Would you run Leopard on your Mac Pro as a Server?

Would you run a mission critical (business) server with Leopard on it?

  • Yes, I have no problem with it.

    Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Maybe, I'd have to test it and see how stable it is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • No. I would wait for several updates before using it

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • No opinion

    Votes: 3 11.5%

  • Total voters
    26
  • Poll closed .

UrsaMajor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2007
130
0
We're in the process of setting up a Mac Pro Server now. The IT guy said he'd rather leave Tiger on now (he'd install it if I really wanted him to), and wait a while until switching over to avoid any issues since is a brand new OS. Since the Mac Pro was bought in Oct. I can get the 9.99 copy. I'm following his advice because he's the expert.

I'd imagine all Mac Pros after the release will have Leopard running in them. Would you trust your Mission critical data to a new APPLE OS? I know I'd never would with anything with Microsoft without a long wait for service packs.

Are we missing anything important in Leopard that would warrant taking the risk of using it at the start?
 

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
326
0
MN
Is it going to run the reagular version of OSX or the server version? Though my answer would be the same either way. Get the update disc's but start with tiger. If the system is for mission critical work you want to have a stable os. All new os's have bugs to work out at first. Especially with software compatibility. Also, it sounds like you will have a seperate IT group serviceing the Mac Pro. They most likely haven't worked with leopard that much since it's not out yet. You really don't want your system to be the one that they learn on.

Let leopard mature a bit, then go ahead and throw the upgrade disc's in. It won't cost you anything extra but most likely will save you and the IT guys many headaches.
 

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
15,307
25
Right side of wrong
yeah, you do mean leopard server, right?

i would backup everything, and then upgrade to leopard server. then if you have a big problem, you could always go back to tiger
 

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
368
0
London, UK
We just installed an Xraid and Xserve in our office running server version...Personally I would not do it. I guess it would depend on how much hassle and downtime you would have if something went wrong. Even with a backup the disruption would not be worth it to me as Tiger is running just fine. My data is far to valuable to me to take the step until at least 3 months of reports come in...

Regards,

C
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.