Would you replace a 2013 Mac Pro with the new Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by CLS727, Nov 8, 2018.

1. CLS727 macrumors regular

CLS727

These are my current specs.... how much of an upgrade would I be looking at? Or not worth it?

I think 16GB Ram is enough for me.... with the top spec i7.

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 8.32.14 AM.png

2. pl1984 macrumors 68000

What is your current / intended use for these Macs? What is the disk space of your Mac Pro?

3. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

Even with the D300 it would be a downgrade of the graphics unless you went to an eGPU.

4. CLS727 thread starter macrumors regular

CLS727

My daily use is just a lot of multi-tasking + media server.

I have the big Samsung 49" CHG90 Ultra-Wide.... and all day long I have iMessage, Skype, and WhatsApp up with about 10+ Chrome tabs..... and it's also a full-time Plex server with a 4TB external drive full of movies shared to a handful of people..... plus a 200GB library of personal photos/videos & 30GB of iTunes music.

I don't do video editing or any Adobe stuff.... just a lot of Microsoft Excel and QuickBooks Online.

My heaviest use case when I'm working is to just have multiple video streams going at once.... with this big screen, I like to have CNN, ESPN, and movie playing all at once (muted) in small windows while I'm going through my emails.

This was really my question I guess since the Mini's only have the integrated graphics.

But I don't know what I do that really needs a heavy duty GPU anyway??

5. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

Decoding Internet video streams is not high end. If you can, go to an Apple store and try opening 4 video windows on one screen to see how well it works.

6. pl1984 macrumors 68000

Based on this feedback I would say no, keep your Mac Pro. It appears to meet all your existing and future needs and spending money on a Mac Mini is wasted money.

7. CLS727 thread starter macrumors regular

CLS727

The only place I feel it's lacking is the Xeon E5 is a big of a dog with Plex.... when I'm watching movies at home sometimes the transcoding can't keep up.... and I've read that the i5/i7 type CPU's are better suited. True?

8. archer75 macrumors 68010

I don't know anything about the xeons but i've not had any issues with plex and any i7 i've used, including 1st gen. On a ATV use infuse. It has it's own codecs so no transcoding. And it connects to plex server.
    I have a Intel 5820, 5th gen 6 core CPU I use in my PC and the new i7 in the mini is faster than that. I have streamed 5 simultaneous plex streams that were transcoding without issue. And I stream 4k in the home only and it's flawless. I am using a wired connection on everything.

9. pl1984 macrumors 68000

Oh, you failed to mention this issue. Then yes, the new Mac Mini would be a better fit. Sell off the 6,1 Mac Pro and buy a new Mini with the proceeds.

10. th0masp, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

th0masp macrumors member

You could also look into upgrading the CPU on your Mac pro. Looks like you have the low-end one. If your task makes use of several cores then the Xeon E5-2667v2 seems to be the best option (also best among the available models when it comes to single core).

I'd expect the CPU in the new Mini to be a good chunk faster for single core speed regardless though.

edit: archer75 brought up what could be the dealbreaker in your case: wired connection vs. wireless. the former is bound to be faster/more reliable.

11. radus macrumors 6502

We are replacing a 2008 MacPro, we never thought about buying the 2013 Mac Pro.
    But we will keep our 2010 MacPro's until the osx support ends.

12. CLS727 thread starter macrumors regular

CLS727

Well I went ahead and did it.

Not sure how much of an upgrade it is? Seems about the same.

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 12.48.34 PM.png

13. uller6 macrumors regular

uller6

Any idea on the differences in total system power consumption? I'm considering retiring my nMP (same specs as yours) but I love the quiet particularly during full load. This is the quietest computer I've ever had and I never want to go back to anything louder.

14. CLS727 thread starter macrumors regular

CLS727

No noticeable difference in noise. They are both pretty quiet.

Since this is a much smaller/leaner and NEWER device... I can't imagine it would use more power.

I lose the dedicated GPU's, but gain a much more modern CPU that's more suited for my daily use.

15. th0masp macrumors member

Since you seem unsure if the upgrade was worth it - are the streaming performance issues solved on the new computer?

16. CLS727, Nov 15, 2018 at 10:30 AM
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018 at 10:37 AM

CLS727 thread starter macrumors regular

CLS727

I haven't been able to test it yet as a Plex server... still moving things over (because I'm reorganizing at the same time)

The other thing I am doing is having all my movie files converted into "original quality optimized mp4's" via Plex so that it's not having to transcode on the fly.... and the files themselves will be smaller

I will report back but my hope is to solve the error I was getting:
    https://support.plex.tv/articles/20...not-powerful-enough-to-convert-video-message/

17. th0masp macrumors member

I see. It would be interesting to hear if the newer CPU solves that problem.

My perception is that CPUs have barely improved single core performance in quite a number of years - so I find it a little surprising that a Xeon from that generation would be considered too weak. Perhaps I'm just trying to reassure myself though since I decided against getting this Mini and rather went for the Trashcan. ;)

18. tpivette89 macrumors regular

tpivette89

Even the i3 in the mini scores higher than any Xeon V2 series in the trashcan in single core performance. The i7 absolutely crushes it.

Best single core score for the trashcan is the (non factory installed) E5-2667 V2 which scores around 4000. The i7 in the mini hits over 5500.

I, too, was looking at the 6,1 for a little while, until I saw what this little Mini was capable of

19. th0masp macrumors member

Sure - I looked at those numbers too but that's what - a 25% increase achieved in a span of six years? I doubt for interactive tasks - where single core matters - I'd even really notice that kind of performance gain when sitting in front of a machine (unless I have two setups side by side, doing the exact same thing).

In my case I wanted the option to put in my own storage and something more capable on the GPU side (without adding another box) so it's all good here btw. :)

20. tpivette89, Nov 15, 2018 at 4:27 PM
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018 at 5:57 PM

tpivette89 macrumors regular

tpivette89

Actually, if you’re starting from 4000 and upgrading to 5500, thats about a 38% increase. And that’s assuming you have a 2667 CPU in your 6,1 to start with (which most don’t). If not, the gap gets even wider...

However, the ability to upgrade the internal storage capacity on the 6,1 is a clear advantage for the Mac Pro. Not to mention, while youre limited to either the dual D300/500/700, those are still leagues ahead of the integrated graphics in the Mini.

21. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

@CLS727 congrats on the Mac Mini, I've owned the Mac Pro 2013 for a short time and I was very underwhelmed with performance, I had a 4k and a 1080p monitor connected and the responsiveness was sluggish compared to my i7 4ghz hackintosh.

But one area where the Mac Pro blew me away though was silence, I couldn't believe how dead quiet that beauty was.

I'm curious to see if you have the multiple video streams and playback like you mentioned, how the noise would compare vs the Mac Pro.

22. th0masp macrumors member

I have two issues with the Mac Pro over the Mini: 1. no power light on the front so to check if it's running I have to place my hand over the exhaust 2. Power button is really well hidden under the ports. You hardly ever need it but when you do - what a drag. How hard would it have been to at least add a light on the front instead of that gimmicky illumination when you move the machine?

23. jclmavg macrumors regular

jclmavg

Thought about this but no. I have two 2013 nMPs, one 8-core and one 12-core. The synthetic benchmarks that are thrown around for the new mini sure are nice, until you realise these are unrealistic when the Mac Mini is operating under (full) load and performance in such a situation at least drops by 20% (see the temperature thread) and the Cpu heats up to 100 degrees.

24. HenryAZ macrumors 6502a

HenryAZ

I plan to do just this, as soon as this year's tax refund appears, if for no other reason than stepping up to TB3. I can sell my Mac Pro for about the amount the new Mini will cost me, but I need to get the Mini going first.

25. pl1984 macrumors 68000

Last weekend I attempted to work with Mini buyers to perform real world benchmarks to test the performance under load. Unfortunately no one was willing to work with me on it.