Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appurushido

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Now that the iPad Pros have been announced, the Face ID camera notch is not present in that all glass form factor. Would you be ok with a slightly thicker bezel to have a full glass screen with no notch on future XS models? Or do you think Apple will go for an embedded in-screen front facing camera like Samsung recently announced?

Also, now that the iPads have USB-C, will the the 2019 iPhones adopt that for next years models? What else can they add? They've got OLED, FaceID, 3D Touch, True Tone, and and Dual Camera lenses. They need to have that one new feature in every upgrade.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
Now that the iPad Pros have been announced, the Face ID camera notch is not present in that all glass form factor. Would you be ok with a slightly thicker bezel to have a full glass screen with no notch on future XS models? Or do you think Apple will go for an embedded in-screen front facing camera like Samsung recently announced?

Also, now that the iPads have USB-C, will the the 2019 iPhones adopt that for next years models? What else can they add? They've got OLED, FaceID, 3D Touch, True Tone, and and Dual Camera lenses. They need to have that one new feature in every upgrade.

It’s like 12’ big, you can hide whatever you want in those bezels. Larger bezel on such a small device (phone) is not the answer or future. They are working on the notch. You will see the notch reduced by half next year and completely gone In 2. Maybe even gone by next.

USB C should be coming but why would they do that? they make a lot off Lightning. That’s taking a lot of money out of there pockets if they adopt USBC for iPhone.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
What notch? ;) Seriously, I've had the XR for a day and sort of see the sides of the notch certain indicators lie. I haven't really thought about it.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Never know... they added Touch ID to the MBA despite all the talk about how Touch ID is never coming back.

LOL

It would be cool if next year's phones didn't have the notch... I'd feel a lot better about upgrading from my 8 Plus. :)

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Next year's phones will have a notch unless you're both hiding some technology that allows all that tech to hide under the OLED display.

Garemlin

Suspended
Oct 13, 2018
I don't think they could ever go back to a phone without edge to edge display. The world would stop turning for many. So as long as there is edge there will probably always be a notch. Though they may find a way to streamline it a little.

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
Nope, the notch and wings are usable, notch houses bits & bobs and wings show time, battery etc, if the notch went then more space would be needed for the date/battery info across the top.

Adam.

Reactions: G5isAlive

MyMacintosh

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Only time I notice the notch is when I change Wallpapers. The Max gives me enough room that i'm hardly ever looking up there anyway.

iRutherford

Suspended
Oct 30, 2018
Columbus, OH
I like the new iPad Pro’s design because it uses elements from the iPhone 5, 5S and SE. I honestly think it could be a sneak peek on next year’s design refresh for the iPhone. I would opt for visible bezels rather than the notch any time! No matter how you look at it, the notch is terrible despite its advantages.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Id take a bigger bezel, or opportunity to hide the notch and turn the sides into status areas only

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
They are working on the notch. You will see the notch reduced by half next year and completely gone In 2. Maybe even gone by next.

That would be nice. I'd seriously consider an upgrade from my 8 Plus next year if the notch were gone or if it were slimmer.

I can see myself embracing Face ID long before I embrace a notch in my screen. Still... a Touch ID option would be nice... you know... kinda like how they added it to the new MBAs even though we've heard for the last year how Touch ID was dead. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.