Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
I plan on using it for Ingress and Geocaching when those apps become Watch compatible (which I highly see as happening for Ingress since they're already in the process of an Android Wear app anyway). Does that count?

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
See my post above.

Yeah, same kind of FUD we've all heard before about iPhone home buttons. The device is made to be used. Let's not start this thing where we try to tell people that they're using their device the wrong way/too hard.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Yeah, same kind of FUD we've all heard before about iPhone home buttons. The device is made to be used. Let's not start this thing where we try to tell people that they're using their device the wrong way/too hard.

Absolute rubbish. It's one thing using the crown for its normal purpose and quite another to use it to control a game like Pong. If you want to risk damaging the crown and possibly stop it working by using it as a controller for a Pong game that's up to you. In my opinion this is a silly thing to do with a watch like this. As for the Home button on iPhones this is is in no way the same thing so your comparison makes no sense and has no relevance.

kovey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
So you're going to go into a bank, where everyone's wearing casual formal wear, people are walking in and out in various different business attire/street clothes, with the intent of making deposits/withdrawals, and you think that's an appropriate place to be playing a game of whatever on your tiny watch screen?

I wouldn't even do that with my iPhone. It is not the time or place to be doing that sort of thing, and people will think you're a fool for doing so.

Playing a game is fine when you're at home doing nothing. But I'd rather be checking my e-mails or reading the news when I'm sitting at a doctor's office or whatever (and to be honest, the last time I was at a hospital, I picked up a magazine, and then just watched the TV for two hours and put my phone in my pocket). Games are too engaging to play in a busy waiting room/lobby.

What century do you live in where people get dressed up to go to the bank? Who gives a dick what others wear in a bank for that matter. People walk into banks wearing cutoff sweats and a tank top.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I would if it was unique to the watch. If i feel the watch adds no extra value to the game over an iPhone or iPad I would not play it.

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I think it's unnatural to keep my wrist pointed to me for longer than 15 seconds, so no, games do not make any sense. The whole SmartWatch idea is bad and we must start thinking where technology is used best. I don't think that wearables is the best way to use technology.

macguy90

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Upstate NY
Sure I would, why not? I think we'll be seeing a bunch of fun little games that are tailored specifically for the small display. Although I'd be cautious about playing it for too long because of battery life.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
It's one thing using the crown for its normal purpose and quite another to use it to control a game like Pong. If you want to risk damaging the crown and possibly stop it working by using it as a controller for a Pong game that's up to you.

Are you suggesting that Apple designed the digital crown they make such a huge deal about, to not be used much? To be such a poorly engineered thing that it would stop working just because you were audacious enough to use it? You make it sound like a pong game would be abusing it in some way, but it's just turning it exactly the same as if it were used to scroll through content in an app or zoom in and out of apps on the home screen (which, btw, Apple expects people to be doing all the time).

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Absolute rubbish. It's one thing using the crown for its normal purpose and quite another to use it to control a game like Pong. If you want to risk damaging the crown and possibly stop it working by using it as a controller for a Pong game that's up to you. In my opinion this is a silly thing to do with a watch like this. As for the Home button on iPhones this is is in no way the same thing so your comparison makes no sense and has no relevance.

Yes, because turning the crown a 1/4 of a turn 50 times in the span of a few minutes is so much stress. :roll eyes:

And yes, my comparison the home button is extremely relevant. When Apple introduced double-tap to launch the multitasking interface, there were posters saying that it was the death of the home button. "More clicks are going to lead to undue wear! I'll never buy a used iPhone ever again because the home buttons won't work!"

camtechman56

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
Warren, pa.
So you're going to go into a bank, where everyone's wearing casual formal wear, people are walking in and out in various different business attire/street clothes, with the intent of making deposits/withdrawals, and you think that's an appropriate place to be playing a game of whatever on your tiny watch screen?

I wouldn't even do that with my iPhone. It is not the time or place to be doing that sort of thing, and people will think you're a fool for doing so.

Playing a game is fine when you're at home doing nothing. But I'd rather be checking my e-mails or reading the news when I'm sitting at a doctor's office or whatever (and to be honest, the last time I was at a hospital, I picked up a magazine, and then just watched the TV for two hours and put my phone in my pocket). Games are too engaging to play in a busy waiting room/lobby.

Honestly... yes I would and have. on a Friday night sometimes the lines in the bank are atrocious, 1/2 hour wait. As for the people in the bank I go to, no one dresses up, it is rather casual, and nobody cares what you are doing they just want to get done and get on with their next chore. Besides I not out to impress anyone, nor do I care what others think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.