Would you give up optical media (DVDs, CDs)?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darnocs, Oct 18, 2011.

?

Would you give up optical media?

1. Yes, I don't really use optical media

57.1%
  2. No, I rely upon optical media too much to get rid of it

42.9%
  3. I'd give it up, but only if the computer that lacked it was significantly better

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. darnocs macrumors regular

Apple has increasingly been moving away from the use of optical media in its computers. The MacBook Air and Mac mini don't have CD/DVD drives. Would you be willing to give up optical media? This poll is just a gauge as to how ready people would be for this.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

For me, it's enough to have one optical drive, be it an external or one inside a computer. I'm not ready to give up optical media, but I'm ready and have given it up on laptops.

3. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

The only reason i won't give up optical media is that it is still cheaper to buy judiciously, than the iTunes store. I am however quite comfortable with the idea of replacing the optical drive on a MBP with a HD/SSD.

I'd quite happily give up traditional media if $10 lossless album downloads were available.

4. stev3n macrumors 6502

Call me old fashioned but I still get physical CD's so I'm not ready to give up optical media.

5. nohoch macrumors member

This sums me up pretty much.... I still want optical media but I use my Air for the portability of the machine...Luckily the movement has been included for Digital & Optical media combined (blurry combos) so that I can have my Blu Ray/Dvd at home and have it digitally for all my products without optical media available..

I for one will not part with optical media, but love this movement, makes purchases worth more to me (being able to use in more than one place)

6. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I won't part with it willingly. I still use it to rip music CD's (yes, I still buy them) and to burn (data) discs.

7. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Nope. I copy/burn CDs way too much to be thinking about moving away from optical media. If most cars come equip with AUX then that would shift a lot of people.

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

And not all music CDs are available on iTunes anyway.

9. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Although most of the time I use my iPod in the car, I don't during extremely hot or extremely cold weather, and it is at those times when I go back to using CDs. Sometimes, too, I like to burn a playlist of a particular artist or grouping of songs that I've got in iTunes, and again use that CD in the car. I could more easily give up optical drives in a notebook device such as the MBA or MBP but would really prefer to keep a Superdrive available in a desktop. Since now they've removed that option from the current Mac Mini it seems that Apple is thinking a bit differently than I am on this issue. Ah, well.... I really hope that they leave a superdrive in the Mac Pro and in the iMac for at least a while longer.

10. eric/ Guest

eric/

Don't use it at all. Haven't really used it for a few years.