Would you get a MBP if it's thicker, but more powerful?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DivineEvil, Nov 4, 2009.

?

Would you buy a thicker MBP if it's more powerful

1. Yes. I want more power than portability.

26 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. No. I prefer portability over power.

64 vote(s)
    71.1%
  1. DivineEvil macrumors regular

I have a 13" MBP, and I love it.

I ordered a 2nd HDD caddy. This made me think.

What if the MBPs were let's say 1cm more thicker, but had more raw power in them. There will be more room for better cooling system hence, better CPU & GPU (dedicated perhaps), 2 or even 3 HDD bays, bigger built-in battery, more I/O ports (eSata, ExpressCard, TV tuners)... etc.

I personally would buy one, even if it weights 1-2 kg more.

So what do you think?

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Nope, I have a thick and heavy Acer work laptop and I do not want that.

3. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

No, that'd be going backwards. The 13" MBP is perfect portability right now as it is. If it was 2kg heavier, carrying around on a 9 to 5 day would certainly not be a nice experience.

4. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I'd have to say no too. One of the main reason people go to Macs is aesthetics. The iMac on the other hand.. i'd definitely trade a CM or two for quad-core all 'round.

5. Tralmek macrumors member

Nope, I bought the MBP for its portability (and of course the OS). I could have gotten an Alienware for the same price with slightly better specs, but it was too bulky for my needs.

6. splitpea macrumors 6502a

To a point. I'm planning to buy a 15" MBP in the spring. Would love the extra screen resolution on the 17", but it would probably never leave my desk. I could skip the drive bays and most of the extra ports, but more USB ports wouldn't hurt, and faster processors / better graphics cards would be sweet.

7. bsamcash macrumors regular

I guess it depends on how thick. I could live with a thickness up to the size of the aluminum Powerbook G4 to gain a few more ports or better GPU. But overall, no, I like the less-than-a-inch form factor.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

9. DivineEvil thread starter macrumors regular

The thickness I ment is 1 cm more... That is about the height if a 2.5" HDD.

Edit: 1cm=0.39"

10. Yixian macrumors 65816

At the expense of just 3mm of thickness, the 15" MBP could pack a far FAR more powerful GPU.

11. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

The only thing I would change within reason is round off the sharp edges of the palm rest a bit...otherwise I am loving it. The 15" 2.53 is great for my needs and honestly probably more than I need but I bought it hoping it would be useful for a long time. I can totally see how others would need more however.

If I had to transport it a lot I'd have gone with an Air as I hate carrying heavy stuff.

12. bsamcash macrumors regular

Oh, sorry. I didn't see that. I'm in class so I'm just overviewing. Haha.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind the option, though I don't personally need it.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Can I see your schematics and renderings of such a feat?

14. JAT macrumors 603

Thickness wouldn't matter (within reason), esp if it gave even more battery time, but weight definitely matters. I don't see how you could make something bigger without weighing more.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, the current crop of MacBook Pros are plenty powerful for my needs. adding weight/size for a faster computer would be a waste as I'd not really be taking advantage of the speed but I'll be saddled with the weight.

16. Heavenly macrumors member

Heavenly

I was debating between an M17x and a Macbook Pro for a new laptop(needed one good enough to play games and record them) but when I saw that the M17x was 11lbs and 2" thick...no thanks.

17. Yixian macrumors 65816

Just look at most notebooks of comparable prices from other brands.

This poll is definitely suffering from the inexplicable move by Apple to call the 13" alu MacBooks "MacBook Pros" - make no mistake, the 13"ers are simply MacBooks with nicer cases and are not "Pro" anything, so I'd agree that they shouldn't need to be any thicker.

But the 15" and 17" MBPs castrate themselves with their ridiculous thinness, there's absolutely no need for a Pro computer to be 1" thick when for a few more mm you can seriously increase performance.

18. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I'm fine with a few millimeters (no more than 3-4mm), but a cm is just ridiculous.

19. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Definitely agree there, I also would prefer a thicker notebook with higher performance, but if you ask me, I would remove the optical drive and replace it with better components.

20. bsamcash macrumors regular

What's your idea of "pro?" Does it have to fit any and all needs to be pro? It definitely has a pro LCD panel, and not many machines have FireWire 800 (no doubt a pro feature). Optical audio sure sounds "pro" to me.

So, what isn't "pro?" That lack of discrete graphics? Most pros who need those use desktops anyway.

21. Yixian macrumors 65816

If Toshiba of all people can squeeze a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250M with 1GB GDDR5 and an Intel Core i7-720QM (with a Blu-Ray player btw, not that I'd care for one) into a 1.6" thick case...

I think Apple can deliver a lot more than the 4670 et al in a 1.3 or 1.4" MBP.

And before anyone mentions power consumption, the GTS 250M requires only 4 - 5W more than the 9600M GT, and is oh... 3x more powerful?

It's all about heat, somewhere between 1" and 1.3/1.4" you suddenly exclude all high end portable GPUs.

It really is a toss up purely between those 3 or 4 mm and 3x faster graphics.

22. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Who needs the power in a portable computer?
    1GB VRAM in a notebook? I don't even have that much in my MacPro!

I understand that lot's of people use their laptops as a desktop computer (I myself did it for about a year), but the majority uses their laptop as a portable, which they are intended to be! I don't want to play Crysis in the train, but what I definitely need is a lightweight computer with a long lasting battery.

But that's just my two cents.

BTW:
    What makes the 15/17" more a Pro than the 13"? The additional audio in?
    People should stop calling themselves Pro just because their computer has such a label on it.
    What you do with your computer is what makes you a Pro or not, not the name of your computer.

23. Yixian macrumors 65816

Transporteur, you're right, 1gb vram isn't necessary and I'm not asking for that, I'm asking for 512 rather than 256, I'm asking for current gen graphics capabilities, not last gens.

We pay more than enough for this and yet at the expense of a few mm we lack it.

If this is the way it's going to be, neither the 15" or 17" should be called "Pro", their priority clearly isn't performance.

24. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I'm not familiar with the current generation notebooks of Apple, but I got a 4.1 in, I guess it was 2008, the last one before the unibody's, and even that had 512MB VRAM.

Did they reduce it to 256?

25. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Pro laptop =/= Gaming laptop.