Would you Jailbreak a work ipad?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by sigmma, Feb 22, 2011.

1. sigmma macrumors newbie

Hi Guys just a quick question, I have been given a shinny glass box called Ipad...I want to jailbreak it for obvious reasons but I am not sure if by doing so I would lose the work network connections, ie wifi connections etc.

Will jailbreaking it cause it to stop responding to my internal work wifi configurations???? its a Wifi Ipad, (not the 3GS version )

thanks

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

:confused:WTF? The OP has a wifi iPad. In case you didn't know, it doesn't have a SIM slot.

JB normally doesn't mess with wifi. You have to watch out for conflicting programs that might mess up settings. As long as you're not installing pirated programs or every cydia program in existence, you should be fine.
    If the jb doesn't work out, you can always restore to a virgin iOS.

3. sigmma thread starter macrumors newbie

ok yeah, it doesn't have a sim card. I guess I'll take the plunge....thanks guys

4. sigmma thread starter macrumors newbie

actually before taking the plunge, I forgot to ask, if I jaibreak it, will I lose my work exchange server configuration??? ie as soon as I get to work the ipad downloads my emails via wifi (hence my first question)....I know I am repeating myself here...I just want to double check...

5. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

take screenshots of your configurations, and sync with iphoto to keep the info. thats an easy way. as far as any server-side configurations go, everything remains the same after a jailbreak.

just back everything up.

6. AdrianK macrumors 68020

You might have to restore during the process, which means all data is wiped, iTunes does backup your configuration settings but it's hardly reliable. Taking screen shots of your configuration settings and keeping them somewhere safe is probably the bast backup measure you can take. Although, you can't see password after you've entered them, so unless you know what your password is you might need to ask your IT techs at work for that.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

There's also the question of your employer's IT policies and whether doing so would be a flagrant violation of those policies.

I'd recommend sorting that question out before doing anything. Get the response in writing just in case.

8. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

I would go ask IT if it's ok. Jailbreaking will open up SSH on your iPad, I'm sure they don't want that.

9. OSMac macrumors 65816

Would being fired impact your life?

10. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

When I jailbroke my iPad a couple of weeks back, Cydia did not install SSH by default. I had to install Open SSH in order to change the root password.

11. Jakeblu macrumors regular

Same here. Don't know if it has always been so, this is my first jailbreak but SSH is optional with this version.

12. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

If you're work uses custom profiles to configure network access or access to other company resources then you're gonna have fun if you decide to unjailbreak later.

Best advice is to not do it, it's not yours to do as you wish, respect that.

13. sigmma thread starter macrumors newbie

oh well I took the plunge....and it works fine,....when I did it, greenpoison asked me if I wanted to keep a number (very long number) on a history database so I could revert back to the original settings in case I needed too... Oh well worst thing will be to revert back without the work settings....big comporations dont give a toss about that anyway...

14. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You're right. Sorry. I just do it out of habit whenever I jailbreak and forget that it's an additional step.

15. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

Actually, I'm glad installing SSH is an extra step. If SSH is enabled, its imperative to change the default admin password. I hate to see iPad with SSH and default password become as commonplace as the ubiquitous unsecured Linksys wifi router.

16. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

No.

Just do a normal backup like iTunes always does.

Jailbreaking never messes with that.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You better get HR approval.