Would you do it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Moshe1010, Oct 15, 2012.

  1. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2010
    #1
    Hi all,

    Currently, I have MBA i7/8/256 that I've purchased 4 months ago for $1800 (Including AppleCare and some other accessories). Would you sell it and get the new rMBP 13" when it comes out?

    To be honest, I hate TN panels and sometimes it drives me crazy (that you watch your screen from a lower/higher angle). In addition, I got LG panel, which is significantly worse than Samsung (can notice it mostly with texts, whatever I do most of the time on my laptop).

    What are your thoughts? My plan is to add MAX $400 to get the 13" rMBP [after selling my MBA], which I think is reasonable.
     
  2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
  3. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

    NewishMacGuy

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2007
    #3
    You're going to take a hickey on the MBA, maybe a serious one, but I would prolly do it while you still can. I really can't see much downside other than what's likely to be a few ounces more weight. If you decide to go for it I would sell immediately, as there's not likely to be a huge bid for your high-spec MBA config once the rMBP13 comes out with virtually the same specs and a retina screen at a similar price point.
     
  4. RealEyes macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2012
    #4
    True.

    I would do it too. The retina screen is good.
     
  5. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2012
    #5
    I would wait for haswell, but you would take a bigger hit.
     
  6. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2011
    #6
    well, the thirteen inch retinas are going to have a set of problems of its own, i predict. it's going to be like the fifteen inch retinas, or you can call it "round two".:D
    i'd say just go ahead and buy it anyway if you like to try it out, if you're lucky to get a good one. and hopefully dead pixels and image retension "do" show up before the 14 days is up, you can just bring it back to the apple store and get your money back. because i assure you taking multiple trips back to the apple store for exchange will be frustrating, with each time you just pray for the next one to be the perfect one.

    just hang on to your macbook air, it's a well proven reliable system through several revisions already. these new retinas are not going to shake the resale value of your mackbook air much or any at all for another two to three itterations.
     
  7. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

    NewishMacGuy

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2007
    #7
    This strategy is playing with fire. Unlike with the cMBP-15, there will be NO upside to the high spec MBA-13, save what's likely to be a small amount of weight savings (maybe .5lb). In the cMBP-15 to rMBP-15 comparison, extra ports and upgrade flexibility support some market for cMBP resale value. There are not likely to be significant enough differences between your high spec MBA-13 and the rMBP-13 to support a resale market. You're going to take a significant hit in value, and the longer you wait the bigger that hit is likely to be. If you had a base model, it would be a different story as it's in a different price point, but as it stands, you're right in the kill box. Get out while you still can.
     
  8. Moshe1010 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2010
    #8
    The problem is if I sell it now, nobody guarantees me that there would be a 13" rMBP this year....
     
  9. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

    Barna Biro

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2011
    Location:
    Luzern, Switzerland
    #9
    I've kept on delaying the MBA purchase for months... I have a 15" MBP, so wasn't really in a rush, but almost pulled the trigger on a maxed MBA a few times. Anyway, I didn't get one... was holding out for the 13" rMBP ( mainly because I just hate the silver bezel of the MBA and although the screen is decent, it could be nicer ). If I had bought a MBA as you did, I would have just gotten the 13" rMBP either way... of course, if the wallet doesn't allow you to do the same, then YES, sell the MBA and get the 13" rMBP.

    BUT only sell it after approx. 1 month... wait for people to get their hands on the first shippings and see what they have to complain about. Based on complains / problems / videos, you should be able to decide if you want to sell the MBA or not.
     

Share This Page