Would you rather drive or fly?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Nov 3, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

A) I am getting a car from a different province. The distance is 572 miles or 9 hours and 21 minutes. I would have to drive that and have a friend drive back the other car. So I would have to drive back two cars. For an approximate of 19 hours on the road. Whoo hoo.

B) The other option would be to drive two hours to take a flight that would take an 1 1/2 hours for the flight. For a total of 3.5 hours. We would have to drive back with the new car. For an approximate time of 13 hours.

According to cost to drive .com it would cost $132.12 in total for gas for driving in scenario a). The cost to fly and drive the one car back would cost, 518 for the flight + 44.04 to drive the car back. Total for scenario B) 562.04

2. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

3. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

What is the 'price' of 6 hours for you? And what is the cost of the 19 hours for the person coming with you on the drive?

Also, if you drove both ways I'd imagine you'd have to stay somewhere to rest up, which would be an extra cost.

I'd fly in your situation. In other situations I drive because it's much more relaxing.

4. shivermetimbers macrumors 6502

Drive, it is much prettier. Plus I am packing heat (glock 22)....I dont worry about things.

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I have done a long car trip like that once (Ottawa to Charlotte, NC). I don't plan to do it again anytime soon. Remember to factor in more meals if you drive both ways.

For the $400 difference, I'd fly.

Edit: forgot about the "fun road trip" factor. If it's a good friend, sure, it could be cool. But be warned, 19 hours together in a car will tell you both a lot about how good your friendship is.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So, which miserable Chrysler product did you settle on, then? :eek: :D

Congratulations, man. If you drive, totally make it a road trip and have some fun. Flying could be fun too though.

7. edge540 macrumors regular

edge540

If it was me, I would fly and then drive back by myself. There is just too much going on to drive to pick up a car. That would have to be a really good friend to drive a car for 10 hours following you. And you would have to pay for gas for both cars on the way back, devaluing that car for 1200 miles. If you go by the standard government $/mile thats almost $600.

8. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Though my calculations estimate it would be $415 for driving.

9. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Did you get the one with the hail damage? Hey just on a positive note about your road trip. At least you won't have to worry about hail damage if the weather goes bad. Enjoy! :)

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No Poll?

I agree. If you ever do buy a car and it is that far away then I would fly.

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

You have the right idea, plus how many banks can you hit while you are in the air? ;)

Attached Files:

12. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Normally, if I can drive somewhere in 8-10 hours, I will do that before flying. I hate flying. Or rather, I hate the process of flying. I'm not scared, since I figure dying in a flaming plane crash isn't much different than dying in a flaming car crash. No, I hate airports, airport security, delays, etc. As Douglas Adams once said "no language in history has ever come up with the phrase 'as lovely as an airport'".

At least when driving, I get to control who sits next to me, I know where my luggage is at all times, and I don't have to pay $5 for a can of soda. :)

13. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Would it be possible to rent a car for the trip to pick up the other car? Here in the states we have one way car rentals where you can pick it up in one city and drop it off in an entirely different city or state. It cost a little more to do this, but it's not as expensive as a flight. If this is a possibility and your friend is a good friend then this would eliminate the two car scenario and you could ride together the whole time making for good conversation and pleasant company. Having two drivers also allows for taking turns to allow the other a break. I'm always up for a good "adventure" with a friend which is what this would be.

If a one way rental is not an option and cost between flying and driving two cars is close then I would say fly to save both yourself and your friend time.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do you ever make a decision without first posting it here?

15. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I think GoldenMacKid needs to add a line to his sig that reads "We are not your blog, either."

16. djellison macrumors 68020

Same here. That's what I like to do.

17. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Do you get a meal on the plane that comes with the airfare? If not, you could take a nap and make it back without a sleep over.

How much are you paying the second driver? Buying his/her meals, room for one night?

I'd fly.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

19. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you would;)

21. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Not just scenery, but people amidst the scenery.

Drive the world. :)

22. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

23. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

i would drive, having said that i don't like flying.