Would you like a Macbook without a built-in iSight?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Luigi239, May 23, 2007.

1. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Ever since Apple introduced the Macbook line, a webcam has become standard in all of their laptops. However, this comes at an added cost to the consumer. Would your rather keep the iSight standard, or make it an option on the Macbooks?

Myself, I would rather make it an option, because I rarely use my MB's iSight. I would rather be able to buy more ram or HD space, then have a camera in my computer.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I wouldn't choose it without a camera, if there was an option...for the few time's I've videochatted, and used PhotoBooth...it really doesn't cost much for them to put in (like the Front Row remote)...

3. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

I agree, and when I get my macbook I'm sure i'll use it pretty frequently.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I do prefer having the camera, but I think they should make it optional in case some people can't have a camera in their laptops for business reasons.

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

It's cheaper for Apple to just include it rather than making it an option. If it's an option, then they have to have two of all of the display casing parts, one with isight mounts, etc. and one without them.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its 'one more thing' to get switchers to switch (along with the plethora* of software goodies like Exposé)

*I love that word

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

*Raises hand*

We just recently were allowed to have cameras in our cell phones, since they're hard to find without these days. No way will video in a laptop go over here.

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'll try and find it, but I saw a clip-on cover for it on Engadget a while back :)

EDIT: Found it

9. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Yeah, I'm not sure if that's kosher either. I could just promise not to turn it on, too, but I don't think that would fly. Oh well, I guess if I ever get a work-Mac it'll have to be a MP. :D

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

They give an option of gluing it on, with something you can later remove...

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

or a mini. :p

and no, i love the iSight built in. especially on the portables.

12. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

*sigh* Sometime you have to wish that they brought back the good old external iSight.

Still, it is very handy to have it built in.

13. mpw Guest

I like the idea of the built in iSight, I think the problem for purchasers would be more not being allowed to use an iSight enabled notebook PC in their workplace over the additional cost of it's inclusion.

I do however which it had a tiny amount of movement within the notebook case. Just a few degrees so that you can videochat without having to move to uncomfortable positions to both see and be seen.

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes. i totally agree with you, the iMacs especially should have this, the MB/MBP would be a bit harder to implement though, since apple is all about shrinking the size.

15. RaMaz macrumors regular

RaMaz

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

On a 10" or 11" desktop companion it wouldn't be missed by me.

17. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I say leave it in (no option) because it is just too cool! Plus, people may not get the option because they want to save money, but might regret it later. Just keep it in all the time.

18. BioChron macrumors regular

BioChron

I would find a laptop without a built in camera inconvenient in the sense that you would have to carry around another random thing, and then you wouldn't always bring it with your probably and you wouldn't have it when you needed it.

So I suppose having the built in iSight is rather nice.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It affirms the "iLife" concept. The macbook is meant to be for fun stuff, and what's more fun than a built in camera? Seriously, if you go to an Apple store, you will see everyone and their mother playing with either the macbook or the macbook pro's iSight camera.
    I think it should be kept in, not only for the lower cost (someone mentioned earlier about having two different designs for the case), but also because it's one of those things you may not use all the time, but when you do use it, you'll be glad it's there.

Me too. Myriad is good too:)

20. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Elimination of the built-in iSight would be fine for my purposes ... very little, if any, usage would be realized.

21. warfa macrumors regular

the iSight is an awsome addition to the macs! if apple ever releases a more cooler and stable iChat AV then it'll become even more popular!!

22. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

yes... i'm don't really use it and i'm paranoid. :)

23. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Yes many government institutions which work on sensitive material do not allow any cameras or recording devices of any kind. Not even cell phone cameras are allowed. The government sector workers all let out a big 'awwwrrrggh' when the macbook design came out.

No more government contracts with apple for laptops. They lost a lot of contracts.

24. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Like it or not, the MacBook and yes, the MackBook Pro are consumer laptops, not business machines; Lenovo and IBM carry the sector with their Thinkpads. The inclusion of webcams in Apple notebooks is due to the dissemination of cheap cameras into all electronic markets; 1.3mp cameras are extremely affordable for Apple to integrate into their computers, and provide a nice selling point when coupled with software like iChat AV and Photobooth.

Similarly, if Apple did not have webcams in their notebooks, they would be at a disadvantage to Sony, Toshiba, HP, etc who all include (or have as cheap options) webcams in their notebooks.

25. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I'm indifferent towards it, but in a business perspective it wouldn't make sense for Apple to just have it as an "option"