Would you rather Apple delay the iPhone 8 or launch it with select features disabled at first?[Poll]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LoveToMacRumors, Jul 13, 2017.

?

Would you rather Apple delay the iPhone 8 or launch it with select features disabled at first?

1. Delay the iPhone 8, release when fully ready no matter the wait

42 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. Delay the iPhone 8, release when fully ready as long as it's less than 4 weeks

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  3. Release the iPhone 8 normally and add features as they are ready

22 vote(s)
    33.8%
  1. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

2. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

If you are talking about hardware features like putting TouchID under the glass on the front, inductive charging capabilities (hardware), etc -->delay release until all is ready.

If you mean software updates or accessories (inductive charging puck, etc.), then I don't mind waiting.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't care what they do.

If the physical design of the device does not change it won't matter to me what Apple does.

4. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Software updates will be released as they are ready as usual. The hardware will be set and never delayed. Any hardware updates will be put into the next model. Happens every year. :)

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

7. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

What features are you talking about? With so little info this poll is kind of meaningless.

8. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

IIRC, the OLED panel was actually supposed to be introduced on the current 7 Plus model, but due to not being able to source a supplier in time, we got the 6 S S Plus model.

That's the huge issue currently: people are concerned that features that were planned (Touch ID under the glass) will not make it due to bugs/tech constraints, and will be put off to the next model.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I'd rather have a delay than a rushed out product with bugs and non working features.
    A delay could also help them do better this year with keeping up with supply and not too long of a back order log.

10. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

That’s what disappointments me about the 7+. Was hoping for the OLED to cut down on the bezel sizes. The ONLY reason why I have the 7+ is because of the battery life and camera. Battery life is the only reason why I originally started with the 6+. I don’t have the biggest hands so I struggle with using my phone with one hand.

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Highly unlikely There would be a delay with with the new iPhone itself, aside from possible add on features. If anything at all, it will be all about the element of surprise with touch ID and the home button. But anything delayed there after, likely will be due to wireless charging accessories or some other feature we are not aware of yet.

But if there was a caveat, perhaps both models are announced on Keynote day, followed by the "7s" launching first and the OLED iPhone launching at a later date and time.

12. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I would think if they released the iPhone 8 with the features disabled that make it a premium phone then it would be bad economic sense for Apple. The iPhone 8 is expected to cost more than previous iPhones at launch so why not wait till it is completely ready for public consumption? Better to do it right then rush it out based on their own arbitrary timeline.

13. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

From a consumer standpoint wait until its ready. Show a little restraint people. Teach tech companies that we will not accept a product that is not ready. Are we all pushovers? A $1000 plus phone that's not ready. Really?

14. Puonti macrumors 6502a

I picked Other - Wait and see what Apple releases.

15. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Yeah millions will buy it but the real IPhone 8 will be the 8s in 2018

16. JPack macrumors 6502a

JPack

Apple should launch the device on time. The features in development can be released incrementally.

A "big bang" release, even delayed, means a greater likelihood of hardware and software bugs. With Apple's secretive development environment, there is simply no way to catch the hardware and software bugs until the device is in the hands of consumers.

It's unfortunate, but the first several million iPhone X users will be beta testers. The sooner that phase is complete, the sooner Apple can send that feedback to their hardware team for immediate fixes or for the 2018 iPhone.

17. pandi.ruvina macrumors regular

You mean that if physical design will not be different, than you are not going to own anymore Apple products? As far as I remember, I read a comment of yours in another thread, that if this time Apple doesn't change physical design, this would mean the starting to an end for Apple?!

18. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

What point is there to this poll OP. Everything is on course already

19. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Since I bought the 7+, I don't want to spend the money just a year later, even if it makes me envious. Next year's model will have additional improvements, at least internally, and maybe I can then pass on my 7+.

To help me wait another year, when I bought the SE as a replacement for my sister rather than wait until fall and give her my 7+, and upgrade to the new model for myself. MUCH cheaper.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.

We're up for new phones in early 2018. It will have been 2.5 years with the 6s and 6s+. I don't wish to do another 2 to 3.5 years on another iPhone that looks exactly the same (with fugly camera bump) as the current 6s+ I own.

I like the Huawei P10+ so that may be where we end up.

Which doesn't mean I won't stil use all my current Apple devices though. My 6s+ will probably go to my son.

21. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

How did you conclude this assertion?

22. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Damn. I thought I had the real iPhone 7.

23. pandi.ruvina macrumors regular

Well, in that case probably a Huawei like yours would really solve the situation, but I really think that Apple doesn't have anymore imagination/design, call it whatever you want! I personally thinking on Huawei P10 or P10+, saw a good review on YouTube, Mr Mobile (Michael Fischer), which by the way is extremely good on reviews and I really like it, so in Europe where I live, if no "extreme" changes are presented this fall, I probably would say farewell to Apple!

P.S : how is the battery on P10+, cause my main interest is on that, would love the same battery performance on SE, applied to Huawei!

24. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

According to that post, the real iPhone 7 comes out this September.

25. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It looks like a nice phone, but I cannot tell you anything about the battery as I don't own one.

I also haven't looked at it in depth yet as what Apple does in regards to the new iPhone will determine which way I go.

That said, I have no binding loyalty to Apple. I use the products of theirs I like and that's it. I'm not bound to their ecosystem and neither are the other users in my house. The only service I use is iMessage and that's easily replaceable with SMS.

Facetime is nice every once in a while but I usually just call my wife if I need to talk to her.

My newest Mac is a 2006 MBP which is limited to Snow Leopard only so no iPhone I own can sync to it, except maybe my 4s and 5 which I don't sync anyway.

So, again, really not bound to Apple.