Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkarabel

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Would you trade Canon vixia hf100 for a Canon gl2?

I`ll be getting into wedding video business so i don`t know if i should do this.

Thanks,

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
Nope.

I know the GL2 was a well praised camera, but it is 7 years old compared to the HF100 which is only a year & half old. Not to mention, the GL2 is standard definition while the HF100 is 1920x1080 HD. I also prefer the idea of no tape transport system.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I agree with xStep here. All the wedding videographers are advertising HD nowadays. You'd be at a distinct disadvantage if you only shot SD. More and more folks have HDTVs now and want/need/expect HD wedding videos.

As for the camera ... I don't think a HF100 will cut the mustard either. Sure, it's HD, but it's a consumer camcorder. I don't know all of the specs, but does it have a mic-in port? How about a hot-shoe. I'm also not sure about using SD cards. I'm sure there are other features that you'll need to make pro-quality wedding vids.

If this is for a business, then you might want to look into a pro-line HDV camcorder. I'm no pro, but I do know that in the wedding industry, image counts for a lot. The bride will likely interview with several videographers. She'll see guys with the huge pro cams and compare that to the tiny HF100 and think "gee, size matters, right?". ;) And since it's a business, you can write it off as a business expense. Equipment gets depreciated over 7 years, right?

anthemus

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2009
Denver
Most Weddings end up on Standard DVD so shooting SD is not that bad. The Canon GL2 is a 3CCD camera with Balanced XLR audio, bigger and more professional.

The 3CCD's will give you better color, better performance in low-light. Also your image is a big thing in the Wedding field. The Canon GL2 is much larger, therefore you'll appear more professional. I know sounds a little crazy but its true. The Canon HF100 will look like what little Jimmy has and they'll question if your truly professional.

Plus with the XLR audio you can take a feed from the Church sound system and have it on one channel and put a wireless from your groom on another channel. To do that with the Canon HF100 you'll need to get a Beachtek.

Plus the person willing to trade you knows that the Canon GL2 i more professional.

I wouldn't worry about HD unless your clients start to ask for it. For just starting out I would use the Canon GL2. MOre manual controls and still has a great image.

HD is the future. If your clients ask for it let them know that HD is better but also comes with more of a price tag.

I have friends that do a wedding video business. Only about 1 in 10 ask for HD. And from that one he has only authored 1 in the last two years to Blu-ray HD.

jchandler3

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2008
GL2 all the wayyyy

I've been in video production for years and I trust the GL2. As was previously mentioned, 3CCD makes a HUGE difference in low-light, which is probably the biggest hurdle when filming weddings.

The GL2 doesn't come with balanced XLR ports, but there is an adapter that allows for that.

I just finished a wedding with a Canon HD camcorder and I'm very disappointed with the results... to the point that it's embarrassing.

Also, I've found the AVCHD format a pain to work with. Though capturing video real-time is annoying, it's still more flexible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.