Would you recommend purchasing anti- virus software for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jemshads, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Jemshads macrumors newbie

I just bought an iMac this past week and was wondering if I should buy the 9.99 Kaspersky antivirus software? I know that Mac offers updates that keep their computers safer then PC's but still need to know if it is good to have the extra security from the software.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus software to protect Mac OS X from malware. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    There have been many reports of antivirus apps creating performance problems with Lion. They are not recommended.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Sometimes the anti-virus apps themselves make the system more vulnerable,not less.

4. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

Not sure how you're connecting to internet, but I'd make sure you have good firewall protection with your router as well as make sure your OSX firewall is on too...

See System Preferences > Personal section > Security > Firewall tab...

If you want extra protection and don't need file sharing, etc, you can click the 'Advanced' button and select 'Block all incoming connections'...

5. heyloo macrumors 6502

Yeah you don't need anti-virus on your Mac really. Especially with Apple's security updates and firewall, you're probably safer without an antivirus than a Windows computer with one ;)

I just have Clam AV on my Mac for those in-case situations when I need to send or receive files from a PC, but I rarely use it if at all. It's free so I figured why not. I'm not sure if it even offers real time protection but I don't have it turned on anyway.

6. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

I have my osx firewall on but was wondering what the recommended settings on the extreme are.

7. RinCa macrumors newbie

8. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I believe thats a 2 or 3 year old, incorrect, story.

See the headline here but then read down to the bottom.