Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
This is of you had to choose one and no "neither I would rather save my $$"

Just assume apple released the iphone edition and you won one and could choose bw that or the watch. and yes taxes will be paid by apple -:)

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
"Neither" really should be a option.

Both will be behind the tech curve in 2-3 years, so I really don't understand the market of people who would spend that kind of money on either, unless you just literally have money to throw away.

But, if you forced me to buy one or the other, I guess I'd buy the watch since there is a precedent for expensive time pieces and I'd feel like less of a tool for having bought one.

EDIT: just saw that this can be considered a gift. My answer is the same, but the reasoning is that I can probably more easily sell a $10K watch than I can a phone of the same price.

Last edited:

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
My Rolex holds its value for years. No problem. An Apple watch or phone is obsolete in a year!! It will be replaced next year! Pointless. :eek:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

Just assume apple released the iphone edition and you won one and could choose bw that or the watch. and yes taxes will be paid by apple -:)

Neither.

I'd spend 10x more on a Patek Philippe instead, because it holds its value well for generations. In fact, I'd be happy to lay down $300k for one.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
Walking around with a 10k watch on? Getting a phone call on a 10k phone? Is the phone personalized by God's official autograph? Does this watch also allow you to teleport to France in 2secs? I can't...I just can't. Even if it was free, I'd still feel awkward and even a little unsafe with either one.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Would you rather lose an your arm or a leg?

I used to agonize over these type of questions, then it dawned on me how silly it was to put myself through misery for no good reason. Why suffer voluntarily for no cause? If I do, I may as well do it for some good.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT

I'd much rather have $350 Apple Watch on my wrist and $9650 in my pocket.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Like most people here, my real answer is "neither." But to actually answer the question asked: iphone, because, regardless of the gold and such, I just find an iphone more useful than a watch.

capuzino

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Finland

I'd probably choose the Watch Edition, but not because I would wear it and show off that I have money, but save it untouched for the future.

Why?
To see if instead of losing it's price tag it gains some dollars around it. It will be obsolete device in a year and a piece of tech crap in three but what about in 10 or 20 years? It's first gen. device, and there's a chance it might be a fancy item around collectors during that time. And why just the Watch Edition versions? Because their quantity will be the most limited.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I'd probably choose the Watch Edition, but not because I would wear it and show off that I have money, but save it untouched for the future.

Why?
To see if instead of losing it's price tag it gains some dollars around it. It will be obsolete device in a year and a piece of tech crap in three but what about in 10 or 20 years? It's first gen. device, and there's a chance it might be a fancy item around collectors during that time. And why just the Watch Edition versions? Because their quantity will be the most limited.

I was thinking the same. Also, an obsolete watch takes less space and is more functional than an obsolete phone: it could still tell time.

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Ahhh Ha! It's a trick question! Because you can't get full functionality from your 10k Apple Watch without the 10k iPhone.

Answer = both?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Could I return either and get $10k on an iTunes card?

I'd prefer that...movies, books, music, apps (iOS & OS X) would be many times greater.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.