Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you rather stay with your last iOS version after updating to 9 on your iPhone 6 or 6+?

• Total voters

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
So for those who have iPhone 6 or 6+ and upgraded to iOS 9 from whatever last iOS version on your device, what do you think about the update all in all? Would you prefer iOS 9 (does matter which 9.x you are on) or rather stay with your last version of iOS? Please take the poll.

I will mark down the poll result here whenever there is new minor update to iOS 9 to see whether the minors would be doing people a favor or not. So please come back and change your vote if you change your mind along the way apple refines iOS 9. The nearest mark will be for 9.0.2.

And FYI, I am an iOS 8.4.1 user still sitting on the fence with an iPhone 6.

Update:
iOS 9.0.2 mark, Oct 21 (iOS9.1 released): 55 voters, 23 liked iOS 9 better, 22 regretted

Last edited:

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Tough.I only chose iOS 9 for Adblock but regretting my decision as the lag is persistent

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
If you're basing your decision solely on lag and are very sensitive to lag, don't upgrade. You will find some lag.

In my case, it's not a deal breaker at all. Otherwise, iOS 9 is much more stable than 8. Especially when it comes to Safari. My 6+ hasn't suffered one page reload or crash on iOS 9.1 b5. On 8.4.1, these two things happened several times a day.

Reactions: philipyoungg

philipyoungg

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2015
Jakarta Capital Region
If you're basing your decision solely on lag and are very sensitive to lag, don't upgrade. You will find some lag.

In my case, it's not a deal breaker at all. Otherwise, iOS 9 is much more stable than 8. Especially when it comes to Safari. My 6+ hasn't suffered one page reload or crash on iOS 9.1 b5. On 8.4.1, these two things happened several times a day.

This.

I say, if you religiously use spotlight searches and don't mind to take small performance hit—then go. Otherwise, stay at 8.4.1. It's different case on iPad though. iPad Air, iPad Mini 2, and iPad Mini 3 took considerable performance hit. Even iPad 2, 3 (the worst performant), and 4 performs much better. Can't say about iPad Air 2.

My girlfriend use 6+ and she is on 9.0.2. If I were her, I won't update. My 5s perform better compared to her device.

geekguy123

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
I voted iOS 9 but only because on running the beta of 9.1 -- it's fixed most of the lag. I've had an iPhone 6 Plus for about a year and it's always been laggy but 9.1 fixed it. But I won't jailbreak because I'd have to go back to 9. Hoping for 9.1 JB.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
I was fine upgrading to 9 on my 6 Plus. I didn't really notice any increase in lag or stuttering and having access to ad blockers almost eliminated tab reloading for me.

If given the choice again, personally, I would upgrade again. But that's just me.

Sonnto

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2015
Toronto, ON
My battery life and smoothness was affected so I would like to switch back. I would miss the facedown screen off thing and Low Power Mode and Content Blocking and Maps. But other than that, 8.4.1 is better. Plus, if I stayed, I could update to 9 should I want to. But if I am on 9, there's no way of me moving freely to 8.4.1, albeit 8.4.1 > 9 is a permanent move itself.

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Forgetting all the talk about lag, how about updating for the security fixes? That's my biggest reason.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
An OS update is not just spit and lipstick. Just like OS on computers, there are security patches and other stuff in them. So considering that even my old iPhone 5 is running 9.0.2 just fine, I don't understand the obsession in staying with an older unpatched OS on your pocket computer. Did I upgrade to iOS 9 right away, no. I waited until 9.0.1. But staying with an 1 generation older OS doesn't make any logical sense unless you have no way to backup your phone (no iCloud access, no computer).

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
iOS 9 introduced it's own security bugs that had to be fixed and still is not right. What security warning from 8.4.1 is needed and plugged in 9.0.2? Tell me this then perhaps i can give you a point for this. As it is now, upgrading due to severe security bugs is not on. Perhaps later iOS 9 updates could change the need.

theyearof84

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Reality
I love the new San Francisco font on 9, ad blockers, and some small cosmetic things, but that's about where my appreciation for 9 stops.

Using a 6+ on 9.0.2 right now is almost never a fluid, smooth affair. Exiting programs and proceeding to swipe to another screen is sometimes almost so slow I think the phone is going to crash. Multitask switcher is a stuttering mess when more than one program is open. Taps sometimes don't register, and when they do it takes a full 2-3 seconds. A majority of the time swiping to the new spotlight screen on the left is fairly smooth, but that's about it. Swiping down to access spotlight is never smooth.

Look, we're all tired of the constant lag threads, the back and forth between people who say they see it, the people who say it's not there or they don't see it, ad nauseam.

I just want a smooth, fluid, frictionless experience on a device that should be easily crushing anything and everything the OS draws on the screen. That's it.

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
An OS update is not just spit and lipstick. Just like OS on computers, there are security patches and other stuff in them. So considering that even my old iPhone 5 is running 9.0.2 just fine, I don't understand the obsession in staying with an older unpatched OS on your pocket computer. Did I upgrade to iOS 9 right away, no. I waited until 9.0.1. But staying with an 1 generation older OS doesn't make any logical sense unless you have no way to backup your phone (no iCloud access, no computer).

Rationally I can't not argue with concerns of security. But I know even for people who understand, of course not professionally, importance of security would be thinking that by avoiding risky behavior they can be largely safe. After all security breach is not a thing that happens so frequently that it makes you want to sacrifice everyday smoothness of your device. Call me opportunistic if you want, but I am sure I am not the only one. Yes, I understand getting infected once could make me regret what I've just said, but losing a smooth experience could piss me off everyday, particularly on a device that is just a year old.

After type what is above, I feel bad for what apple has been doing these day. Keeping security updated while maintaining smoothness isn't that hard, is it, apple?

Reactions: Shirasaki

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Absolutely, but 5s here. It's the same scenario anyway.

I'm not sure how everyone is surviving iOS 9. It's horrendously laggy and buggy. I've seen it run on the 6+ at the Apple Store, and it's absolutely horrid. It runs like an iPhone 4s!

I'm happily on 8.4.1 after seeing that 9.0 was stupidly slow. I upgraded to 9 and then downgraded. I'll wait out until these issues are fixed, even if it takes months. A fast phone is really important.

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013

I would have done the same thing if I were you in which case you were almost sure that 9 couldn't be worse than 8.4.1. Several crushes for a browser sounds like we were in the year when browser was invented and waiting eagerly for the next update :)

Last edited:

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I love the new San Francisco font on 9, ad blockers, and some small cosmetic things, but that's about where my appreciation for 9 stops.
Using a 6+ on 9.0.2 right now is almost never a fluid, smooth affair. Exiting programs and proceeding to swipe to another screen is sometimes almost so slow I think the phone is going to crash. Multitask switcher is a stuttering mess when more than one program is open. Taps sometimes don't register, and when they do it takes a full 2-3 seconds. A majority of the time swiping to the new spotlight screen on the left is fairly smooth, but that's about it. Swiping down to access spotlight is never smooth.

Look, we're all tired of the constant lag threads, the back and forth between people who say they see it, the people who say it's not there or they don't see it, ad nauseam.

I just want a smooth, fluid, frictionless experience on a device that should be easily crushing anything and everything the OS draws on the screen. That's it.

Even though I am skeptical about iOS 9, your case doesn't sound representative to me. Apple would definitely be in media spotlight for this if that was what's happening to a majority of 6+ customers.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

Damn.Sounds like a very bad Android device.I feel ya tho.My N5 is a better experience than the 6 on iOS 9

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
I'm not sure how everyone is surviving iOS 9. It's horrendously laggy and buggy. I've seen it run on the 6+ at the Apple Store, and it's absolutely horrid. It runs like an iPhone 4s

Haha! A little hyperbole from you my friend. The same hyperbole you're claiming others are sharing in regards to lag. ;)

6+ runs great here. Safari is literally night and day, when compared to the daily crash fest that Safari was on 8.4.1. There's lag present in 9, but other than that 9 is superior to 8. Less crashes, equals more stable to me. Obviously you equate fluidity with stability. I do not. :)

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Forgetting all the talk about lag, how about updating for the security fixes? That's my biggest reason.

Lag free is one of my biggest reasons buying an iPhone. I paid the extra mostly for ux and how am supposed to be talking without topic of lag in the conversation? And I think that's why the forum is full of complaints about 'non essential issues' (in some people's point of view) when something that fiddles with ux happens.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
Lag free is one of my biggest reasons buying an iPhone. I paid the extra mostly for ux and how am supposed to be talking without topic of lag in the conversation? And I think that's why the forum is full of complaints about 'non essential issues' (in some people's point of view) when something that fiddles with ux happens.

It sounds like you should stay on 8.4.1, but don't believe how horrible the lag is. Some folks make it seem the device is unusable. It is not. Remember, iOS 8 was not lag free when released. It got to that place, after several updates.

Both my devices (6+ and Air 2) are functioning great on 9.1 beta 5. Plus, fluidity will come. I don't use iOS for fluidity. I'm not sitting there all day swiping to catch a glimpse of lag. I use it to get things done and as long as the minor lack of fluidity in areas doesn't get in my way, I'm good. iOS 9 is darn good imo.

Reactions: mikzn

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Haha! A little hyperbole from you my friend. The same hyperbole you're claiming others are sharing in regards to lag. ;)

6+ runs great here. Safari is literally night and day, when compared to the daily crash fest that Safari was on 8.4.1. There's lag present in 9, but other than that 9 is superior to 8. Less crashes, equals more stable to me. Obviously you equate fluidity with stability. I do not. :)

Or maybe vertsix didn't come across stability issue with his device ;)

typicaluser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
It sounds like you should stay on 8.4.1, but don't believe how horrible the lag is. Some folks make it seem the device is unusable. It is not. Remember, iOS 8 was not lag free when released. It got to that place, after several updates.

Both my devices (6+ and Air 2) are functioning great on 9.1 beta 5. Plus, fluidity will come. I don't use iOS for fluidity. I'm not sitting there all day swiping to catch a glimpse of lag. I use it to get things done and as long as the minor lack of fluidity in areas doesn't get in my way, I'm good. iOS 9 is darn good imo.

I will track my poll after 9.1. For now, I just don't want to upgrade and have access to beta release. I know there are public betas which I don't bother. Yes, I remember and I also remember how lucky I felt when I found that I skipped some relatively buggy updates of 8.

Reactions: philipyoungg

theyearof84

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Reality
Even though I am skeptical about iOS 9, your case doesn't sound representative to me. Apple would definitely be in media spotlight for this if that was what's happening to a majority of 6+ customers.

That or most people just accept it at this point, which is a shame.

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver

Exactly! benifits of iOS9.1 (on iPhone 6) far outweigh any "supposed lag" or minor bugs, iCloud drive that finally works, notes and reminders that sync, contacts that really sync well finally ( on 5 devices) and for me keynote, numbers and pages for viewing and editing and syncing documents with MBP, iPad and with other ppl. I have a also a 4S running 9.1 for another phone # I have and when at home handoff works like a charm and can answer calls from either phone - that is cool. Much of the handoff features were really buggy on OS8 and now they work.

I jumped on the OS9 beta early and the only issue for me was battery life on the first few versions - but that has been long fixed and working well on both my 4s and 6. I honestly can't find any lag, stutter, or bugs worth mention. This release is "way superior" to OS7 and OS8 which (to me) were full of bugs and problems.

Reactions: scjr

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Rationally I can't not argue with concerns of security. But I know even for people who understand, of course not professionally, importance of security would be thinking that by avoiding risky behavior they can be largely safe. After all security breach is not a thing that happens so frequently that it makes you want to sacrifice everyday smoothness of your device. Call me opportunistic if you want, but I am sure I am not the only one. Yes, I understand getting infected once could make me regret what I've just said, but losing a smooth experience could piss me off everyday, particularly on a device that is just a year old.

After type what is above, I feel bad for what apple has been doing these day. Keeping security updated while maintaining smoothness isn't that hard, is it, apple?
In this days and age, when your phone is connected to the internet 24/7, the benefit of updated security is paramount.

I have an iPhone 5 and iPad mini 2. Both are running 9.0.2. Both are still filled with all the apps I have had in them ever since I bought them, and I'm not finding regular usage to be inhibited at all. The fluidity is the same as iOS 8. I remembered iOS 6 (not 7) on my iPhone 4, and iOS 9 on the A6 and A7 hardware to me is much more fluid.

Nonetheless, it is interesting to see the obsession of staying with an older OS, and rationalising the decision. I think it's a general consumer behaviour. I treat my phone as a computer, thus the need of security updates. I believe most people treat their phones as an appliance (you don't find the need to patch your microwave). This also explains why nobody is taking Google/Android OEMs liable for the lack of timely security and OS updates on Android handsets. Anyway, different topic, but interesting to see.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.