Would you guess that the 2012 MBA's SSD is user upgradeable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mobilebuddha, Jun 12, 2012.

1. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

I've been told the 2011 MBAs are.. just wondering what your thoughts are on the '12s.

2. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

It's not "Apple User Upgradable," meaning you can't upgrade it without voiding your warranty. But it's definitely an easy upgrade to do yourself.

Hint: if you every need to take it back to Apple just pop in the old SSD. They'll never know you voided the warranty. ;)

3. PeterJP macrumors regular

I see no reason why Apple would've changed more than the bare minimum required for the IB upgrade (processor, USB3, more memory). The SSD connector should've stayed exactly the same. So you should be able to plug in your OWC SSD and play as usual.

Peter.

4. mobilebuddha thread starter macrumors regular

On that note.. is OWC SSD the only one that we have to work with? Or are there other vendors?

5. jameswdmb macrumors member

I actually read that the connector is different, and no one has a replacement yet, though OWC is working on one and expects to have a kit in the not too distant future. This was all covered in ifixit's teardown of the new Air earlier today

6. monochromicorn macrumors newbie

monochromicorn

It is indeed a different connector.

7. rygamble macrumors regular

I also heard that it was using the same cooling system as the new Retina Pro.

8. PeterJP macrumors regular

I just read the same article. Good thing the new SSDs are 6G and should give plenty performance, then. I can get a 256GB now and not worry about wanting to upgrade.

Peter.

9. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Sata II -> Sata III = Reason.