Would you pay more for better graphics?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by MacBH928, Dec 3, 2010.

1. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I went to download Babylonian Twins
    but found out that the iphone version is $.99
    but if you want to get the HD version , its $2.99

the HD version is 200% more expensive than the iphone version, just for the graphics?
    Do you think its worth it to pay so much of a price difference just for the HD graphics?

I know we are talking about a $1 and $3 which are small amounts, but I am talking the huge price difference just for HD?
    so a game that is $10, should cost $30 when its in HD?

and another weird thing,
    When I do a search for Babylonian twins in the app store, I get the results with the iPad version costing $.99 , but when you actually click on it to go the the game's page, its costs $2.99 :confused:
    whats going on?

2. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

My opinion.

If the game is identical and it's just a scale up of the graphics then yes, 99 to 2.99 is a ripp off.

3x the price for the same program code but reworking graphics is not right.

Personally double the price would be MORE than enough of a mark up.

Or course, the person has to earn money for their work. I don't expect anyone to spend days/weeks working for free.

But the majority of the work would of been put into the initial product as it's actual code.

Reworking the graphics, whilst I'm sure is a fair amount of work, is not the same as coding up an app from nothing.

It it was .99 and 1.99 for HD version then personally I think that would be plenty of difference.

3. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

I think app developers should work for free and collect welfare from the government.

4. DylanG macrumors regular

DylanG

A correctly priced app will have no correlation between effort and price. Once developed, the effort is a sunk cost and the price is what the market will bear.

It is generally harder to develop for the iPhone/iPod than the iPad. By effort dictates price logic, iPhone apps should be more expensive. But the market will support higher prices for the iPad so the smart publisher capitalizes on that.

5. MacBH928 thread starter macrumors 68020

MacBH928

I really wouldn't complain if the price of the two games is $5 or $10

but to multiply it by 3x just for HD graphics?
    I don't think HD graphics should cost more at all unless they are redrawing the whole thing, because that is like doing another game

but if its just save a higher resolution graphics, I think it should be all the same.

HD versions should never cost more in my opinion in games or video/movies .

The game is now on sale for $1 and I am going to buy it(yes the HD version)

Dylan G , why would developing for the iphone be harder? isnt it all the same thing?