seems like there is an issue because i would expect this from and iPhone 3G, but not from a brand new iP4.

Also, it is on default brightness, if that helps at all.

Is there an issue or not?

Thanks everyone!

2. mBox macrumors 68020

There has to be cause I have the same prob.
    Im forced to plug around 6pm. I can tempt fate and not but if I receive a phone call chances are itll die quicker.
    I got this iPhone 4 to replace an old 3G that was doing the same thing.
    However, Im using this new phone way less in all aspects and its draining quicker?
    I would like to take it back to replace but its a 32GB and fear itll take awhile to replace :p

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I rarely get past 5 or 6 PM, so I'd say you're doing just fine.

That's what car chargers are for. The darn things charge really fast. Do you drive at all during the day? Be sure to plug it in when you do.

4. princesultan macrumors regular

if i unplug my phone at 7:30am and use it pretty decently throughout the day, i'll be at around 60% battery remaining by around 11pm. that's with bluetooth on, push on and wifi on.

sounds like your battery is being used up pretty fast.

5. mBox macrumors 68020

What? Were talking, brightness screen down, wifi off, no use of phone and the only thing constant is email and texting.
    When I first got the iPhone 3G, I was using that non-stop all day during a trip to Vancouver and had no way of charging till late 1am.
    The phone survived daily for two weeks without draining.
    It just took a few years to finally end up as an iPod Touch :)

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Sounds a little low, but the battery will generally improve over the first week or two. Don't drain it all the way to 0!!! This is the WORST thing you can do to a lithium-ion battery! You should be able to go through an entire day on this phone under most circumstances, short of heavy gps use, heavy internet use on a bad 3g or Edge connection, or heavy gaming. (Or a misbehaving app in the background).

7. fishepa macrumors regular

I unplugged at 7:30 this morning. I'm at 97% now. That's with push email on, wifi on. Brightness at about 40%. I haven't used the phone that much today though.

8. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

Ok then maybe I shouldn't have drained to 0%. What do you recommend I drain to before recharge? I thought you optimize a L-I battery by dropping to 0. Obviously I was wrong :S

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I would generally try to keep it above 10%. Draining a li-ion battery to 0 will in most cases do damage, reducing the capacity. Some laptops have utilities that tell you the design capacity of the battery, vs. the current capacity. If you watch those and drain them to 0, you will often see an immediate reduction in capacity.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

I don't do that well, but I easily make it through a whole day with decent use, push, wifi, etc. Like I might have 30-40% or more at the end of the day, depending on use. No way it should be dying by 5 or 6 pm unless you're abusing the gps, the brightness, and what have you.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What’s with the draining and recharging 3 times already? This is not good for the battery.

I have to charge my phone every night, but that’s after 4-5 hours of surfing on 3G during the day. On the weekend, I can go the entire weekend without charging, being on home wifi.

12. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

So do you think I have already caused damage after 3 recharges? If so, would it be significant?

13. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

WHAT! nope, lithium batteries should be completely discharge every so often to make sure electrons are being moved inside.... The iPhone has a lithium battery just like a macbook... Is bad to fully discharge if you are not using the product for a long time because then you wouldn't be able to wake up the battery from it's heavy sleep...Here is the official calibration recommendation (Full discharge) for a macbook w/ lithium battery (same as an iPhone battery):
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/9036.html

Not really damage, what you have done basically you lost 2-3 full cycles of battery life, lithium batteries are based on full cycles lifetimes... Full cycles recharge are done a few times only, since constantly recharging it before losing a lot of battery will make you have less cycles overall thus increasing battery life and charge hold.

I think your problem is push! are you on 4.0 or higher, if in 4.0 you need to download the EAS timeout profile to increase the time in push mail... In 4.0.1 and more the fix is already implemented on it. Push notifications for apps and apps that use location services tend to consume battery, here is apple's take on battery on the iPhone:
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

EDIT: wanted to add that I have both gmail and hotmail set up as exchange and noticed a heavier drain once hotmail was pushing... I recommend you fetch hotmail for now (you can change it inside the settings for the hotmail account w/out losing the exchange service). It seems the overload of new users pushing in hotmail is making the server check more or something causing lower battery life... After I set hotmail in Exchange from push to fetch (15 mins) my battery drainage become normal again. I will wait a few more weeks until I turn push on hotmail again...

14. Lambros thread starter macrumors regular

oops just realised on apple website it says once a month.

thanks a lot everyone, especially for the in-depth comments!!