Would you recommend a Refurbished MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by doubledee, Feb 20, 2014.

1. doubledee macrumors 6502

doubledee

A friend of mine is thinking of buying his first ever computer.

I am trying to encourage him to "think big" and get a really good quality setup so that he can grow into it, and so that he'll take things more seriously.

But, he has a limited budget.

I think if he could learn computing on a MacBook Pro it might really get him excited about learning and computers, but a new one is out of his price-range.

Would you recommend an Apple Refurbished MBP to someone who has really never used a computer?

He said he didn't want to buy a used computer for fear that it would break after the sale and he'd be stuck.

From my research last night, he could get a really nice MBP for about $1,000 from Apple.

I'm not sure what the warranty is, if any?

But I did see that he would get 90-days of free Apple support with basic set-up - just like a new Mac.

Even though he would like to stay under $800, I think for the extra $200, it is worth it to get a Mac versus some crappy PC laptop.

Thoughts?

Debbie

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes, without question. The warranty is the same as new.

3. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I always recommend refurb to everyone. Got one myself.

4. rhp2424 macrumors regular

rhp2424

A nearly non-issue if purchased from Apple refurb store. I too have purchased this way. Strongly recommend it.

5. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

No difference at all with a refurb except the price and the box it comes in. Absolutely worth it.

6. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

Loaded question, but do you think this would make a good "first computer" for someone who was wanting to spend $800...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD101LL/A

This MBP is a little more, but...
    - It would leave a great "first impression"
    - It is high quality
    - Doesn't have to worry about viruses/malware
    - Should be a little easier to learn how to use than a Windows PC
    - He can come to MacRumors and get all kinds of awesome advice!! :D

Am I maybe setting the bar a little too high for him?

Thoughts?

Debbie

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What's the computer going to be used for? Unless you have very specific requirements, I think that's a fine computer - but really, the points you listed would apply to any Mac.

8. Lefty21 macrumors regular

If it were my money I would go with this one: http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...nch-macbook-air-13ghz-dual-core-intel-core-i5

You lose the optical drive and some storage space, but it will be considerably faster with much longer battery life than the 2012 MBP. Also higher resolution and a slightly better integrated GPU. Just something to think about.

Also echo what others have said about buying from the Apple refurb store.

9. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

As someone else said... What does he want to use it for? The best computer in the world is useless if it can't run the right software. For example, if he wants to game on it, is the MacBook in question going to meet his needs? Or if he's just going to interact on Facebook, is it overkill?

Clint

10. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

I'm trying to help he get out of a minimum wage job and join the middle class...

That means he needs to become computer proficient and...
    - Learn to Email
    - Learn to surf the web
    - Learn Office Productivity software
    - Learn to research things online

He also needs a way to...
    - Look for jobs online
    - Maybe research community colleges and classes

A Mac might be a little overkill for what I described above, BUT he won't have to worry about it breaking nearly as much as Windows nor will he have to be worried about virus - which a newbie could get.

And, since he has a better computer with a slightly easier UI, it should make it easier for him to learn and have success with it.

"It just works" kind of thing, you know?

Debbie

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

To the question of whether Mac refurbs are worth the "risk": absolutely yes. They are perfect, and have a long and successful track record.

To the question of whether a Mac would be a good first computer: probably. However, if one of your goals is to help your friend learn computer skills that will make him employable, then it might be a good idea to have him learn Windows. Ideally he would learn to make his way around both. It looks good on the resume too.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Just don't let him watch YouTube videos and he should be okay.

13. Lefty21 macrumors regular

This is excellent advice.

14. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

I agree. It got me to thinking.

So let's expand that sub-topic...

Currently, this guy does custodial type work.

As far as I know, he wouldn't likely go into computers or office or business types of jobs.

I think he is interested in trying to get into a trade school to maybe be a plumber or electrician.

The reason I have been egging him on to get a computer is more for the educational value. (Sorry, but life is pretty limiting if you don't know what's going on in Syria, or what the Affordable Care Act says, or how the economy is doing, or what is happening in North Korea, and so on...)

Also, getting a computer would help me gain "life skills". After all, even plumbers and electricians need to know how to send an e-mail or Google something, or whatever, right?

So, based on what I said above, how limiting would it be if his first computer was a Mac?

I totally see the benefit of knowing Windows 8 or IE or MS Word, but was focusing more on him just getting comfortable using a mouse or trackpad, learning how to connect to the Internet and then surf it, learning how to send e-mails, learning how to looks things up which he doesn't know, etc.

It still seems like the level of entry is easier on a Mac.

Also, I have this fear of him throwing his PC out the first time his Windows Registry becomes corrupt, or he gets a Windows Virus, or he gets a "Blue Screen of Death", yeah know?

Sincerely,

Debbie

15. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Ah, ok. Well, if those things you listed above were all he really needs to know, then sure, a Mac would be a great first computer for the very reasons you stated -- it's straightforward and simple.

I was envisioning someone being interviewed for an office job such as a receptionist, secretary, admin assistant, data entry clerk, etc. where suddenly "I know how to use a Mac" might not cut it in an office environment which uses Windows, Word, Excel, etc. (Or vice versa, if the office uses Macs and the prospective candidate were to balk because all he knew was Windows).

Sounds like you are thinking that computer skills wouldn't be as prominent, so in this case I think a Mac would be fine.

Does your friend know his way around an iPad? I wonder if that might be a more gentle introduction to some of the concepts like browsing the web, sending emails, and so on.

16. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

He could use something like VMware's Mac Fusion or Parallels or VirtualBox (bring your own Windows installer). This way you friend could still use some Windows programs he needs.

17. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Apple Refurbished is the best way to buy Apple computers. Same warranty as new, and they look/feel like brand new. I think all but 2 purchases in the past several years have been refurbished for me. I just didn't want to wait for the latest iPads to hit the refurb store.

18. cosolin macrumors newbie

Absolutely. I'be bought many refurbished products, computers and iPads, from Apple without any problems. I've always purchased AppleCare for any portable computer since they tend to be subject to a little more abuse and are more susceptible to failure. But, the good thing with AppleCare, you don't have to buy it at time of purchase. Sure you only get 90 days of call-in tech support if you don't buy it with the computer, but you have up to a year from date of purchase to buy AppleCare. It then extends your 1-year warranty an additional 2 years. Buy it from a third party and you can save up to $100 off of Apple's MSRP. Has always paid off in the end.

19. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

He is literally a janitor with nothing more than a high school diploma.

While he may have played around on someone else's computer once or twice, I am assuming that this is like "teaching grandma to use a computer"!! :p

Nice guy, and has lots of potential, but if someone isn't there to hold his hand, he will be lost.

And things that all of us take for granted (e.g. using a track-pad or bookmarking a page or opening up an app) will be MAJOR accomplishments for him.

To me, and I could be wrong, a Mac would increase the chances that he can succeed learning computer basics.

Unfortunately this is tough, because I will be moving, and soon he will be on his own. But it is my hope that *if* he bought a refurbished Mac and maybe took some classes at the local library, and took advantage of this website, that doing it on a Mac would be easier than on a PC.

Debbie