Would you like audio chats via iMessage?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by lancastor, Dec 13, 2013.

?

Would you like audio chats via iMessage?

1. Yes, that feature would be great

38.8%
  2. No, I don't need audio notes/chats

61.2%
  1. lancastor macrumors 6502a

... like in WhatsApp. I'm using it very often.

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

FaceTime has an audio option.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you want to talk voice-to-voice, why not just make a phone call?

4. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

What's the point? There is FaceTime and other VoIP services for that.

5. abshole765 macrumors 6502a

I can't wait until they make it possible to have audio texts. Y'know, instead of reading what they say, you hear them. No need to see them, just hear.

;)

6. lancastor thread starter macrumors 6502a

An audio note is in some cases faster as typing in a long text. The other person is more "real" and you can put more emotions in an audio note as you can do in a text message, even when you are using smilies.

Facetime audio is not the same as sending a short audio note.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's a term for that. It's called "voicemail".

8. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

QQ has it and it's quite popular.

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

When/if Apple implements this you can carry on and not use it. Voicemail isn't as fast as what he's describing. It works pretty well in WhatsApp and would be a nice addition to iMessage. I rarely use it myself but it's not a useless feature.

10. Saileshbreaker macrumors regular

You can always record a voice memo and send it via iMessage

11. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

And then I struggle to figure out what they are saying from the noisy environment they are audio messaging me from, while reading can be lot more understandable! By the way, if you don't like to type, just use voice to text! I find it it works well.

So, no! I don't think I would use it.

12. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Total waste of time! Of course it'd be a great gimmick for the kids. :)

13. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

I really don't see the point in this. There are so many other ways to do this, having the option in iMessage would only confuse novice users. Call them, leave a voicemail, use the voice recording app and then send, and so on.

14. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

You guys clearly never used apps like WeChat or QQ. The ability of sending voice message is so great especially when you trying to compse a long message.

Voice mail is so cumbersome to use. You have to call them first, then leave the message. To check your voice mail, you need enter password, making whole bunch of choice, then you get hear the message.

According to your logic, iMessage should simply a messaging app. There should not be option for attching picutures or files. Having these option in iMessage would only confuse email users. Email then, attaching the file, send them and so on.

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Are you talking about something like AT&Ts "Push to talk" or Nextel/Sprints "Direct Connect"?

It's actually a fairly useful feature, but there are apps that have this functionality.

16. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

But the iPhone CAN send voice-dictated messages without any trips to the app store.

If you're after an audio file then you use the Voice Memos app which comes with every iPhone. And if it's just dictation you need, Siri can handle that.

So the question is not "should we have voice memos" but rather "should there be a special button built into Messages to make it easier?"

And my answer to that is no. There are 2 different ways to do this already. There's no reason to add a 3rd method that will clutter up the app for the vast majority of people who wouldn't use it.

17. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

I think OP is talking about able to compse message using your voice. WeChat has this built in. I use this very frequently when chat with friends. You just press recording, then record your message, then send it. It is time saving when you trying to compse long message where you have type for long time.

----------

I disagree. I found when typing long messages, voice messaging inside the messaging app is exteremly useful. I don't have to leave my current app to accomplish same objective. I just have to press the button, record my message, send it... It is lot esaier to have to back and forth...

I guss this is same idea with file manager. Yes, lots of things can be done without file system, but just really complicated and annoying. For ease of use, things like file manager should come with the OS

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So, wait. You're not doing this for a really specific reason like you're singing a song or recording a car noise or something?

You're just doing it because talking is faster than typing?

19. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Isn't that basically how Push to talk works? You send a voice message to the other person or persons. Your phone can essentially work like a walkie-talkie.

20. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

Well OP I actually made of use of the voicenote feature yesterday with my wife. We were both amused by it, like using walkie talkies:D and its definitely not the same as sending voicemail.

It was a lot easier/quicker sending the short voicenote whereas my large hands creates texting errors often when typing quickly.

It was very handy, so I'd like to see the feature implemented in iMessage.

----------

But the method you are suggesting wouldn't create a chat log like how e.g Whatsapp does. Or does it?

21. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Yes, pretty much, but with all the voice conversion saved upon the server. You can review all the conversion log anytime you want. Same as traditional text message.

Yes, bascially.

22. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

What's a chat log?

The voice memos would be saved in Messages just like any other media you send and receive. You can play it back in the future.

Is that a log or is a log something different?

If that's all it is I would encourage you to us Siri more. It would be nicer to your friends.

23. DemonicZeus macrumors member

24. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Why not. Lots of messaging services now allow you to deliver recorded audio/video messages, including Facebook, Whatsapp and Skype. Someone said it would be too complicated. The photo button next to the text field could just be an attachments button, presenting a few more options. Easy.