Would you pay $300 more for a CMBP with Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zipur, Sep 13, 2013.

1. zipur macrumors 6502

If they offered the classic style MBP with the DVD and all and just added the Retina display. Would that be worth an extra $300.00 for ya? Of course it would be heavier but you would have it all. What da ya say?

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

3. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Nope. Problem is that Mac's cost a lot to begin with. Why add more $$$ to it. Besides, in apple's world, you pay more to be thinner.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Honestly, I'd consider it. Of course adding $300 to the price of a retina MBP would basically max the RAM (and since DDR3 can't go above 16gb) $300 for a thicker MBP with a DVD drive and spinny HDD doesn't seem worth it.

5. thehustleman macrumors 65816

6. BookerDW macrumors member

For one with two TB ports, an ethernet jack, FW800 and the ability to put two drives into it? You bet your ass I would. That saves me at least $60 in dongles while still being able to utilize my TB ports, and another couple hundred in external storage dangling off my laptop. Then again, I'd pay $4k for a 17" cMBP with a retina display (i.e. 4K), but that's me.

7. mcarling macrumors 65816

If the cMBP were the only form factor available, then yes I would pay $500 more for the Retina display. On the other hand, if I could get a cMBP with Retina display for the same price as the cMBP costs now, or a rMBP (no optical brick form factor) for the price it costs now, I would pay the extra money for the better form factor.

8. ogi.nic macrumors member

cMBP, high-res/retina screen in matte, optical drive/option to add a second drive, RJ45, FW800, TB?

-> "Take my money!"

17"? *slap*, wake up ...

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I love the thinner design. I'm happy with the rMBP as it stands, though I wish I had an ethernet port but I can live with the dongle or wireless. :)

10. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Nope. retina offers no benefit, just a pretty screen that takes more GPU cycles. I have a retina Ipad. Not that big of a deal. Love my CMBP

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Absolutely. I dislike the entire concept of a machine that's sacrificing things like accessible memory slots just to shave a few mm off the size. I also use the optical drive 2-3 times per week and rely on the Ethernet port.

Now that I think on it, I'd probably be happy with a new cMBP even if it didn't have retina.

12. Rick-ITA macrumors regular

Yes, definitely.

1) The notebook is more robust and durable, with a piece of glass to protect the retina display

2) It is totally upgradeable by myself. For example I will install a 128Gb SDD + 500Gb HDD but in general the idea is that you can configure the machine basing on your needs.

3) It got ethernet.

13. cjoy macrumors member

signed.
    would be neat if they had just introduced the rMBP as part of the MacBook Air family (where they belong) and continue upgrading the cMBP alongside.

Even now, the "old" 15" cMBP is a more capable machine than the newer rMBP models. Of course, people that didn't need a MacBook Pro in the first place, are perfectly happy with the downgrade and the slight savings in weight/size.

14. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I wish the rMBP had the same keyboard as the cMBP. I just don't use the Superdrive enough to warrant the old form factor. I'd rather have an external DVD burner around for the couple of times a year I need it.

15. cube, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

cube macrumors G5

It should also have 4 RAM slots, ExpressCard slot instead of SD, 3 USB ports, AMD graphics, Iris Pro, 15mm hard drive compatibility, 10GBase-T, unlocked global 3G card, mSATA slot (but no forced Fusion).

16. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

17. Mac.User macrumors 6502

I'd find a 13in Pro with retina display or 13in Air with retina to be a perfect machine for me.

I like that you can put 2 SSD in the 13in Pro, and upgrade to 16GB of RAM, but I like the fact Retina can do 1680x1050 resolution.

If they made a retina option for the 13 Pro I would buy one today

18. ogi.nic macrumors member

I am wondering why the cMBP didn't have an IPS screen, i.e. with 1080?
    Was the cMBP screen spec kept down on purpose (so that the difference to Retsina is bigger)?

19. Rick-ITA macrumors regular

That's for sure.

Because the cMBP screen is very good. Blacks are black, dynamic range and colour saturation is far superior than MBA screen.

I mean, I don't exactly need a retina. A screen with the same quality as of cMBP but some more resolution (1920x1080) would be great.

But it won't come, because is gonna eat retina sells.

20. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Nope. Not interested in an optical drive (haven't put one in a desktop build in over 4 years).

Even if they decided to bring back the 17" as a giant retina super-machine I wouldn't want an optical drive wasting the space that could easily fit 2 HDDs, more ports, more battery, and so on.

21. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

$300 more for an optical drive and a Kensington lock? This thread is wasteland material.

I'm guessing you haven't used a rMBP.

22. cube macrumors G5

It also has a built-in gigabit ethernet port and FireWire and can be upgraded with an inexpensive 1.5TB hard drive (like I have since today).

And you buy your own replaceable 16GB RAM, instead of paying the Apple tax and having to pray it doesn't go bad.

23. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

No, $300 more for a retina display in a cMBP chassis. Hell yes I would. I have a retina 15" but I do wish it was user upgradable.

24. Y So Jelly macrumors regular

For my eyes, the retina resolution did not make much of a difference unless I leaned my face over the keyboard.

What I DO like, are the IPS contrast & viewing angles. A slightly thinner CMBP with IPS, Haswell, and 1440x900 res would be perfect.

I do not believe apple will continue this line due to the upgradability.

----------

I had a CMBP last week. Returned it for an Air. The CMBP was indeed superior for viewing images & movies. I also loved the engineering put into it, like the edge to edge glass w/ black surround, well organized & upgradable bays, and metal power button.

But the screen was too reflective, and the resolution too low. Improved color saturation meant little for text & work applications. The Air is ironically better for my productivity.