Would you get fired from Apple store for jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Blue Ivy, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Blue Ivy macrumors member

Are Apple Store employees allowed to have their phones jailbroken? I've visited the store several times and witnessed numerous employees using iPhones and iPod Touches that are clearly jailbroken. Does Apple do anything about this?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So there's your answer.
    They will not fire them for having JB their own devices.

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

nope as long they don't show it to customers.

4. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why would they? Jailbreaking isn't a crime.

Would someone fire me if I had a dual booted laptop?

5. DroidRules, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2012

DroidRules macrumors 65816

I don't see how they could be fired for having a jb device but I guess there is always a way.

I also question the validity of employees using their personal devices while in the store. I would think they would only be authorized to use issued devices with approved software to conduct company business but I'm really just talking out my 4th point of contact on that one.

6. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

i mean if you jb your own s*** they cant fire you over that...
    if your showing off to customers "OMG LOOK AT MY THEMES AND MY SBSETTINGS" then theyll probably get pissed

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

What they do with their own devices is up to them...Apple have no control over that. Showing them to customers would ( I imagine) be an offence.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

9. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Depends on what kind of behavior/social image clauses/contracts they have for employees. But from what I have heard, Apple does not care (enough to make an issue of it anyway).

Just because something is legal doesn't mean you cannot be fired for it.

10. Pathfinder3 macrumors member

Airborne!

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

What are you going to do? Report them?

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

At the Apple Store where I worked, that was the only rule -- don't show it to customers.

13. camardelle macrumors 6502

I doubt they would care what a person does with their personal property.

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Officially....but many do..;)

15. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Why are you even worried about it ? Wouldn't they replace something and now your going to try to "get even"?? Who cares

16. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Well it is up to them. I know a guy who works at the apple store and he showed me his jailbroken iphone. They are not gonna care since it is your phone, your device, you paid for it, so therefore you are entitled to do whatever you want to do with it.

As reading other posts here, it's funny how they can't show it to customers. Although the guy I know didn't show it to me, he mentioned about his jailbroken iphone, this is because I had lots of questions about the iphone 4S.

17. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

yeap same here. As long you don't show off all your tweaks and themes to customers you are good to go.

18. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the issue. Although since I don't work at an Apple store, I can't say for sure.

19. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I understand that but my point is why would they have a personal cell phone out during business hours? I bet Apple has a very stringent policy in place regarding that. I know a lot of them either have the iPhone/iPod dealy or iPads. Any current/previous Apple employees here? IF they have such a policy Apple certainly does have control over their personal devices.

20. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

I love threads like these because they're full of guesses. No one here actually knows first hand. You can only provide your opinion. Normally this would be fine but nearly all of you post your information as fact.

21. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Why was my post removed from this thread? It stated that your previous(first) title was misleading in the context that you structured it. I then followed it up with a short summary of why you would not get 'fired' for having a jailbroken iDevice as a retail employee.

22. DroidRules macrumors 65816

I am speculating as stated but 2 others said they are/where employees and they could use it but not show it. I guess there isn't a personal phone use policy in place during work hours.

Admins do funny things here. I got a warning for insulting a guy because I told him to pull his lip over his head and swallow..... I'm not sure where the insult is but I got the warning all the same. I didn't see your original post but it sounds interesting.

23. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

Any Apple employee worth a salt has their devices JBen, (y wouldn't they?)

24. Wsnook macrumors newbie

are you crazy.. they are not APPLE slave.. just an employee... also the phone is their personal property .. they have the right to do whatever they want to do and it is not against any law!!

if they got fired from apple because of this, Apple is against the LAWS!!!