Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nmills

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Rumors are circulating about the possibility of a smaller screen on the new iPads. Is this something you would prefer?
I think for me it may be a reason to go with the original iPad. I really love the size of the current version. (I wouldn't mind it being thinner/lighter, but I like the actual size)

Which would you prefer? Smaller screen? Or keeping the screen size the same?

MacMonkee

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
UK
I can kind of see why people would like a smaller screen for portability but it's very unlikely Apple will ever go with anything smaller - Steve Jobs has said himself he thinks 7inch Tablets suck.

Personally I love the 9inch screen on the iPad and that extra screen space means the iPad can do one thing that none of the smaller tablets can - have a (almost) full sized keyboard when in landscape. Why would you want anything less than that?

huskerchad

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Not remotely interested. Honestly if anything I would want a slightly larger screen, as long as they could do it without increasing the weight. My perfect iPad would probably be about 25% more screen real estate and a bit lighter.

The current crop of small-ish tablets showing up has missed the point, IMO. Web browsing and other content consumption are where these devices shine, and a 7" screen is not capable of shining for those tasks. That device is going to function a lot more like a mobile phone than an iPad.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Nope. I already have a smart phone if I want to browse the internet on a small screen.

nmills

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009
I can kind of see why people would like a smaller screen for portability but it's very unlikely Apple will ever go with anything smaller - Steve Jobs has said himself he thinks 7inch Tablets suck.

Well, I'm glad Stevo and I agree! I would have been disappointed had the 7" rumor been true!

DukeOfHunslet

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
Hunslet, England
Steve Jobs may well think the 7" tablet is a none starter. But if iBooks starts to turn a profit and sales of Amazon Kindle 7" devices begin to rise you can bet what's hidden in your sock drawer that Apple will have a 7" tablet ready to go into production with very little warning.

Personally I like the current size but can't help but think what a waste all that black bezel is. You could go to 11" screen in the existing casing assuming production technology advances in the next 24 months to let it happen.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I wouldn't want a smaller screen, but I do think there is a market for it. Perhaps in 2012 we'll see it if the 7" tablet catches on with other device makers.

nmills

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Steve Jobs may well think the 7" tablet is a none starter. But if iBooks starts to turn a profit and sales of Amazon Kindle 7" devices begin to rise you can bet what's hidden in your sock drawer that Apple will have a 7" tablet ready to go into production with very little warning.

Personally I like the current size but can't help but think what a waste all that black bezel is. You could go to 11" screen in the existing casing assuming production technology advances in the next 24 months to let it happen.

I don't think the Kindle is a competitor for the iPad at all. Is it? I have a Kindle and will be buying an iPad. The Kindle is for books, and unless the iPad has e-ink, it will be horrible on the eyes to read for hours on a backlit device. Just my opinion of course...I didn't realize that the Kindle was any type of competition for the iPad

muu

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
the 10inch format works well on your lap. Phone sizes are nice as a handheld. can't say the 7inchers cater to either setup, unless it can cut weight down as much as a kindle.

DukeOfHunslet

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
Hunslet, England
Totally agree - the iPad and Kindle are not yet competing. But imagine a world where printed books and magazines are treated the same as old records are today. In that world the winner of the betamax/VHS war will be the one with the best all-round experience. People won't carry a sack of devices around with them.

The mediocrity out there govern what the rest of us use. I foresee a world where Apple have a myriad of personal devices out there of every screen size imaginable - from one that you wear on your wrist (nano) through to phone (iPhone/touch) to reader (7") to mobile video (iPad) and beyond to a device as big as an A3 piece of paper aimed at industry.

Aston Martin now make a micro car.
VW make the worlds fastest car.

Market dominance never stopped Microsoft coming up with the next version of Windows. All big business see it as their birth right to dominate their market - if you dismiss an area of it as 'none starter' you end up like Nokia today warning it's employee's of its own extinction...

Today iPad and Kindle are not the same - when their next respective versions appear and show them to have converging features I would say that a battle not seen since Sony gave up making Betamax is about to commence.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Like this hasn't been discussed a hundred times already, fortunately I don't have a job so I can waste time online all day doing this.
yes a number of people would like to see a smaller screen and those who don't are compelled to argue the 10inch screen is the perfect size cause Steve said so. However we do have to take what ole Steve said at face value and accept his reasons for the iPad remaining at the current size. That does not mean that a smaller device won't happen at some time. This year the best chance of that is a bigger model of the Touch which could be around 5 or 6 inches and use the retina resolution with a larger screen just by increasing pixel size a bit. It would lack the 3G feature of the iPads but with WIFI it would still be useful and if bigger would be easier on old eyes.
It might happen , it might not. Either way arguing endlessly about it is not going to make a bit of difference to the powers that be. If they decide there is a market for it and they can make basketful's of money on it then it will happen. Stay tuned and see what happens in the fall.

PS> this seems to suggest that also.
http://www.9to5mac.com/51428/screw-ipad-2-lets-start-talking-about-ipad-3

Last edited:

nmills

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 12, 2009
Like this hasn't been discussed a hundred times already, fortunately I don't have a job so I can waste time online all day doing this.

Either way arguing endlessly about it is not going to make a bit of difference to the powers that be. If they decide there is a market for it and they can make basketful's of money on it then it will happen. Stay tuned and see what happens in the fall.

What arguments? My OP was just to see what people here prefer. That is all. No arguments on what is better or even predictions on what is to come. Simple curiosity of general preference was my motivation for this post, that's all ;)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Ill put my NO in here as well, it just doesn't make sense. Any smaller and you are quickly approaching the size of your smartphone. I'm pretty happy with the ipad's screen size, it makes me feel I am replacing my laptop, rather than feeling like I am lugging around a large smartphone.

Hawke

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
Dublin, Ireland
I don't think the Kindle is a competitor for the iPad at all. Is it? I have a Kindle and will be buying an iPad. The Kindle is for books, and unless the iPad has e-ink, it will be horrible on the eyes to read for hours on a backlit device. Just my opinion of course...I didn't realize that the Kindle was any type of competition for the iPad

Agreed 100%

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I have said from Day 1, way back March/April last year.

I want a larger screen model. 13" perhaps.

zenio

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Steve Jobs said a smaller screen reduces touch accuracy.

I'm so sick of "Steve says”

He doesn't say that about the almighty iPhone!

He also has a history of trashing an idea, then later suddenly "It's Magical & Revolutionary”.... Yeah Right!

Give us a 7" iPad like the competition is doing and they'll sell like crazy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.