Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you prefer In-Display TouchID w/No Notch or FaceID with Notch?

• FaceID w/Notch because I know that will need to take up space anyways.

Votes: 92 36.9%
  • TouchID w/o Notch because I don't like the notch that much, I don't care about face tracking/recog

Votes: 157 63.1%

• Total voters

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
As the topic states, would you have prefered a notchless in-display TouchID and not have any FaceID? Or would you prefer to have FaceID like this year knowing that all the tech would require a notch?

I was against the notch, but then thought about how all the TrueDepth camera tech requiring space on the face of the device... so it is justified. Having TouchID with no notch sounds good, but then you lose Scene Clips and any of the animojis, face tracking, and other applications face and depth tracking brings.

What is your preference?

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
I can’t really judge how face ID will be until I actually use it in person but right now I would prefer notchless with Touch ID through the screen, since I know I like it already

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I would probably take it as it is, which is what Apple intended.

The main reason I am passing on the X is not the notch or Face ID; those are factors but not my main concerns.

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
As the topic states, would you have prefered a notchless in-display TouchID and not have any FaceID? Or would you prefer to have FaceID like this year knowing that all the tech would require a notch?

I was against the notch, but then thought about how all the TrueDepth camera tech requiring space on the face of the device... so it is justified. Having TouchID with no notch sounds good, but then you lose Scene Clips and any of the animojis, face tracking, and other applications face and depth tracking brings.

What is your preference?
Everyone will vote Touch ID under display, but once the X is in use and people realize that Face ID is better, they’ll want it.

Reactions: DaveOP

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I don't have an issue with the notch, even though it is very noticeable. If Face ID is highly successful, that will make the transition even easier for me.

Reactions: Vundu and Ntombi

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
You aren’t getting an iPhone X with a front facing camera without the notch that comes with it. Touch ID display or not.

Reactions: Ntombi

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Let's be real. People will get used to it. They might not like in the beginning, but they will adjust. I know selfie people will have no problem unlocking the phone.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I personally don't get the anxiety regarding the notch. I don't think it's a beautiful feature, but the screen to the left and right are used cleverly. I would expect Apple to continue to tweak the OS so that we don't get issues like I have seen with scroll bar in landscape mode, as an example.

I've not used Face ID, so it is difficult for me to decide I don't like it. I will say my mom can't use Touch ID, so I would think she would appreciate something like this as opposed to typing a PW in every time. I am willing to give it a try and hear of actual pros and cons from more than just industry folks who got five minutes with it before casting judegement.

Reactions: Ntombi

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I will have face ID disabled as soon as I can get into settings on my X. One reason and one reason only I want the X. THE SCREEN!!

What I find interesting, is that with the OLED display, Apple actually purchased their panels from Samsung. So I'm curious to see side-by-side comparison's with the S8/Note 8 compared to the iPhone X when its released.

Reactions: Jimmy James

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
I think we can customize our faceid for an extra layer of security
I mean you can smile a little when you are register your facid so, even the police can’t unlock your iphone x just placing it in front of your face. Or you can register faceid while you are a little bit
frowning or angry

Bane-Thunder

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2014
Problem here is your asking people to choose between Fantasy and Reality. The obvious choice is fantasy cause everyone wants that.

If it were possible I think the Fantasy would have been done no? Clearly it wasn't ready for consumer use yet.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I'd rather have FaceID with a small bezel at the top and bottom which would allow videos, apps and photos to display properly. I especially can't stand a cutout on videos and photos so I'll be cropping them to exclude the notch which will essentially create virtual bezels anyway.

I think FaceID will be great, but that notch will force the iPhone X to have the screen size of a smaller phone. However, perhaps there will be clever ways that content makers will accommodate it that I haven't foreseen. I still plan to try and get an X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.