Would you sacrifice having a thinner iOS device to have more battery power?

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
If the iPhone 5/5s was same thickness as the iPhone 4/4s, Apple could have crammed in a 2000mAH battery.

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
I'm very happy with the current trade off - a thinner device with a highly efficient operating system that maximises battery life. So no.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
yes defiantly prefer better battery then thinner. I put a outer box case on it so it being thing isn't even noticed.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Definitely. The 4/4S was thing enough for me and the 5/5S definitely was. Keep the current thickness and add battery capacity.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Anything thinner than a 5/5S is too thin in my opinion, too difficult to pick up off a flat surface.
In a larger handset (4.7" & 5.5"), there is a lot of scope to stick a bigger battery in. Apple will no doubt disregard this and minimise the available space with a thin unibody. They always seem to be happy with keeping battery runtime similar to the outgoing iPhone.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I'm happy with the current thinness of the 5s. If they get thinner, considerably anyway, I hope they don't sacrifice any battery life. I easily make it through the day with plenty of battery life leftover, but that doesn't mean I want to have a thinner one and less power.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Is everyone ready? I'm going to say my thoughts... Don't shoot me. I know it's going to happen.

Ok I would sacrifice battery life for a thinner phone :eek:. I know I know you already want to it off my head. I like battery life just as much as the next guy but all the rumors are pointing to a larger phone. I would like to keep my one hand useage. One way that helps with one had useage is thinner. I would love to have battery life too. I have had my phone die on me a ton of times. And I could carry a battery pack but I don't always remember to. That's my thoughts. I would just like to remind every one before you go all insane on me a rip me a new ass, we can all have are own opinions. We don't all need to have the same opinions.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Happy with the battery on my 5S. Do jot want a thinner phone as there are too many cases of bent phones as it is. Enough with the thin, make it larger and thick enough to have structural integrity for most to use and not worry about it bending.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Would you sacrifice having a thinner iOS device to have more battery power?

Is everyone ready? I'm going to say my thoughts... Don't shoot me. I know it's going to happen.

Ok I would sacrifice battery life for a thinner phone :eek:. I know I know you already want to it off my head. I like battery life just as much as the next guy but all the rumors are pointing to a larger phone. I would like to keep my one hand useage. One way that helps with one had useage is thinner. I would love to have battery life too. I have had my phone die on me a ton of times. And I could carry a battery pack but I don't always remember to. That's my thoughts. I would just like to remind every one before you go all insane on me a rip me a new ass, we can all have are own opinions. We don't all need to have the same opinions.

I respect your opinion and don't fault you on it.

However I find thickness to not matter (at least for me) for one handed use.

The way I hold my phone the bottom joint of my thumb already hovers 1 1/2" - 2" from the screen. Stretched the the farthest corner it's still 1/2" or so away. So adding an extra millimeter or so would be of no consequence for me to how I use the phone.

I also noticed when using a lifeproof case which is relatively thin compared to an otterbox defender which is relatively thick makes little difference in one handed use. And actually the lifeproof was slightly harder to use because it was taller.

That is just my experience and I understand other will vary but thickness (within reason) doesn't affect me. So I'd prefer the same or slightly thicker for something that does affect me, battery life.

Last edited:

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
Well, I understand why Apple goes for thinner and thinner from a Designers point of view: It just looks super futuristic and nice and even more important: It makes thicker competitors look like ugly stone phones from the last decade. And I have to admit: When I had an iPod touch of the current generation and an iPhone 5(S) next to it in my hands, I really wanted the iPhone to be more like the iPod.

I don't think Apple would design a Phone that doesn't even last a day, but I think they are taking a wrong usage for reference: An iPhone easily lasts a whole day, maybe even 2, but on moderate usage. But on heavy usage it dies faster than a polar bear in the desert... So I really would like Apple to push the battery to a point, where it lasts all day even if I'm in an low coverage area and watching movies or so. :cool:

tl:dr : yes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.