would you return your new Macbook Pro over this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deblewis, Jun 6, 2015.

1. deblewis macrumors member

So today I bought the new 15" dGPU Macbook Pro... absolutely love it...

I ran home took it out of the box, sat down on the sofa and spent three hours setting up and loading software... I decided to take a break and closed it.. admiring my new shiny toy I was turning it this way and that and noticed two decent sized dents on the bottom... they are rather noticeable.. how I didn't see them to begin with I'm not sure... guess i was just focused on wanting to get things setup..

Now I'm debating if I should take it back tomorrow... uugghhh...

2. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

You paid for perfection. Two dents are not perfection. I would return it and be happy

3. Sully macrumors regular

Sully

Of course. It's a new computer.

You paid a premium for Apple quality and it should be perfect.

4. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I would return it. It's a bit late for you, but I always check any purchase at the store just to be sure everything is OK. I recently had a mobo replaced and they messed up the install so some ports did not work properly. we discovered that during a final system test before I took it home and Apple would up replacing the whole machine since they couldn't easily fix it.

5. Smoothie macrumors 6502

Factory-supplied dents are not acceptable. You need to make your own. I returned a new MBP in 2007 which had a dent over one of the port openings where the metal was thinner. Easy exchange.

6. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Would I return my new $1500-3000 computer over a dented case right out of the box? Yes, in a freaking heartbeat.

7. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

Everything screams return. If you can prove your store-bought model had the dents in them right out of the box I wouldn't even make this thread and return it instantly.

8. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Sounds like it would be a quick and easy fix for them to swap out your bottom plate.

9. newellj macrumors 601

I wouldn't let them do that. We haven't seen the dents, but the electronics pretty well fill the case. Whether it's the battery or the logic board or something else, I wouldn't accept a cosmetic fix where there could be physical/electrical damage. Or to put it another way, if your machine wasn't working properly, and it had a couple of dents in the bottom of the case, do you think Apple would ignore the possibility of user-caused physical damage? Accept only a new replacement, and I mean new, in a new box. If they won't do that, return it and buy a new one.

10. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

I would get it swapped out. You paid a lot for the MBP, and should get nothing short of perfection. Send it back :)

11. gordian macrumors member

Hopefully there's some way to determine/prove that the dents were not your own doing, otherwise you might not even have the return option. Either way, you should definitely attempt to return it and swap it out.

Mine arrived 3 weeks ago with a squeaky and loose key. At first it was a minor annoyance but I plan to get at least 3-5 years of life out of the machine so I decided to call Apple and they were happy to replace it. I can't stand dealing with the retail stores so did the whole thing by mail and it was definitely annoying to wait for the replacement then have to reload everything, but in the end I knew that a squeaky key would slowly give me brain damage over 3-5 years. It seemed nit picky when I described the problem but the rep I spoke with agreed—I paid for perfection. You paid for it too, might as well get it.

12. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Take it back as many said you paid for perfection. It is supposed to be a new product w/o any defects.

13. deblewis thread starter macrumors member

Well I took it back today and they gave me an exchange, no problem... I feel much better! those dents would have always been on my mind... now I'm a happy little camper... :)