Would you rather have a very eventful job or a boring one?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, May 2, 2010.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Crazy insane busy jobs:

Jobs that I have had that were eventful was being a on site PC/Mac tech (5 of us for over 700 people) trying to fix computers in a company where most of the people were clerks or administrative assistants who never wanted me or any tech to "touch" their computer, yet wanted their computer fixed ASAP. More politics than in D.C. We got paid very well and I think the people at their desks were pretty pissed off about their very low pay and took it out on us. The wide area network engineers got paid more but they hid in the back room and had a separate entrance in and out of the building and few knew who they were. The business was a phone ordering call center.

Another one is where I had to do what would normally take 8 hours but is crammed into 5 hours at most due to late workers from previous shift and early workers on next shift. Federal and state law had it that we had to sanitize a workplace with "hazardous" chemicals using pretty heavy duty equipment so we are pressed without even 2 minutes to take a break.

Boring jobs:

How about a civil servant job which requires you to do about 6 out of hours to get credit for 8 hours, but then due to allocations and budget, won't allow you to work more than 90 minutes per day. They come down hard to those who do more than an hour and a half, but they won't fire you, but you'll want to quit.

Night auditor job where you assist the night front desk person by doing the books for nearly 2 hours, but spend 6 hours of that shift walking around the motel/hotel many times to check out the place for passed out people, squatters, meth heads, broken beer bottles, more meth heads, fights but usually stand at the greeting table in freezing, wet weather really acting as more a bouncer and not a greeter since very few people check in after midnight.

Big money dollar donor phone hotline operator (for non-profit hospital) where on average, you have to man the phone to wait for what amounts to 0-2 calls a day of somebody wanting to donate more than $10,000 dollars to the hospital. You take down their info and pass it on through the ladder up to the boss who then brings it to the Board of Directors. Nobody who has ever worked that desk (and you get the whole freaking room) has ever received more than 2 calls in decades.

Los Padres National Forest fire watcher. You sit on a high tower and spend your 8 hour shift looking out for fires. Lunch break consists of what you can carry up the high ravine, and then tall ladder to fire lookout tower.

Share your stories of hectic jobs or extremely boring jobs :D

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I thought this was a waloshin thread when I read the title :p

Anyway, I can't say I've ever had a boring job. I worked in an independent bookstore for a while which was interesting given the clientele and the nature of the business.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Adult bookstore by any chance?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I use to be the code grunt and general systems fixit guy for a quant team on a trading floor. This was in the days of screaming and yelling. It was invigoragting but could get tiring after 10 or so hours. I had jobs working in cubicles. Soul destroying.

6. MikhailT macrumors 601

Boring jobs in my IT experience never happens for all year long. We usually get a spike every once in a while that'll take weeks if not months to settle down, those are now called production seasons and almost all companies have it. It can get really boring in the non-production season but it gives us a chance to recover from the production season and to prepare for the upcoming production season and in my opinion, I actually like the non-production season because it allows me to expand my IT knowledge by looking into more solutions, buying new parts, equipment research, studying for more certifications and get trained which are all paid by the company.

The problems I have with busy/eventful job is dependent on the hours and workforce. I can't work 80-100 hours a week constantly as a single IT person in the whole company. I had to quit my last job because of this, 2-3 week of this is fine but 4-6 months of this without any additional relief in sight? Forget it, I finally got burnt out hardcore and for the sake of sanity, I left the company.

Not to mention the difference between working with a startup (small company) and the SMB/Enterprise is different. Sadly, I still haven't found a job with a SMB/Enterprise, most of my experiences are with start-ups.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

80-100 hours a week is crazy hours, 40 is bad enough :eek:.

Definitely an interesting job for me.

8. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

A crazy insane job. You can't be tested and grow if you aren't pushed to your limits.

Boring jobs blow.

9. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Just show me the money. Most of the jobs are a means to an end (ie. to have enough money so that you don't have to worry about your living standard). I usually have some options to pick so that I don't need to go overboard to the "hate the job to the core but it pays quite nicely" type of job.

10. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

This should have been a poll.

How about a job thats in-between the two?

Im in a crazy insane job and hate it. Its not about being pushed to your limits as another person mentioned. Its about being worked to death and than some.

This is only some of what I put up with:

1) Having the workload of 2-3 people pushed onto a single person.

2) Since meetings were interfereing with peak hours of productivity, more and more meetings are scheduled during lunch, and they dont supply lunch, and frown upon people bringing lunch.

3) Being given a beeper so that if a piece of equipment fails during the night or on a weekend, you can log in or come in and take care of it.

4) Unreasonable deadlines (i.e. being given a project that would take at least 3 weeks to complete and being told you have less than two weeks to produce results).

5) Your given 4 weeks of vacation a year, +4 personal days, and are told that you cant take off more than 3 days in row because no one else is able to do what you do.

6) In the case of a female co-worker, being told that becoming a mother could interfere with her career advancement.

7) Taking a vacation day to relax and unwind, spend time with family, and end up having to field calls from a boss who is more incompetent than you are.

This is big pharma for you.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

12. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

^^^ yes, but in this economy, the employers know that many employees will put up with it for now. I haven't had a no crap vacation in almost three years, but my employer knows that I'm not in a position to do anything about it.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

14. ethical macrumors 68000

Where on earth do you work!?

For me, it would depend on more factors.... if I enjoyed the super busy insane job then obviously I would prefer that. In fact one of the reasons I'm studying what I am is because the job at the end of it is like that, and will push and test me constantly. I love that. But on the other hand if the busy insane job isn't one that you are enjoying, then it's going to be hell! There's no middle ground on that. You either love the push, or you hate the grind!

15. MikhailT macrumors 601

Dude! That's pretty much me in IT except the female part.

It was more like 5 persons worth of workload onto me, the worst part is that I can't predict the next day which role I'll be playing. They expected me to be a data center tech, help desk both remote and local, software debugger, systems and network admin and reseacher all in an eight hour shift. That of course never works out to be an eight hour, extending to 12-14, not to mention weekend projects, night shifts and especially longer shift if I have to go to the data center only to come back with a important tickets that have to be done on the same day.

I often go home tired and hungry only to end up working a few hours remotely as well.

I remember 10-15 years ago, my family were able to take summers off to go to summer "camp" just to relax and spend time with the rest of the family. Nowadays you can't even get the same one day off.

16. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

This is absolutely correct.

I wish I could say Im exaggerating, but things are pretty bad out there. Its either have no job at all or put up with that B.S.

17. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Yeah, things changed for us around 3 years ago...I had a very reasonable workload, and the managers were of the mindset that if your done for the day go home (meaning if its like 330 or so of course). I was able to take two weeks off and go and do whatever.

It pretty much blows...I leave for work at seven am, and I often dont get home till close to seven...tired, hungry, and burned out. Since Im one of those people that requires at least 8-9 hours of sleep to function it means I pretty much come home, eat, play with the dog a little bit and than go to bed around nine.

I think alot of what my employer does is questionable in terms of legality but there really isnt much one can do.

The irony is that I was once one of the biggest supporters of big pharma because at one time the employees were treated well, but as I see my workload increase, and my salary remain stagnant (no salary increase the past two years), while the executives pull in millions in salaries and bonuses Ive pretty much realized that they really are pretty evil.

18. MikhailT macrumors 601

Sad thing is, this will come back to bite the country in the ass as long as they are not doing anything about this. This globalization stuff is eventually going to destabilize the country completely if they don't get a handle on this.

I think as a country, we need to fall back to the old society where we'll have huge manufacturing workforce, long term employment, more mandated vacation time, free or cheap postsecondary education and so on. The more we outsource our labor to other countries, the more our country will suffer. We need to go back and we need to toughen up too. We also need to completely de-emphasizes the management and focus more on the employers. This crap about all the bonuses and huge paychecks need to go away. The crap that companies pull about "we need to retain those people and so we're willing to pay them more" is crap, everybody needs to be given a chance to do their job and most people can do the job if trained well and given a couple of chances.

Mistakes must be tolerated and encouraged, not the way it is now. We are humans and as such we all have some flaws, that has to be respected and be turned into a positive thing. If a person makes a mistake once in a while when he's working, he shouldn't be yelled at, warned with job termination or something like that. We all need to be more considerate, open minded and a higher tolerance rate.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have a nearly perfect job: I'm a graphic/web designer at a university.

People love and appreciates the work I do and there's always something new and interesting going on.

Best of all, if I screw up nobody dies... and the product that I'm promoting (higher education) won't make you fat or give you cancer.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Somewhere inbetween would be nice. That's what I'm hoping to do after I get my Masters, something slap bang between too busy and too boring.

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I currently have a job that is either one or another, so it'd be kind of inbetween. Although, I'm settling down to just studio work and stopping the tour roadie business.

22. samiwas Suspended

Strangely enough, I'd totally prefer a boring one, as long as I was allowed to do my own thing during it (like the example where you just sat around and waited for phone calls). I don't need to be pushed by an outside force to feel validated in myself.

Two examples from my past and present:

One, I used to tour as a lighting tech with an arena family show. We had to load the show in early in the week and load out on Sunday evenings. Between was just a few hours a day of shows. My job was to make sure the system was kept working...fixing broken lights and such. Well, I kept the system in tip-top shape, and thus things rarely broke. This meant I had very little to do, but I still had to be there. So I would hang out in my work area, turn on some tunes, and work on my hobby, 3D modeling and animation. And I was getting paid (although not very well!) and getting to tour the country and world. To me, that's perfect.

Now, I still work as a lighting tech/designer, but now in a more freelance situation. For the installs I do, we used to have anywhere from 3-6 weeks to install into a space. 3 weeks were for the smallest and easiest installs. I also had three assistants I could rely on. For the last install I did, they decided they needed to save money. So they cut the install period down to 15 days. They also cut me down to one assistant. This was also for the largest install we do. But to save money, did they reduce the size of the install?? NOOO. They added about 20% of space to it, and it was in a VERY difficult space to work (and they kept changing plans faster than we could keep up). In the end, I made as much in overtime as I would have if we had worked for an extra week, so they saved no money there. I also ended up having to hire many more people than usual, so again, more money spent. In addition, I was going back to the hotel after work each evening and having to prep for the next one, which I am doing currently. So I hardly slept at all for those two weeks. I was mentally done, and was completely unhappy with the end result, because we just couldn't function with the time and changes.

Some people thrive on a situation like the second example and live for that. To me, it's complete and utter BS. I told that employer, in no uncertain terms, that if they tried to do that again, they would have to hire someone else. I prefer to enjoy my life. I work to live, not live to work. I do not feel the need to push myself to the outer limits at work in order to feel like I've accomplished something. I push myself in my creativity to accomplish what I want. I am never bored. I'll leave the crazy work to someone else.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There are some jobs like that in the UK, you have to put in pretty crazy hours if you work at a bank in London, or if you're a doctor.

But in the former case you are compensated accordingly, by earning at least twice as much as in any other job and the latter is true in many countries in the world.

That said I'm sure you still get the weekends off and I'm sure they won't stop you having your 4 weeks holiday (plus public holidays).

24. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Eventful is always better. A boring job can sap the life out of you. The days seem longer and you ironically you end up with less energy after a boring long day.

25. Queso macrumors G4

Although I'm a freelancer I've been doing the "immersion" route with my clients to get through the downturn. It's been an eye-opener. One particular client, a law firm whom I ended up walking away from mid-project, treated its IT staff in exactly the terms being described above. Management ended up despising me because not only would I not take their BS demands for out of hours work, but my refusals started becoming a rallying point for their employees to protest against their own workload. However, as they'd run their own staff ragged nearly all the projects I was working on were simply not progressing without my input. I tried to explain that if they allowed their own people to stop and breathe occasionally they wouldn't be dependent on expensive freelancers like myself to meet deadlines, but of course they thought they knew best and continued demanding overnight working and seven-day cover. The working hours were incredibly stressful, full of cliques bitching, political in-fighting, and constant flare-ups because of the stress. Not a healthy working environment.

For the moment I'm doing some work for a large media company. Whilst it can be incredibly chaotic with demands for large-scale IT deployments coming out of nowhere attached to unrealistic deadlines there is a much better sense of camaraderie throughout the business. Nobody works more than 50 hours a week, and it shows.

EDIT : Oh yeah, the initial question :D. I'd rather an eventful job, it makes the day go faster.