Would you rather have Light Peak or USB 3.0 support?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by benhollberg, Feb 22, 2011.

?

Would you rather have Light Peak or USB 3.0 support?

1. Light Peak

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. USB 3.0

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

In the next update of Macs would you rather have Light Peak or USB 3.0 support?

2. celticpride678

I'd take both, but since USB 3.0 is likely to be more widely supported at this point in time, USB 3.0

3. Scippy macrumors regular

Since, lightpeak is supposed to be compatible with USB 3.0, I would have to say lightpeak. Then you get the advantages of both worlds. Even though, I would prefer both if possible.

4. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I would agree that most everyone would choose both but this is a one or the other thing. It looks like Light Peak will be coming but I agree with you, USB 3.0 already has support on products, I believe, and would probably be more useful right now.

5. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Oh wow I didn't know that, please explain on this compatible with USB 3.0 thing.

6. celticpride678

I don't think it supports USB 3.0, but rather is faster than it. They are two different technologies - Intel is trying to get rid of USB 3.0, not support it.

7. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

That is what I thought in the first place.

8. Scippy macrumors regular

I may be wrong, but my understanding of lightpeak was that USB, Firewire protocols could run though the lightpeak network.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/storage/light-peak-black-hole-or-brilliant-beacon/1183

9. benhollberg thread starter macrumors 68020

benhollberg

That sounds way cool, so my understanding you can run multiple things over the same port at the same time?

Also just found this interesting thing from another thread:

10. Signal-11, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011

Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Not on this first revision they're not. People are already bumping up against HDMI 1.3's ~10Gbps limit. Video is a real hog. Unless you have lower requirements.

I'd rather have USB 3. And Uncle Steve is already wrong in his prediction about USB3 not taking off. They've already become fairly common. The industry's spoken and they've chosen USB3 already.

I have a strong feeling that the LightPeak thing is going to be a repeat of FireWire. Better tech, loser in the marketplace. The search for FW peripherals have always been slim pickens.

11. res1233 macrumors 65816

res1233

If the plug they use is the one that we've been seeing, then there is a strong possibility that LightPeak will be compatible with USB 2.0 and maybe 3.0 from the start. Meaning you can just plug it into the LightPeak port and you're good to go. Not sure this is how it's going to be, but lets just say, I wouldn't be shocked. Plus, LightPeak is going to be quite a bit faster than USB 3.0.