Would you return/exchange this mac? Backlight issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Talkingtoaster, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Talkingtoaster, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

Talkingtoaster macrumors regular

Talkingtoaster

Hi all, new here and new to macs. Bye bye windows and adios.

Spent a lot of time reading up on the 15" macpro screen issues from last year. As a result trying to find the manufacturer if this screen either LG or Sam. A lot of reading and learnt a lot. I deduce all this years 2014 Mac Pro refresh systems are most likely LG panels but no way to tell for sure.

Overall I was happy with the screen but what's really getting to me is what I learn is called uneven backlight, not screen bleed? Basically the main issue is the bottom edge in the centre, the light is much brighter. You notice this when on a web page and you are scrolling down slowly, so much brighter up that central line. On full black backgrounds it's fine, but on grey or white it's there.

Also my rear apple logo looks slightly pink. But that doesn't bother me as much as this screen issue. I'm not a professional graphic designer but I do a little work on jewellery from pictures I take. I understand many macs are bought by graphic designers so this issue would surely be a problem for them?

It shows up quite well on pictures, the pink apple logo appears white on pictures so I can't show you that.

Please comment if I should return this or do I run the risk of other issues?

It's getting on my nerves to be honest and I expect more for a £1000 computer.

https://flic.kr/p/oNNXkY

https://flic.kr/p/owkXf4

2. drogba macrumors member

Well it sounds like you just recently purchased this so you're still in your warranty period. Take it back to an apple store immediately and tell them the problems you're facing. They will help, take a look, and probably repair it to brand new. Also, if you bought Apple Care, just take it in, they'll fix it no problem.

3. Talkingtoaster thread starter macrumors regular

Talkingtoaster

Thanks for replying. Yes its brand new I bought it last thursday. I have spoken to the retailer and reserved another one to exchange tomorrow.

4. drogba macrumors member

No problem. Good to know you got hooked up so quickly, but a week-old computer having that kind of a problem should be replaced by ANY manufacturer. Probably not the case in some instances but I guess I'm used to Apple's exceptional customer service. Hope the new one works out like gangbusters. Take advantage of your warranty/apple care as much as you can while you have it. It's what it's there for.

5. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that would bug the crap outta me, too.

I'd say definitely get it sorted out while you're still in the "no questions asked" period of your warranty.