Would you rather Lightning or USB-C?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chrf097, Dec 10, 2015.

?

What IO do you want on the iPhone 7?

1. USB-C

38 vote(s)
    55.9%
  2. Lightning

30 vote(s)
    44.1%
  1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

What port would you like on the iPhone? Lightning or USB-C?

I like lightning, but honestly I'd much more prefer USB-C. Every property of lightning USB-C has, and a Lightning to USB-C adapter would not be hard to make.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I would rather 30-pin.

Syncing with my PowerPC Macs would be nice. :D

3. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I vote Lightning because I already have a pile of cables in different places. I made the switch to Lightning buying all new cables, don't want to change again for a while.

4. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

With a reversible connector and support for much faster transfer speeds (Thunderbolt 3) and charging rates (14.5V/2A on MacBook, 3A/5V on Nexus 6P), there's definitely a need to transition to USB-C sooner rather than later. Since it a non-proprietary standard, it will allow device inter-operability on a much better level than the proprietary lightning connector.

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

The only time my devices are connected to anything is charging. (a few times I will backup to a pc but not often)
    Curious what you're connecting to that needs a faster connection. This is not an argument point, I'm truly curious what your connecting to that should be faster.

6. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I've already got all the Lightning cables I need (car, home, office), and I've got multiple Lightning devices. So I'd prefer they stay the course for now.

I can't think of the last time I used a wired connection for data transfer, and I can charge my phone fast enough now. Plus Apple has already demonstrated that the Lightning connector can handle USB3 speeds, with the iPad Pro.

C

7. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

Largely to transfer photos and movies, as well as faster backups (I backup everyday - essentially I charge from my Mac). Also, some apps I use, such as Comic Zeal, could do with faster transfer speeds when I'm copying over comics.

8. pearphone7 macrumors newbie

pearphone7

Doesn't really affect me because my 3 devices are all made by Apple. Lightning's a big improvement on the 30-pin adapter that came before it that's for sure.

9. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

Ahh, I transfer all of that wireless and use iCloud Photo Library with additional purchased storage. My backups with occasional exception are done to iCloud via wireless too. Understand the desire though if that is how you're using it, I was just curious. Thanks for the reply.

10. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

But if one of them is USB-C, and the other two are Lightning, wouldn't that be a bit of a pain? Until you upgrade all three, at least.

C

11. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

$50 for the USB C power adapter. No thanks.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

Hope they stick with lightning but I bet in the next few years . . . ..

13. VertPin macrumors 6502

VertPin

Personally, I would prefer a lightning cable. I already own quite a bit of them, and they work with all of my Apple products I own. While USB-C is nice, I'd rather not see it.

14. knownikko macrumors 6502

After seeing the way lightning ports fatigue over time with my 5S, I'm ready to embrace another standard.

15. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

The ports on your phone wear out, or the cables wear out? I've had a few Apple cables fray at the ends, to the point of having to discard them.

C

16. knownikko macrumors 6502

The port on the phone. After ~18 months of pretty heavy use the pins inside the Lightning port got "loose" or bent back or some other physical issue. Every night it was an exercise frustration to position the cable in just the right place to get it to charge.

17. charlieasmith96 macrumors member

Apple really need to choose between either USB-C or Lightning, and stick with their decision. At the moment, they are juggling between USB-C on their rMB and Lightning on their iOS devices and now their accessories. Clearly, USB-A will soon be replaced by USB-C across their Mac lineup which will cause further disparity and fragmentation. We will be juggling between Lightning or USB-C. Since USB-C is non-proprietary and has further benefits in terms of data transmission, it seems the obvious choice and I would like to see them make the change AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Why they chose to use Lightning connectors on their recent accessories (Magic devices, Siri Remote) screams madness when the obvious trend is towards USB-C.

18. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

19. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Let's see -

New Apple tv remote - lightning
    New magic trackpad - lightning
    New keyboard - lightning

It's not going away anytime soon.

Apple has already stated the memory they use on the phones can't be written to at USB 3 speeds.

20. Skika macrumors 68030

M8 im almost positive you just had dust in your port. It can really clog in there, so you need a pin or something to remove it.

21. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

That's pocket lint. Mine does that too. Take a small flat wooden toothpick and slide it in there and back and forth and get all the lint out.

Mine works great and snaps securely again. Done it twice in 2 years. Your lint mileage may vary.

Good luck

22. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Yep, it is surely dust and lint. You beat me to it lol.

23. IFRIT macrumors 6502a

Apple will never switch to a none proprietary connector on the iPhone. But they should switch to USB C.

24. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Lightning to usb3 like my iPad pro. USB c is fine but I'll skip rapid charging thanks

25. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

USB-C because that is what all Macs will be using in 2016, all other phone chargers will be using it in the near future, and proprietary connectors stink.