Would You Opt For A Retina Display On The 2012 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Rlnplehshalo, Jun 17, 2012.

?

Would you opt for a retina display?

1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. No

31 vote(s)
    63.3%
  1. Rlnplehshalo macrumors regular

I personally would not choose this option for a few reasons.

- Price. We would be looking at $300+ for a slighly higher resolution.
    - Current resolution is already very high.
    - It would create problems for games, programs etc. in terms of displaying the content.
    - It would require a very powerful graphics card to run any form of game or graphic program at a retina PPI.

Anyway whats everyone elses thoughts? Would you or wouldn't you?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Where did you get the price would be 300 higher? I think larger retina displays could potentially be much more expensive.

3. Rlnplehshalo thread starter macrumors regular

As I mentioned 'or higher' but I'm no expert when it comes to monitor pricing, just a guess.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The thing is the price for the display panel will dictate the desire for consumers to buy the iMac with a retina display. If the price increase is 800 or a 1,000 well the odds are good that most consumers won't.

So to rephrase your question, if apple came out with an iMac that only increased the price by 300, then I would consider buying one.

5. highlights macrumors newbie

If the cost was $300-500 more, then yes, absolutely. I do a lot of photo editing though, and use Aperture as my workhorse and Photoshop for finishing touches, both of which are/will be optimized for whatever display Apple comes out with.

I don't think it's necessary though, and I wouldn't pay more than $500 (and I think it's going to cost more than that when it comes out) to jump on it in the first release.

6. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

It may be high, but the screen is big, so the ppi is pathetic : ~110.

I won't buy a retina iMac because i have the new Macbook Pro and i'm waiting for a Mac Pro refresh, but i'd buy a retina Thunderbolt display...Or 2. :cool:

7. DeF46 macrumors regular

A 24inch Retina maybe? I'm sure I'd get used to it, downgrading from a 27 inch. 27 inch Retina is not gonna happen, that's my bet.

----------

True, it's a bit crummy compared to my new iPad. But 5120 pixels wide... :eek:

8. Tezcatlipoca macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

Nope. Not bothered by it, unless it's the same price (unlikely).

9. leman macrumors G3

I would pay around $2,200 for a retina i7 iMac with 256GB SSD and Nvidia 680m. But I don't believe that a big HiDPI display can be manufactured in a economic way yet.

10. Litany macrumors member

Not going to happen within the next 5 years. A 27" 220dpi would add well over $2000 to the base cost and it would drag down the GPU drastically.

11. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Apple do the base Retina MacBook Pro for $300 more than the base non-Retina MBP, yet it also has more RAM, a better video card, bigger battery, and SSD storage. The cost to the consumer of the Retina display doesn't seem to be to much in that comparison.

If they doubled the res in each direction of the 27", it would have about 3 times the number of pixels as the Retina MBP, so it is a bigger undertaking, but many were predicting large price rises for the Retina iPad (which didn't happen) and MBP (which are more modest than many predicted). I don't expect the cost to be silly.

And I would love a Retina iMac as I would finally have a monitor capable of displaying a full res Retina iPad screen in portrait mode. Something very useful for app development.

The reduced reflections of the Retina MBP would also be welcome on the iMac, although I hope they go further and use some of the new anti-reflective technologies.

12. cooky560 macrumors regular

cooky560

Something like 16GB of ram, an SSD and Ivy Bridge as standard are all I'd like to see from the new iMac, if it ever appears

13. Rlnplehshalo thread starter macrumors regular

too true, I would love even that alone without retina as standard.

14. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Everyone should stop talking about a retina iMac. Its not going to happen. Not for at least a couple of years IMO.