Would you replace your IMAC/MBP for the Ipad 3 if...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bakasurvivor, Mar 3, 2012.

1. bakasurvivor, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

bakasurvivor macrumors newbie

The IPAD 3 is really something incredible.. Retina Display, quad cpu, 2gb ram, ms office and lets say that (to much fantasy i know) but it really comes with IOS6 and is awesome. Of course I mean REGULAR people I study chemistry so I don't really need that much power, if you are into heavy stuff (video/photo edition, etc) the answer is obvious of course...

Not because Im cheap but in terms of simplicity, getting rid of stuff I don't need.. I would totally replace my IMAC for the IPAD3. I will get rid of my big desk and buy a small desk just in case I need to write and buy the apple tv to stream everything on my IPAD3 to my Panasonic plasma vt30 :D

2. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

3. bakasurvivor thread starter macrumors newbie

You can't see that tablets are the future? Maybe is to soon but it will. Lets see that the IPAD3 can bring.

4. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If a iPad could replace your computer, you really did not need a computer to begin with. :eek:

6. maclook macrumors 65816

7. bakasurvivor thread starter macrumors newbie

No, not really. Actually I use my IPAD2 MORE than I use my IMAC. And I know a LOT of people that only use the computer for simple tasks or stupid tasks (facebook, youtube, etc) that an IPAD could easily replace their computer.

----------

for what you need more than 2gb of ram? explain me

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I will say it again. If your iPad could replace your computer completely, you really did not need a computer.

Think about it. Is that hard to understand?

So you know people who only use computers for "stupid tasks"? They really did not need a computer did they?:p

9. maclook macrumors 65816

I'm just saying there's a 0% chance iPad 3 will have 2gb of ram and iOS6

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Explain me? The iPad is great for browsing and playing but serious work requires a computer. How old are you?

11. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

You try doing any serious photoshop work with 2gb of ram. I use my iPad for watching movies on the go or reading books. That's about it. Tablets are the future...yes....of MOBILE computing. If you do nothing but check Facebook and post stupid questions on forums then perhaps I can see the iPad replacing a computer, but for normal people i would say no chance.

12. MrJay23 macrumors member

13. Steveht37 macrumors newbie

okay, maybe I am a bit myopic too but I actually agree with where the OP is going with this. If I can have MS Office (so I don't have compatibility issues in sending documents) and a bluetooth keyboard why can't I do this?

I would love to free my desk the computer look. I do have a 50" TV in my office so I could attach an Apple TV and airplay my screen to that when I need to share information. With the new resolution it would make spreadsheets more doable.

And as to the last poster "How old are you?" I am a senior executive with a large and successful business. I would love to have my whole work pc with me in such a portable form...and how old are you?

The future involves change and many in this world would still be riding horses to work if not for people willing to push boundaries and limits...consider where you position yourself.

14. dogegg macrumors member

Not really an answer to your question but I'm considering replacing my MBP with an IMac and an IPad 3. IMac for the greater power at home and then IPad for all my mobile needs.

15. bakasurvivor thread starter macrumors newbie

I had the IMAC before the IPAD2. So little by little i had been using the IPAD2 more than my IMAC. If i had the IPAD2 before my IMAC then I probable end up not buying the IMAC. That's why I feel that the IPAD3 could totally replace (at least for me) and many people that I know.

Yes, they need a computer for stupid tasks. But could replace it for an IPAD.

16. Liquinn Suspended

No way. I barely use my iPad, I usually use my Mac Mini and iPhone the most. But there's no way the iPad could replace anything of mine really.

17. bakasurvivor, Mar 3, 2012

bakasurvivor thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm 22 and I'm a chemistry student at SDSU. And for what I need the IPAD capabilities are enough.

18. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

There are people who use every hertz and every byte of their computers.

If all you do is browsing the internet, music and some video, even a smartphone could be enough.

Try modelling on SolidWorks with a computer spec-comparable to the iPad.

:rolleyes:

19. Stealthipad, Mar 3, 2012

Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

While I agree that the future involves change, we are still a LONG WAY form the iPad coming close to replacing my desktops or laptop. What you would love to do and what you can do with the iPad are two different thinks.

I own my own company and have 30+ employees and our company is not going to be running on iPads for a long time. the day that the iPad can do all you dream of will come but it sure will not be the iPad 3 or 4 or . . . . . ...

----------

Please understand then, you do not NEED a computer now, right?

20. bakasurvivor thread starter macrumors newbie

Define "serious work". If you define that as heavy photo and video edition well some people don't need that. I could easily survive with a 1gb ram old computer with MS office to finish my chemistry major.

----------

I don't need photoshop and actually normal people i would say are the one who don't use heavy tasks and spend more time browsing, watching movies, and playing around.

----------

What if IOS6 is more similar to OSX than IOS5?

----------

Thank you very much! At least someone understand me.

21. colshine macrumors regular

colshine

I bought an iPad 2 at launch and myself using it instead of my MBP as the mobile device. It's great for catching up on work/surfing etc. while commuting but when I need to do serious work there is no substitute for a desktop/laptop. I could see myself replacing the MBP with an iMac but I don't think a tablet could replace computers altogether.

22. Steveht37 macrumors newbie

If my company ever fails enough that I have only 30 employees I may reconsider...just kidding...well done on building a strong company.

I don't plan on having my employment base use them, just me. I know my computer use and what limitations it could cause, but I think I will benefit from the trailblazing. Also, I would never impose this on another person...just like I wouldn't knock someone who tried.

23. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

It's all about screen space and the ability to have multiple programs running and being able to use them side by side. The iPad is an amazing device but it's not a replacement for a computer. Not yet.

24. erawsd macrumors 6502

I agree with this. The reason my iPad can't replace the desktop experience is due to how poorly multitasking is handled. I'd love it if Apple stole the "snap" style multitasking from Win8, it would work wonderfully with a retina resolution.

25. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...