Would you recommend buying $79 applecare for IPAD 1?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by andrewlgm, May 16, 2011.

1. andrewlgm macrumors 6502

andrewlgm

Just got an email from apple stating my 1-year warranty is almost up for my Ipad 1, should I go for it? It's $80 on top of $650 which I paid a year ago.

My original ipad was exchanged due to wifi issues. I havent had a problem with my second one in almost 10 months. I think that guarantees that it's a properly functioning unit... I'm thinking that if it lasts another year, by the time ipad 3 rolls out, I will have gotten the use out of my ipad anyway, and can just hand it down to a family member, and use the $80 towards a new ipad 3.

Or is that risky? Does anybody out there know if ipads tends to go down after the first year of use. I still have a fully functioning original iphone which has a longer battery life than my 3gs, so I'm hoping for the same quality.

2. jmthigpen macrumors regular

it would be a waste of money - just enjoy your iPad

3. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

4. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I am in the same boat and, even though my iPad has performed flawlessly, I sill plan to purchase AppleCare for peace of mind as I intend to hang onto my original iPad until at least next iteration.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Rule number 1 for any and all Apple Products.... ALWAYS BUY APPLE CARE. Any repair will be more than the $80, and it is a small cost for a $700 item. I always buy it for my Macs and my iPhone, and will for my iPad when I get one in the future.

TEG

7. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I never buy Apple Care and never had any problem that I didn't walk into the Genius bar and get fixed before 1 year was up

8. Built macrumors 68020

I agree with you. It is a small price to pay, AND it enhances resale value if that is somebody's intent (not mine, though).

I'm actually a bit in "overkill" mode because I always get Apple Care AND Square Trade. Apple Care takes care of me with 2 years of tech support, etc. AND within those two years, Apple is very generous (in my experience) with swap-outs if an item is defective (i.e. a 1.5 year iPhone was replaced at the Apple Store without issue since I had Apple Care).

Square Trade takes care of accidental damage and handling and if for any reason, I don't get satisfaction from Apple.

Peace of mind is well worth the added expense. :) (Though for most people Apple Care would suffice. :))

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I got AppleCare for my iMac, but not for my iDevices. Reason being, I hope to keep my iMac for 4-5 years, but with the iDevices, I figure if one breaks after using it for more than a year, then that'd be the perfect excuse to upgrade to the next one. :p

10. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

technology is disposable and renewable. why bother with applecare on any apple product other than a computer? you're GOING to buy that new ipad every year, you're GOING to buy that new iphone every year so what's the point? i've upgraded both my iphone and ipad every year therefore never needing the extended warranty. i'm sure many of you have done the same and will continue to do so.

11. Janet1 macrumors member

I prefer to buy Best Buy's warranty over Apple Care because BB warranties against user neglect/abuse, Apple Care doesn't.

Yes, I'm probably going to buy the new model as they come out, and normally do pass old models that are still functional on to someone else, but that "someone else" is usually a family member and I wouldn't want to stick a family member with an expensive repair bill.