Would you pay a data plan on a Point and Shoot Camera?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by chrf097, Oct 5, 2012.

?

Do you think a 3G enabled Point and Shoot is useful?

1. This is awesome! Bring on the 3G Point and Shoots!

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. Lets see how well it does at first

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. This is the stupidest waste of money

13 vote(s)
    56.5%
  1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Because with the new Samsung Galaxy Smart Camera, you can.

[​IMG]

Full Story can be found here. Story origin of Engadget. Click Here to read the rest.

I originally thought that the app enabled fridges that companies are putting out were ridiculous, but do AT&T/Samsung honestly see a market where we have Point and Shoot cameras sell with data plans? Most phones take better pictures than these point and shoots anyways. Why not get one of those? What do you think about this?

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

It's like a chunky iPod touch with a better camera. It would be fantastic for travelling.

It's easy enough to get daily or weekly sim plans too - so just use the 3G when you need it.

Probably a niche device, but I'd find a use for one.

3. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

I can see it having some good use, but its a little bit overboard. I mean does a point and shoot really need 3G or a completely full android OS? most people buy a point and shoot just to have a camera, they're not buying it for apps or MP3s or web browsing.

4. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I think it seems a little redundant, given most of us already carry smartphones in our pockets that take amazing pictures we can instantly share with the world.

With that said, that is one good looking camera.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    This is about what I think of it. A P&S camera with that large of a screen would be pretty nice, but full on functional Android and a 3G radio is wayyyy overkill. All it needs is wifi capabilities and an easy way to transfer your pics from the camera to your computer.

Edit: Just saw the Dropbox icon on there. Taking a picture and having it ported to every computer you have linked to DB without any effort on your part would be pretty cool...

...hmm.

6. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

That would be nice, a digital camera that can upload to different media sites via wifi, but the camera is essentially the full galaxy S3 experience, even S Voice. Is that what we really want or need on our P&S?

7. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

[​IMG]

Plugging in a cable isn't easy?

Anyway.

This thing is awesome, smartphone camera's aren't really that great, so I could see a use for it.

8. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

I very much like the idea of running Android on a camera. You can pick and choose your capture app and then do post editing right on the device. Sure many cameras have post adjustment options, but this takes it to a whole different level.

Now 3G I'm not so sure about. It'd be nice to be able to sync my photos over the internet, but it wouldn't be very practical with current data caps.

9. Renzatic, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Easier than that. I've got two cameras. One using a mini USB cable, one using a micro. It always seems that no matter where I'm at, the cable I need is always somewhere else in the house. Having a camera that can transfer all it's pictures over wifi without having to goof around with cables or card readers would make life a helluva lot easier. No fuss, no muss.

Though using 3G for it is way overboard. Nice as it might sound in theory, I'm not gonna pay an extra $30 a month just to have my pictures waiting for me on my computer whenever I get back to the house. Having the camera start uploading them through dropbox as soon as I walk through the door is more than enough for me.

From what I hear, the Lumia 920 and iPhone 5 are supposedly sporting near point and shoot quality cameras on them. If that's true, it'll make getting this thing that much less appealing.

...and that's just too much. I can understand wanting to use a stripped down version of Android for the UI. For one thing, it'd allow for some neat camera apps and extra features that could come in handy. But slapping a P&S camera in front of a full on smartphone is taking 5 unnecessary steps beyond. Most people who buy this are already gonna have a smartphone, and it's too big for someone to want to use it as their primary. All it's doing is driving up the price of the device without offering any real benefit.

It's a good idea that'd be a great one if Samsung culled back some of the excess features.

10. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I think I'll stick to my DSLR. Phones for making calls, computers for getting on the internet, cameras for taking pictures. I would have no use for 3G on a camera and if I want wireless convenience for syncing with my computer there are always EyeFi cards. For people who aren't into photography this wouldn't have any advantage over a good cell phone camera.

11. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I would only pay a data plan for a camera if Apple was getting the money. If it was anyone else, I'd be appalled. But as long as it provides a revenue stream for Apple, it would be ok. :D

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Why not just put a wifi chip into a camera and when you get home, it auto-uploads. There's no need to use 3G for instant-upload.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

No way would I pay for a data plan for a camera.

14. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

A data plan for a camera is stupid. What's wrong with Wi-Fi? I barely need data on my phone anymore, why would a camera need it? And why wouldn't I just wait until I get home, upload them to a computer and touch them up before uploading them? If they're not that important, use a phone camera (modern phone cameras are more than adequate), and if they are, you're going to want to edit them anyway. It's an answer to a problem that doesn't really exist.

15. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Yep, stupid is as stupid does.

I'd considering buying a Canon EOS with wi-fi though if it could do a good job of backing things up to the cloud as soon as I connect somewhere.

The digital point-and-shoot is dead to me though between my iPhone 4S and Canon 3D for digital.

16. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'll pass. But I can see how this could be very useful for photographers.

17. Zach Vega macrumors regular

Zach Vega

Well, uh, no. I don't ever use the camera app anyways. When I first saw the title, I thought it was a joke. But I guess some photographer might take advantage of it.