Would you guess that the 2012 MBA's SSD is user upgradeable?

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
I've been told the 2011 MBAs are.. just wondering what your thoughts are on the '12s.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
It's not "Apple User Upgradable," meaning you can't upgrade it without voiding your warranty. But it's definitely an easy upgrade to do yourself.

Hint: if you every need to take it back to Apple just pop in the old SSD. They'll never know you voided the warranty. ;)

PeterJP

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
I've been told the 2011 MBAs are.. just wondering what your thoughts are on the '12s.
I see no reason why Apple would've changed more than the bare minimum required for the IB upgrade (processor, USB3, more memory). The SSD connector should've stayed exactly the same. So you should be able to plug in your OWC SSD and play as usual.

Peter.

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
On that note.. is OWC SSD the only one that we have to work with? Or are there other vendors?

I see no reason why Apple would've changed more than the bare minimum required for the IB upgrade (processor, USB3, more memory). The SSD connector should've stayed exactly the same. So you should be able to plug in your OWC SSD and play as usual.

Peter.

jameswdmb

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2012

Peter.
I actually read that the connector is different, and no one has a replacement yet, though OWC is working on one and expects to have a kit in the not too distant future. This was all covered in ifixit's teardown of the new Air earlier today

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL

Peter.
Sata II -> Sata III = Reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.