Would you run Leopard on your Mac Pro as a Server?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UrsaMajor, Oct 20, 2007.

?

Would you run a mission critical (business) server with Leopard on it?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2007.
  1. Yes, I have no problem with it.

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Maybe, I'd have to test it and see how stable it is

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. No. I would wait for several updates before using it

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  4. No opinion

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. UrsaMajor macrumors regular

We're in the process of setting up a mac pro Server now. The IT guy said he'd rather leave Tiger on now (he'd install it if I really wanted him to), and wait a while until switching over to avoid any issues since is a brand new OS. Since the Mac Pro was bought in Oct. I can get the 9.99 copy. I'm following his advice because he's the expert.

I'd imagine all Mac Pros after the release will have Leopard running in them. Would you trust your Mission critical data to a new APPLE OS? I know I'd never would with anything with Microsoft without a long wait for service packs.

Are we missing anything important in Leopard that would warrant taking the risk of using it at the start?

2. Yoursh macrumors 6502

Is it going to run the reagular version of OSX or the server version? Though my answer would be the same either way. Get the update disc's but start with tiger. If the system is for mission critical work you want to have a stable os. All new os's have bugs to work out at first. Especially with software compatibility. Also, it sounds like you will have a seperate IT group serviceing the Mac Pro. They most likely haven't worked with leopard that much since it's not out yet. You really don't want your system to be the one that they learn on.

Let leopard mature a bit, then go ahead and throw the upgrade disc's in. It won't cost you anything extra but most likely will save you and the IT guys many headaches.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, you do mean leopard server, right?

i would backup everything, and then upgrade to leopard server. then if you have a big problem, you could always go back to tiger

4. Catch macrumors 6502

We just installed an Xraid and Xserve in our office running server version...Personally I would not do it. I guess it would depend on how much hassle and downtime you would have if something went wrong. Even with a backup the disruption would not be worth it to me as Tiger is running just fine. My data is far to valuable to me to take the step until at least 3 months of reports come in...

Regards,

C

5. seany916 macrumors 6502

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

You don't just do that sort of thing with a server.

Stick with Tiger for the first 6 months or so, let other people find all the problems associated with a new OS.