Would you rather....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macguy360, Jan 29, 2012.

?

When your macbook (regular, air or pro) gets slow after a few years, would you rather

1. Buy a brand new macbook replacement $1000-$2500

20 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. Upgrade your hard drive to a solid state hard drive $150-$300

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. Buy a used newer model macbook $600-900

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. stick with what you have

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

I started this thread because I am curious how other macbook owners feel.

After a few years of having your macbook, what makes you want to buy a new macbook?

If it is speed related, would you rather spend $1000-$2500 for the newest model macbook or would you rather just upgrade the hard drive to a solid state drive for like $150-$250 and get an even better boost in speed?

The reason I ask this is because most people I know when they start getting frustrated that their macs are getting slower, they want to get a new macbook entirely and don't even consider the other options. I just want to know what your opinion is on the matter.

2. Laco macrumors 6502

It depends on how old it is and whether it stopped fulfilling its purpose. For example, my Macbook is almost 5 years old and it can no longer do something that I need it to, so I will buy something new. But if you have a Macbook that is one or two years old and the only thing you use it for is surfing the internet, the stick with what you have.

3. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just curious. What is it that your macbook can no longer do?

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I think because SSDs are still very new and getting cheaper, people are beginning to realize how much more speed you can gain from buying one. That and adding more RAM can really speed up your computer.

With both of these much cheaper than they were in the past, I think personally I will do that and keep my computer for an extra year or two than I normally would unless even with those upgrades I am unable to do what I want with it.

5. Laco macrumors 6502

Various things. Mostly, multitasking because I reached the ram limit. Also, new versions of STATA (statistics software that I use) takes advantage of quad core processors which I do not have.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Depends on what the bottleneck(s) is/are.

7. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I would rather max the memory out and install an SSD. But you need to explain what you mean by slow? For instance my Safari was struggling with multiple tabs open, mainly because the hard drive kept being used for memory. I put in 8GB yesterday and noted an instant improvement, no slow downs at all. You don't always need to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

8. malman89 macrumors 68000

Only option that made sense to me is to stick with what I have. SSDs are still too expensive for the lack of storage, even though the speeds are tempting. I'm also weary to buy a SSD for my 5 year old laptop. I worry that due to the age + price of an SSD, I'd get something and not get the full return on the investment.

Also, the main bottleneck for me is the (lack of a dedicated) GPU. I'm probably going to save and build a solid $600 gaming rig and hope the MB lives to be my portable option. Either that or I'd go with a Windows laptop if I wanted a new laptop that could do some moderate gaming.

9. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I have a tendency to upgrade first, then replace when out of upgrade options. For a laptop, your options are usually limited to RAM and HDD, so there's not a lot of options. A desktop has many more upgrade options though, so I can usually go 4-5 years easily with one of those.

What I tend to do for a laptop is get the RAM upgraded ASAP as that seems to have the most apparent impact upon system performance. I'll then upgrade the HDD when needed (or if I find a great deal on a larger HDD). It's much easier to do a hdd upgrade on a Mac because it's a quicker process to clone to the new drive or even reinstall and start from scratch.

10. Surely Guest

Surely

The thread title implies a much more fun thread than what it actually is.....:D

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

An extra RAM and an SSD certainly extended the lifespan of my MBP. Some of us don't necessarily require the power of the latest CPUs.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I generally go through a new Mac every few years. Partly because my company reimburses me up to 750 towards the cost and also the resale of the laptop is enough to offset the other portion so I generally don't have too much out of pocket.

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Well I put in a SSD the day I bought my MBP, so really once it starts to slow down (as in not run Photoshop/AfterEffects properly) and become outdated, it'll be time for me to upgrade anyway. That's the reason I chose the first option in the poll.