Would you make this trade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jharvey71884, Feb 29, 2016.

1. jharvey71884 macrumors regular

I have a 2013 iMac 27' with a 3.2 GHZ Quad Core, 24 GB of ram, and 1T (7200 rpm).

I have also a Macbook Pro 13-inch for stuff in the field, but am finding it not quite powerful enough for my video editing in the field (I'm a sports reporter).

Today I was offered a 2015 Macbook Pro 15-inch (512 SSD, 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory, and 16GB of ram) for my iMac and $600.

From the looks of it, good condition and I would probably go buy Apple Care right away.

To note, I would also sell my 13' at my early time possible.

2. KaliPaige macrumors member

KaliPaige

This sounds like a good deal. You could always get an external monitor and connect the MacBook when you want a more desktop-like experience, and the dedicated GPU in the 2015 rMBP should be more than adequate for your needs.

Just be sure you can live with 8 GB less of RAM. 16 GB should be more than robust enough for your needs, but that's at your discretion.

3. Quicklite macrumors regular

Be sure you could get the warranty - thought that rMBP 15 (2015) is super fast.

4. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

That would definitely be a must. It looks like the serial checks out and that I would be able to get it until June.

5. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

$600 is pretty much the price difference between the two machines if you bought off Apple's refurb site so the "trade" is as fair as you can get.

6. Quicklite macrumors regular

I wonder if the Retina 15 might overheat / if you're editing video without a stand? The battery condition would also be good to know (though its the 2015 edition so should be decent); also rMBP 15 & charger feels quite a bit heavier than 13 imo; it might be that you'll also sell the 13 after getting 15, if you don't use 13 as much after?

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Check the cycle count on the battery, but unless it's at an outrageous amount, it seems like a fair deal. If the cycle count is anything more than 100 or so, try to get them to come down by about $50.

Normally I'd say go for it regardless, but if the 1 year warranty is up in only 4 months, I'd check that cycle count.