Would you sacrifice having a thinner iOS device to have more battery power?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by belltree, Jul 3, 2014.

1. belltree, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

belltree macrumors 6502

2. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

Oh yes definitely. Not too thick but it doesn't have to be super thin

3. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

If the iPhone 5/5s was same thickness as the iPhone 4/4s, Apple could have crammed in a 2000mAH battery.

4. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I'll take a fatter device for more battery...

5. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

My vote goes to "Thicker but with more battery time". :D

6. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I'm very happy with the current trade off - a thinner device with a highly efficient operating system that maximises battery life. So no.

7. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

8. SchuettS macrumors 6502

Yes, but apples focus seems to be in the other direction.

9. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I would give up battery to have a thinner device.

10. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

yes defiantly prefer better battery then thinner. I put a outer box case on it so it being thing isn't even noticed.

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

YES YES and YES I can bo content with the depth of the 4S and have more battery life.

12. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Definitely. The 4/4S was thing enough for me and the 5/5S definitely was. Keep the current thickness and add battery capacity.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Anything thinner than a 5/5S is too thin in my opinion, too difficult to pick up off a flat surface.
    In a larger handset (4.7" & 5.5"), there is a lot of scope to stick a bigger battery in. Apple will no doubt disregard this and minimise the available space with a thin unibody. They always seem to be happy with keeping battery runtime similar to the outgoing iPhone.

14. apple-tea macrumors member

15. lovewd macrumors 6502

lovewd

Too thin could be far worse than a little thick!

16. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

I'll take thicker, can't have too much battery!

17. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

hell yeah! Without a case my actual iPhone 5s would be too small for my hand, I would always drop it, so bigger is better! A longer lasting battery would be great when taking a lot of pictures

18. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Wouldn't sacrifice, but if they could keep the same battery life in a thinner design, it wouldn't bother me.

19. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

20. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm happy with the current thinness of the 5s. If they get thinner, considerably anyway, I hope they don't sacrifice any battery life. I easily make it through the day with plenty of battery life leftover, but that doesn't mean I want to have a thinner one and less power.

21. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Is everyone ready? I'm going to say my thoughts... Don't shoot me. I know it's going to happen.

Ok I would sacrifice battery life for a thinner phone :eek:. I know I know you already want to it off my head. I like battery life just as much as the next guy but all the rumors are pointing to a larger phone. I would like to keep my one hand useage. One way that helps with one had useage is thinner. I would love to have battery life too. I have had my phone die on me a ton of times. And I could carry a battery pack but I don't always remember to. That's my thoughts. I would just like to remind every one before you go all insane on me a rip me a new ass, we can all have are own opinions. We don't all need to have the same opinions.

22. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Happy with the battery on my 5S. Do jot want a thinner phone as there are too many cases of bent phones as it is. Enough with the thin, make it larger and thick enough to have structural integrity for most to use and not worry about it bending.

23. cynics, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

cynics macrumors G4

Would you sacrifice having a thinner iOS device to have more battery power?

I respect your opinion and don't fault you on it.

However I find thickness to not matter (at least for me) for one handed use.

The way I hold my phone the bottom joint of my thumb already hovers 1 1/2" - 2" from the screen. Stretched the the farthest corner it's still 1/2" or so away. So adding an extra millimeter or so would be of no consequence for me to how I use the phone.

I also noticed when using a lifeproof case which is relatively thin compared to an otterbox defender which is relatively thick makes little difference in one handed use. And actually the lifeproof was slightly harder to use because it was taller.

That is just my experience and I understand other will vary but thickness (within reason) doesn't affect me. So I'd prefer the same or slightly thicker for something that does affect me, battery life.

24. Shuri macrumors 6502

Well, I understand why Apple goes for thinner and thinner from a Designers point of view: It just looks super futuristic and nice and even more important: It makes thicker competitors look like ugly stone phones from the last decade. And I have to admit: When I had an iPod touch of the current generation and an iPhone 5(S) next to it in my hands, I really wanted the iPhone to be more like the iPod.

I don't think Apple would design a Phone that doesn't even last a day, but I think they are taking a wrong usage for reference: An iPhone easily lasts a whole day, maybe even 2, but on moderate usage. But on heavy usage it dies faster than a polar bear in the desert... So I really would like Apple to push the battery to a point, where it lasts all day even if I'm in an low coverage area and watching movies or so. :cool:

tl:dr : yes