Would you like a thicker ipod if it meant more inside?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Derkatwork, Aug 2, 2010.

?

Would you like to see a thicker Ipod touch?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2010.
  1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    9.0%
  3. Yes, but only if a camera come with it

36 vote(s)
    53.7%
  4. No, even if a camera would come with it

4 vote(s)
    6.0%
  1. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Would you like to see a thicker ipod if a camera or two could go in? Or up to 128 GB of space? It is fantasy thinking, but more space could mean more inside.

2. SoraLimit macrumors regular

It wouldn't matter to me about the thickness, unless Apple went overboard. I expect to see it between the current generation and the iPhone 4. Nothing more, nothing less.

And as for 128 GB, I don't think its an issue of how thick the iPod is but rather how much its gonna cost them if they had that much memory.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'd go thicker for a camera, GPS, longer battery life or more storage.

4. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Can you imagine the battery possibilities if the ipod went to the iphone size?

5. Chuchichan macrumors 6502

Just wondering how far GPS would get you if it only works over wifi...

6. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

A regular GPS component does not need wifi or 3G to function as it receives time code information directly from positioning satellites then calculates where you are on the globe based on how long it took to receive those time codes but it can take around 30-60 seconds to pinpoint your location

Using cell towers or AGPS just speeds up the process as rather than having to calculate your position on a global scale it only has to calculate your position in relation to the nearest cell towers.

7. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

False.

AGPS sends the GPS an already calculated ephemeris, so it doesn't have to download it from the satellites at a couple bits per second. That's what takes time with regular GPS. AGPS allows the phone to download the ephemeris y cellular connection, speeding the process.

Once the GPS is hot (I.E., has successfully downloaded the ephemeris and established a fix with satellites, finding its position), a subsequent fix takes only a few seconds, rendering AGPS useless.

The good news is, you can do the same thing over Wi-Fi. :) You just need a server that hosts it. SiRF, a GPS company, already sells this capability as InstaFix GPS chips.

8. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

I wouldn't want the iPod Touch to go any bigger than the iPhone. I wouldn't mind if it increased a little but the only if if meant more battery life and increased performance (processor and ram).

9. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

:confused:

You say tomata I say tomato.

10. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

You talk about calculating the position relative to cell towers.

I talk about calculating the position relative to satellites, using information processed, not created by cell towers.

Moreover, wikipedia says I'm right :)

EDIT: to clarify things a bit... the ephemeris is just a list of the position of satellites at different times. The GPS still has to calculate his position by himself.

11. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I've always wanted it thicker. I want a GPS chip in it too, and two cameras, and a bigger battery.

I have big pockets... ;)

12. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Who knows, they may even give out a new feature that the iphone may get next year.

13. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

Apple will never make something thicker than it already is to put more stuff inside of it. They will figure out a way to make internal parts smaller. Otherwise they are working backwards ;)

14. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

..... WOW! ;):D
    I think the new gen will be thicker than the current.

15. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, why would you need two cameras in the same device?

16. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

The iPhone 3G\3GS are thicker than the original iPhone 11.6mm > 12.3mm. The 2nd\3rd gen touch are also thicker than the 1st gen touch 7.9mm > 8.4mm.

17. MindsEye macrumors regular

If it meant having more of course. There are always going to be one or two who are going to make a big deal out of a few millimeteres but slighty sacrificing thinness for functionality is a no brainer in my book.

One reason is face time which uses both a front and back camera for video calling.

18. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

I like the thin design of the iPod. Call me crazy, but I do not like the thickness of the iPhone. I do not know why. Of course, if those will be only a few milimetres (2-3), that would be all right. I am aware, that you cannot get one (more stuff) without the other (more mm's). Maybe Apple will surprise us and brings it. Who knows...

19. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

I really don't care how thick the device is, I care more about functionality than that, but if it was a brick that was hard to carry around obviously I would care because that would mean the device would lose its portability status. If it meant they had to make it a little thicker to fit the camera and bigger battery then I say bring it on!

20. ChiChi macrumors newbie

I mainly care about the camera. I'm used to the thickness and the more squared look (iPod Classic 3th G., 1st G. iPod touch, my mobile phone has the same thickness as the iPC 3G). So I really wouldn't mind if they would make it a few mm thicker to fit the 5mp camera in it (I don't care about the front face camera).

I'd be disappointed if Apple decides to hold off on certain amazing features and only gives us a small satisfaction so that many will buy again next year (it's something I want to avoid. I don't want/need to upgrade every year).

Hell I just want it to be September already :p

21. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

If it was a couple mm, then wouldn't it be more likely to break? Smaller and thinner components tend to break more easily.

22. Outrun1986 macrumors 6502

All I know is that I am not waiting another year for a camera since I have already waited a whole year or more for one, I either buy this year, with a camera, or don't buy at all, if they don't have a camera. I was so disappointed with the news last year that they didn't put a camera in when they were supposed to that I just decided not to buy the product, or any apple products. If they don't put one in this year I will close my account on this forum and never buy an apple product for the rest of my life.

23. Yaris macrumors regular

I would love that. Is it just me, or is the touch a bit awkward sometimes because of how thin it is? Maybe it's because I have huge hands...

24. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

Thats a little harsh. I was disappointed too, but you can always buy a cheap no contract iphone too. Thats what I did (until it was stolen). I'll get an iphone 4 if the next ipod touch isn't good. I think the design is better on the phone and later maybe it can be activated (for anyone but ATT).