Would you keep a display if this were the only problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PDE, Dec 12, 2008.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

I recently got a lenovo 22" L220x and am amazed by the clarity, brightness, color gamut, viewing angles and general uniformity of the display. During everyday use it is flawless. However, the one thing that annoys me is when I'm watching DVDs that are wide format -- in the dark strip on top, there is light bleed in the corners. It's noticable mainly when the room is totally dark, not so much when there is some light around the screen. I've had cinema displays that had slight bleed around the edges and been fine with it, but it seems more annoying when it shoots down from the corners like this...

I know it's a relatively small issue, but please tell me what YOU would do. It's not a cheap display so my standards are a little higher than they would be if it were. I think part of the problem was that all the reviews said it had an almost perfet uniformit and so I expected even better.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. LeoFio macrumors regular

Personally I would not be able to live with that. Email what you have written here along with the pictures to Lenovo and see what they say.:rolleyes:

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Hah :) I lived with backlight bleeding on my 23" ACD for a year before it drove me nuts and, since I have extended AppleCare, took it in to get it fixed. It was worth it.

4. descartes macrumors 6502

If it were bought new, I would take it back. If you got a great deal and cant return it, the bleed doesnt seem too bad and something I could live with.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I would get it looked at.

Hopefully the 'getting it looked at' bit is better than Apple. The number of ACD's I've had with similar problems and have turned in for repair, which then came back with different problems, which I'd then got swapped again, which then came back with different problems, which I'd then got swapped which came with patchy backlighting...oy.

If repair doesn't involve calling the warranty service, being told the monitor isn't warrantied, telling them why it is, then being told breezily to drop it off at the nearest Apple Store, telling them to come and pick the POS's up, being refused, asking several times more in succession more insistently until they finally agree to do so...

... then I'd definitely get it looked at. If not, I'd choose between losing the will to live or sticking with getting it looked at.

6. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

That settles it. You've convinced me to try to get it replaced by lenovo or return it. After all, it's a week old. My only real hesitation comes from dealing with the exchange practically and all the hassle it can be. I think these particular monitors are generally quite consistent in quality, at least compared to Apple products, but once you start doing exchanges you never know what you get.

I'll call Lenovo on Monday and see what they say.

Thanks for the input, it helped.

Cheers!

7. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Yup, thos corners would bother me a lot, so get the screen replaced under warrenty if you are able to.

8. LeoFio macrumors regular

Good idea, otherwise you will always be looking at those corners and wondering "what if...."

9. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

So I finally got a replacement (lenovo customer support makes me really appreciate Apple's CS, even if I complain about that at times) and I initially thought it didn't have any corner bleed. Unfortunately, once the display warmed up it has exactly the same issue.

Nothing really to do about it at this point unless I sell it, lose money and try to find a display wthout bleed. they seem very very uncommon though so I'm going to keep this one and live with it. Besides that issue, it's a beautiful monitor and is perfectly evenly illuminated.

Thanks for the input!

10. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

I just had to update....

I sent two emails to Lenovo Support in early December, but never heard back from them. Today, over a month later and the day after I got the replacement monitor, I received two copies of this - sad state of support:

Dear Customer

Thank you for contacting Lenovo.
    Please phone the Technical HelpCentre of your country.
    Please check the following website for the support phone numbers in your area::
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=YAST-3P2QYL&sitestyle=lenovo
    You also have free access to all of the BIOS and driver updates for any computer type, as well as numerous hints and tips, frequently asked questions and technical publications by visiting the link at the bottom of this note and entering the machine type/model number (e.g., 2611-450 or 9546-U4A, etc.) into the Quick Path box.We hope you find the support information on the web site to be a helpful resource.
    http://www.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/homeLenovo.do?country=us

Lenovo Worldwide Electronic Support and Services

IBM Personal Computing Division
    http://www.ibm.com/pc/support

11. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

Ok, I love this display during the day and I hate it at night! Those corners are ugly and are becoming increasingly distracting as I obsess over them. I'm wondering if it might be a result of pressure and/or heat rather than bleed. There are no visible spots until after the display backlight is fully warmed up - and the bright spots are exactly where the display is hottest to the touch. Also, when I put my hand on the spots, it makes it much worse and white traces appear where my fingers/hands have been. They gradually fade though.

Is this something I could possibly fix by loosening some screws inside the box, or do you think it's a hardware defect?

Any advice very appreciated....this always happens when I get anything else than an Apple display. Damn.

12. integrat.ethis macrumors regular

No, don't worry, the Apple displays have backlight bleeding too... I'm about to get my third. Honestly, from what I've seen, I wouldn't worry about what you have right now. I know it seems bad right now, but if the rest of the monitor is nice and uniform, I think you're ahead of the game compared to most. I turned in a monitor with backlight bleed like yours and got a replacement with an ugly green tint! Talk about a disaster.

13. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

I've actually been trying to accept it, but I feel the problem gets worse the longer the display has been on. When I first start it, there are no white corners, but then at the end of the day it's quite bad -- worse that what is shown in the pictures above. The new display is actually worse than the old one, but I've already sent back the other one.

I used to have a cinema display and it had no bleed, although there was a slight redish cast on black screens in the dark. I also had a good PVA samsung that had no bleed but ver very slight corner brightness that was not visible when watching movies on it, just when the screen was completely black. On this one, the whole screen is perfect with amazing contrast, color uniformity and brightness uniformity....but those corners! Damn corners.

Could it be that there is too much pressure from behind where the backlights are and that the heat of the backlight together with pressure is causing the problem? As I mentioned, if I put my hand/fingers in those spots when the display is hot, the white spots become MUCH worse and there are white traces of my fingers. If I rub gentle from the corner down toward the middle, it's alsmost as if I I can 'pull' the white part down. Like drawing almost. My gut feeling is that this is heat and pressure related, but I'm ignorant on the technology so would really appreciate somebody else's input. I'd love to be able to solve this by relieving some pressure inside the monitor....but maybe that's totally naive.

14. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

So, i've got yet another replacement and now have to conclude that the bright corners are not a defect of the LCD, but rather a design defect in how the LCD is mounted near the bulbs -- it's definitely the heat that is causing the issue. They all have it. The recent replacement had it to a lesser degree, but nonetheless still had it. It also had a dead pixel smack in the middle at eye level.

So now my options are:

1. return the most recent replacement to lenovo one and sell my old one which was a new unit (can't sell an monitor with dead pixels for much) and then buy another monitor.

2. Keep the refurbished one with the better corners but dead pixel and live with it.

3. Keep the previous one with bad corners but otherwise perfect and just live with it.

If Lenovo hadn't offered such crappy, nasty service I might have been more inclined to stick with them, but I'm kind of fed up and would prefer to take my business elsewhere. Unfortunately, it's hard to get good quality 22 and 24 displays at reasonable prices and this is display is pretty good except for the backlight bleed. I don't feel like starting a new lottery with another manufacturer...

Any suggestions for a high quality 22 or 24 monitor under $500 or 400 pounds? No TN displays...just IPS or MVA/PVA