Would you keep this Retina 15?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeVera, Nov 9, 2014.

1. MikeVera macrumors member

Hey guys,

Went to Best Buy the other day, and noticed they had a 15 inch Retina MacbookPro, (mid 2014 latest model base) for $1590, open box.

It has two little inconspicuous scratches on the lid, and was discounted to $1590.... Anyways, I ended up talking the manager down to $1499.

I get home, and was using it, and everything works perfectly, screen is perfect, performs great. At night I was just wiping it down a bit, since I hadn't done so since I bought it..

I noticed a small dent on the bottom shell, and what looks like a abnormality around the top screws.. Now it looks more like a manufacturing defect, then evidence of tampering, as I would image if someone was trying to get into the macbook forcibly with the wrong tools, there would like be more of a scratch, scrape, or gash, then a uniform bump in the metal.

My question is what do you guys think? Im a little unsure as to whether the $500 discount is offset by the dent and abnormality around the screws...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rapicell macrumors regular

It's aluminum, it looks nice but is very soft in nature. If it bothers you that much, specially when you knew it was open box, then return it.

3. DJJAZZYJET macrumors 6502

Considering the discount you managed to get it at, and the fact it works perfectly, I'd say you should keep it. Put a snap on case on it to prevent further damage and cover up the little scratches and bumps, and I think you'll be very happy.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Spare us the angst and use it on something a BIT more important.

:rolleyes:

Keep it.

5. MikeVera thread starter macrumors member

Haha thanks everyone for the replies

I should have been a little more clear. Aesthetically it does not bother me at all, but I was more concerned with the possibility of it overheating 9 months later, and AppleCare sending me walking because of a dent..

6. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Sounds like a great deal. 16GB, 256GB, latest Haswell model?

If you're worried you can even ask for a new bottom cover. Argue that it creaks a lot because of that dent or simply because you're not happy with the aesthetics.

I think you don't need to accept a manufacturing aesthetic defect just because you bought it open box. If I was responsible for an AASP, I'd exchange it without questions. It's better than a return or negative social networking buzz.

7. MikeVera thread starter macrumors member

Yup it's the latest model, 2.2GHz, 16GB, 256GB.....

I'm not sure what the implications of Best Buy trying source another bottom plate is, since I know the serial number is on the bottom plate. Would pry need to be reprinted for this specific model...

It's def a great price for the model, just was concerned about warranty.

8. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

Bestbuy has a very laid back return policy, so people buy macbooks all the time to use and then return them right when the 15 day period ends. So this guy probably used it, dented it, and then decided to return it.

9. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

That's not a manufacturing defect. That wouldn't have passed QC like that.

10. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

Between the scratches on the lid and the screw issues it looks like the previous owner was digging around inside. I would verify that the SSD is the correct size and that everything works.

Another alternative is to pick up a new one. The base 15" is on sale for $1799. I combined that with the 10% movers coupon which brought the price down to $1600 and change.

11. MikeVera, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014

MikeVera thread starter macrumors member

Good point, I will likely do this. Just seems fishy.

I don't mind a light scratch, but dents, and what looks like possibly manipulated screws looks like something potentially odd

12. calvol macrumors 6502a

I would keep it, and sometime in the future, take the back shell off and hammer out that dent!

13. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Keep it. Some screw holes are slightly off like that. If it works well and everything is good other than the dent, then keep it and realize you got a great deal!

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd keep it, you got a good deal. Through a speck case on it, and you'll never see the dent/scratches.

15. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

I'm with you. Sketchy activity is sketchy. I don't like it one bit.

16. Ccrew macrumors 68020

He got a $500 discount to buy it as-is. That's not sketchy or worthy of asking them to fix a blemish. Buy a new bottom cover and still save $

17. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

You may have until January 15th to return it with Best Buy's current holiday return policy. I personally would keep it. Let the dent serve as a reminder of the great deal you got on the computer.

18. eyespii macrumors 6502

return it

If I was you, I'd return it. That dent isn't a manufacturing defect - someone wasn't careful and banged it into something or dropped it. The tampered screw also gives me worry.

Grab a new rMBP from best buy right now. They're on sale right now for $1799. Use a mover's coupon from the post office to knock 10% off, then, if you have access to one, grab the $50 off macbook .edu coupon. $1575 + tax.

19. MikeVera thread starter macrumors member

This is LITERALLY exactly what I did LOLOL

20. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

They check...

If you scratch or dent it during the return period, they will give you a call and you have to pay full for it. The return policy fine print is everything has to remain as it was out of the box, all it's contents + no physical damages during the probational period otherwise you pay for the damage + restocking fee.

My friend bought a MBP, rode home on his bike and a car clipped his rear wheal, he tumbles and the car runs over the MBP in it's box. You can't return it, you pay for it and then have Apple repair it under warranty for parts etc.

----------

I have seen a lot of open box deals, nothing like this ever, my cousins work at best buy locations all around Canada, dents and scatches don't get open box deals. This was a "fell off the truck" deal...

21. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Interesting. What is your take on this?

[​IMG]

----------

Hmm lol. Sounds like a good idea. I'm gonna try that.

22. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

Lol, well obviously they wont accept it if its been run over by a car :rolleyes: